Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers News Service

Diablo 3 Console TV Spot

Blizzard has released a thirty-second TV commercial for the Diablo 3 console. It's laden with sexual innuendo and cosplay, so what are you waiting for?

<****** width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dua6t30Uwpc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

I don't pay much attention to console game marketing (or watch much TV) so I have no idea how common this is... but can anyone speak on the marketing approach here, as compared to other games? For Diablo 3 console commercials I'd have expected more visuals and a big-voiced narrator saying something like, "The fastest selling computer game of all time! The game of the year! The biggest sequel ever from legendary developers Blizzard Entertainment... is now on the console! Play with up to four friends on the same machine, enjoy countless new console-exclusive features, blah blah blah..."

Of course you can debate the veracity of those claims, but that's true of every commercial. My point is that I'd have expected more dignity and majesty and presentation -- playing Diablo 3's success and long history, the pedigree of Blizzard as a computer game designer that doesn't usually stoop to producing console titles, etc. This Diablo 3 ad and the other viral ones we saw previously could be a commercial for any low budget indy game you've never heard of, and they don't seem to make any effort to leverage the power and fame and renown of the developer of the game series in question.

IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 3 Console TV Spot

Erhm... You say you never care or pay attention to console marketing, but wonder why console marketing doesn't appeal to PC gaming company's renown? They don't care about PC's any more than you care about consoles. Also... long history doesn't mean much if you've never played the older games and let's face it, D2 is 13-ish years old at this point.

IncGamers Member
    Everything makes sense now. If you look at the people in the spot, you see what Blizzard obviously had in mind what their target audience would be and accordingly designed the game: dumb, shallow and casual.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Fizoo-1366
    The ad was too colorful. Definitely should have hired KISS to play it during the ad, instead.

This looked like a Doritos/Bud Light commercial. The douche chills were strong watching this one. I really just ****ing hate Blizzard these days.

BattleTag Ignatius-1870
    It reminds me of an ad with Seth Green just talking about Dragon Quest IX for the DS. It\'s like...wha? But I guess it works. In other words: Console gamers are this guy. Or at least someone thinks so. I would have loved to be in on that meeting between Blizz and the ad agency.

IncGamers Member
    Blizzard has lost their epic rep, makes sense they\'re not still trying to play it up or anything.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Fizoo-1366
    Is it really that much different than the D2 ad? The D2 ad showed us almost nothing of gameplay. It was a funny ad with people dressed up in cosplay running around suburbia. Guy wakes up in bed to see the amazon.

That ad was considered a classic by some. This ad feels like it was made to echo that one, with cosplay again.

Maybe the diablo fanbase changed.

Re: Diablo 3 Console TV Spot

Quote Originally Posted by Fizoo View Post
    Is it really that much different than the D2 ad? The D2 ad showed us almost nothing of gameplay. It was a funny ad with people dressed up in cosplay running around suburbia. Guy wakes up in bed to see the amazon.

That ad was considered a classic by some. This ad feels like it was made to echo that one, with cosplay again.

Maybe the diablo fanbase changed.
    Agreed. I didn't have a problem with the ad.

IncGamers Member
    Idk, it seems a wee bit desperate.