Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Diablo 3 Console TV Spot

Really funny ad, you can never have too much cosplay

IncGamers Member
    Not to be cliche but, Blizzard Sold Out Diablo 3 bro.. It\'s over. Pack your **** and go home guys, there\'s another cold long winter ahead.

Can\'t really compare video game TV ads from 13 years ago to today. Vastly different market and audience and degree of media and tech savvy consumers.

I have no idea if the old D2 ads sold any games; they seemed almost like concept pieces, like someone\'s weird idea of viral marketing before there was viral marketing. This D3 one is just lowest common denominator mindpuke. Like someone said, it could be an ad for Doritos or Budweiser and it reminds me why I don\'t watch TV.

Which isn\'t to say it doesn\'t work, but it seems very lazy and paint by numbers, instead of trying to do something more arresting and vital.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Fizoo-1366
    I\'m not sure what other angle they could take. Maybe a 30 second spot of Laurence Juber strumming some D3 music on a 12 string on stage, with some D3 footage projected behind him on a huge screen, and a large crowd cheering him as he plays.

IncGamers Member
    Winter is coming

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Basel3-2612
    Blizz4rd wants to reach a much larger audience and this ad seems to point in that direction. More people buying the game (even the more or less rehashed console version), more money for Blizz.
    Casual audience, big numbers, big income, no need of maintenance or balance whatsoever...

Captcha: road rage

IncGamers Site Pal
    This is just how things are advertised nowadays.

The advertisements I actually like are few and far between, regardless of whether they\'re for merchandise or services I use or want.

Which is one reason I don\'t watch TV anymore. If I want a TV show, I watch it on Hulu, which although it has ads, has far fewer of them.

BattleTag Craka-1578

Re: Diablo 3 Console TV Spot

I agree with most, Blizzard just wants a bigger audience. This is the future...

That was a great comment because honestly I don\'t know where to start. It\'s funny what people consider in terms of advertising. I think we would all love to have KISS in a commercial, but one does not just simply call up someone famous to endores an ad. Also, depending on what kind of budget you have vs. what the actor/spokesperson wants is another factor.
    As for the color, I will touch on that in another comment in this post.

Alot of people punishing Blizz for this one. They asked an Agency to make this, which is filled with people who do not play video games (trust me, few gamers make ads). And when you get a concept or commercial you don\'t like, chances are you are already millions deep with the agency (So it\'s hard to back out). If you want to blame blizzard, blame them for the approval of this piece, and the agency they chose, and that is it. Keep in mind they had to pick between this and probably 2 or 3 other ideas that were far worse. So I can only image how much WORSE this could of been. But beyond that, an Ad Agency created this. Not Blizzard. Blizz met with Creative Directors and partners for whatever agency did this (I am assuming one of the \"big 4\"). Blizzard requested how many quantities of units they wanted to move. A team of Strategists then worked with the Media Buy team to determine who the market was, and what they liked. This was then handed to copywriters who take statistical information to write a script. Then handed off to Art Directors who concept the piece and cast the actors. Who then hand off to a production company to do the filming.

All Blizzard said was, \"we want to sell X* units of this product.\" And the Ad agency told them that in order to do it, we need to sell to *these* people if you want to turn a profit.\"

I think some people are being overly critical but to that I say, if you don\'t like it, don\'t acknowledge it. That is the best way to kill a bad commercial.