Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Crusader first reactions?

I'll post a main page vote in a day or two once we've seen more info and formed more opinions, but from the first screens and gameplay... what do you guys think? I wished we'd gotten one of those intro cinematics, like we did with the DH, Monk, and Wizard reveals. Cheesy as the DH's was, they did give us good intros to the characters and their background stories. We got none of that with the Crusader and not even any concept art.

Appearance: Meh. Looks pretty generic to me. Remember pre-d3 all of that "we took character archetypes and gave them a twist" talk? Looks like the twist was ruled out for this guy; he's straight Paladin 2.0 and looks like the Templar in new armor. I await some evocative concept art eagerly. I wasn't a huge fan of the D2 Paladin's look, but at least he had the knight in shining armor thing going. Chrome and gleaming and different than the others. I don't see that for the Crusader yet.

Lore: Not much to say, since they didn't tell us anything yet. Generic good guy knight out to battle evil? Do we at least get the stereotypical "inflexible zeal against evil leaves him unable to accept shades of gray" character type?

Combat: Well, if you missed the Paladin and shield abilities you should be happy. As my main in D3 is a Monk with a shield (Hardcore) I found most of the visuals quite similar. Melee attacks with a sword/shield and glowing rune things on the ground? Yeah, I've done that.

I'm not negative on the class, and might enjoy him and playing him, but I don't feel at all seduced by the presentation thus far. (BTW, the Crusader was the name of the Paladin 2.0 class in Bliz North's D3, back in 2001-2005. Concept art I saw back then had amazing awesome armored looks; gleaming lacquered chrome perfection.)
    --Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

IncGamers Member

Re: Crusader first reactions?

Meh. Feels like too much of a hybrid between classes that are already in D3. Even his shtick, "tanky face" is already the Barbarian's shtick. Need to see more of his skills/passives to see if he has an interesting gameplay element to him.

I like him for the role that he fills. And I appreciate the "grittiness" of the character as opposed to the Paladin in D2. My confusion lies in the fact that the monk is already pretty "holy" at the moment, so I am curious to see what differentiates the two.

IncGamers Member

It was gonna have to be a STR-based melee class for balance purposes, so eh.

I care more about the skills being fun/responsive/innovative than I do about any kind of character concept, since it's not Blizzard is going to make any hay with characterization or anything like that.

IncGamers Member

Not very creative. That much is sure.
    We dont know a whole lot about the class though.

In the end, what I find most interesting will be the new skills for the existing classes. Hopefully they try to recreate some of the classes that currently have a hard time living up to what they 'were supposed to be'. Mostly the wizard, and to a lesser degree DH. Hell, the Barb too, since he wasn't supposed to just be whirlwind incarnated I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan E View Post
    It was gonna have to be a STR-based melee class for balance purposes, so eh.
    If only they had just bothered to fix the main stats, that wouldnt even have been an issue to begin with

All I know is that the mafakka flails around with a flail, that's all I need to know.

Very innovative!!!

...NOT.

Even the name is desperate to be "badass". Overlaps Monk and Barbarian too much. It was necessary since there's a lot of ranged/magic already, but this is just "meh". They were lazy and safe, again.

IncGamers Member

The Paladin was my favorite class in D2. I played him far more than any other character. I'm glad they are doing a shield-based character, but this new Crusader just strikes me as....meh. I think he needs more bells, whistles, and shinies.

I'm curious to hear more about the intended class role. So he's meant to be tankier than a Monk or Barb, but not as fast/damaging as a Barb, and not as fast/AoE as a Monk? I dunno; obviously there will be a variety of builds, but I guess he's going to be more CC or debuff abilities with Shield Bash and such, and holy-style magics? Which will differentiate from barb and Monk in what way?
    --Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

BattleTag Ignatius-1870

They played it too safe, so I'm mostly indifferent toward him. I'm sure there will be some surprises when you get him into your hands and get to mess around with him, but he certainly won't be the reason I'm buying expansion, if I do buy it.

Flails are cool though.