Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Giant Diablo 3 Fan Loot fix list

A fan named MrMonstrosity has posted a huge wish list for changes to items and items-based-systems in Diablo 3. It's getting a lot of conversation on B.net and reddit, so I figured a post here would be in order. I will especially note the excellent presentation on the whole thing which makes it worth a look, it only for a scroll down, and bonus points for the marketing. It would be much easier to read and debate if he'd presented his ideas in multiple posts, but combining it all into one huge article and including a bunch of great images has garnered him far more attention than otherwise. So congrats on that.

The Summary of the suggestions:

1. The drop rate of legendary items should scale with quality, and higher quality legs should drop much less often than lower quality ones. (This is in Loot 2.0, when we'll see all Legendaries dropping through all diff levels, with their stats scaled appropriate up or down from current values.) And he wants different graphics on the Legendary drop spotlight to tip off the item type.
    2. Achievements for finding specific legendaries, a lore entry for all (or the best) legendary items, and in-game bonuses for larger achievements, such as +4% damage to 2H swords once you've found all legendary 2H swords.
    3. Ditch all MF from items and Paragon levels, and instead change to a mega Nephalem Valor scheme where you'd gain MF for each stack, with *many* more stacks required to max out MF at 500%. Higher MP levels would yield more NV points per Elite, and some Legendary items would boost NV gain speed.
    4. Crafting: Seven new types of Fiery Brimstones which would correspond to the damage type of the weapon salvaged, and additional new types of ultra rare crafting mats that only drop from specific Purples.
    5. The return of inventory tabs, for separate storage of mats, gems, etc.
    6. Gems. Remove five of the lower gem types to speed the upgrade rate and allow ultra rare drops of higher quality than FS.
    7. Mystic: Buy specific types of upgrades, with higher quality for more gold..
    8. Skill Runes: New 6th rune for each skill that would only be enabled by some special legendaries. Ex. a cold form of Whirlwind only possible with one special Axe equipped.

I like some of the ideas and think others are unworkable, but there's a lot of creativity and it's worth debating. I'll editorialize in a later post, since this one was meant to just present the material w/o much of my opinions. The pics are awesome, though.

--Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

Re: Giant Diablo 3 Fan Loot fix list

Point by point:
    The drop rate of legendary items should scale with quality, and higher quality legs should drop much less often than lower quality ones. (This is in Loot 2.0, when we'll see all Legendaries dropping through all diff levels, with their stats scaled appropriate up or down from current values.) And he wants different graphics on the Legendary drop spotlight to tip off the item type.
    I agree that low level legs should drop more often, as little use as they are to anyone. (Ten levels and any rare is an upgrade.) I don't think high level legs need to be even rarer, though they do seem very unbalanced. I've found a dozen or more of several lvl 63 legendaries, and only found 1 or 2 of some others. The graphics are a cool idea, but just a bonus treat.

Achievements for finding specific legendaries, a lore entry for all (or the best) legendary items, and in-game bonuses for larger achievements, such as +4% damage to 2H swords once you've found all legendary 2H swords.
    Achievements for finding legs would be cool, and I like the in-game bonus thing. Anything to bring more of the Grail back into D3 would be cool.

Ditch all MF from items and Paragon levels, and instead change to a mega Nephalem Valor scheme where you'd gain MF for each stack, with *many* more stacks required to max out MF at 500%. Higher MP levels would yield more NV points per Elite, and some Legendary items would boost NV gain speed.
    I included the idea of many more NV stacks and smaller bonuses for each one in a vote long ago, and it got very little support. I still like the idea, though it would need to come with larger dungeons to get more mobs, and I think it should be diminishing returns, like say the MF/GF bonus with each stack went like: 15, 15, 10, 10, 5, 5, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, etc. Otherwise you're totally penalizing anyone who just wants to play for 15 or 20m, and how do you work it for Key Runs? You're going to force people to kill 50 packs to get key eligible on MP0? That's way too much of a penalty on players without great gear.

I hate the idea of this being the only MF in the game, and Paragon levels not granting anything. At least now poor players can grind and get the big bonuses. If there's no MF/GF bonus from Paragon then MF becomes completely a gear check and from overall quality rather than some MF bonuses. And anyone with a huge budget can be better at P1 than you or I at P100.

Crafting: Seven new types of Fiery Brimstones which would correspond to the damage type of the weapon salvaged, and additional new types of ultra rare crafting mats that only drop from specific Purples.
    I want more complexity with crafting and more customization of the potential results, and we've suggested adding gems or otherwise tweaking the recipes since last year. So I like the concept, but 8 new types of Brimmy feels like overcomplication for a small return. (And what about armor salvaging? And has anyone actually counted up the leg weapons by damage type? I bet there are like 5x more of some types than others, so Bliz would have to redistribute them hugely, or else make damage types random on each leg weapon.)

Also, I tend to take a "would this ever happen?" attitude on suggestions. And when you remember that bliz greatly simplified the number of crafting mats during dev (there used to be normal and fiery types for all 4 diff levels), and ditched skill runes in large part since they totally clogged the inv, this one seems like a waste of finger fuel to even debate.

Gems. Remove five of the lower gem types to speed the upgrade rate and allow ultra rare drops of higher quality than FS.
    Disagree on point one. It's fun to find new types of gems as you level up through NM and Hell, when you're new and self found and that aspect of the game is irrelevant long term. Also, the upgrade costs are so low for gems below FS that it's irrelevant. I do fully support higher quality gems as ultra rare drops, though. People have been suggesting that from Purples or from Act Bosses, since like June of last year.

Mystic: Buy specific types of upgrades, with higher quality for more gold.
    Hate his Mystic idea. It tries to be a gold sink, but would be totally unattainable for anyone going self found or who hadn't been successful on the AH. Mystic imbues could be semi-random, like you can include a gem or material to target the results, but making it a straight P2W sounds like a feature sponsored by BuyDiablo3Gold.com. (Not an actual domain name, AFAIK.)

Skill Runes: New 6th rune for each skill that would only be enabled by some special legendaries. Ex. a cold form of Whirlwind only possible with one special Axe equipped.
    Like the idea of legendaries with special bonuses to skills. I think making them 6th skill runes is needlessly complicating, but I hope Bliz does more along the lines of "take hydra and double it" as they've suggested. I think the bonuses should be more universal, though. Rather than adding one new skill rune (which would be great or suck, like 95% of the current skill runes. Instead of being that specific, they need to aim for more general bonuses, like the double hydra thing. Other obvious bonuses are to make all the rune effects of a given skill have a chance to pierce, or stun, or +%CC, or make targets explode upon death, or buff your MS, etc.
    --Flux

I was left very unimpressed by most of this guy's ideas.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    I included the idea of many more NV stacks and smaller bonuses for each one in a vote long ago, and it got very little support. I still like the idea, though it would need to come with larger dungeons to get more mobs, and I think it should be diminishing returns, like say the MF/GF bonus with each stack went like: 15, 15, 10, 10, 5, 5, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, etc. Otherwise you're totally penalizing anyone who just wants to play for 15 or 20m, and how do you work it for Key Runs? You're going to force people to kill 50 packs to get key eligible on MP0? That's way too much of a penalty on players without great gear.
    Make NV stay between sessions (until quest reset).
    Let dead monsters stay dead between sessions (until quest reset).
    Then short gaming sessions aren't penalized.
    And you are rewarded for playing large areas of the game.

As for key runs, since they aren't related directly to the MF, they could still be just 5 stacks needed for example. Or whatever would be appropriate.

I agree regarding gold sinks. Balancing the game around the silly amount of gold some people have got through AH/RMAH would be very bad.
    If they want us to have buyable upgrades in-game, the only way is to introduce new currencies, like the demonic essence - preferably BoA.
    Last edited by ShadoutMapes; 26-07-2013 at 14:53.

IncGamers Member

I'd play it, but I think it's kind of funny that if legendary drop rates stay the same, all of his systems are kind of pointless, because you will never get any of the cool stuff he talks about.

And increasing the legendary drop rate would go at least a bit of the way towards making the game feel rewarding, as is, which makes a lot of these suggestions "win more" suggestions rather than anything else. Don't get me wrong, I think they'd be fun, but they require a lot more CONTENT that Blizzard just isn't going to add. I'd probably have like, about 25% of the quantity of fun of the stuff this guy proposes if they just boosted the drop rates right now, without any additional content changes.

(Of course, adding more varied and awesome content is the real "fix" for this game, and most games, but that's not going to happen unless it somehow gets subscription fees...)

IncGamers Member

Some of this guy's ideas are actually good, some are really out there...

Quote Originally Posted by ShadoutMapes View Post
    As for key runs, since they aren't related directly to the MF, they could still be just 5 stacks needed for example. Or whatever would be appropriate.
    Make inferno elite/champion only; remove white monsters!

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    1. Ditch all MF from items and Paragon levels, and instead change to a mega Nephalem Valor scheme where you'd gain MF for each stack, with *many* more stacks required to max out MF at 500%. Higher MP levels would yield more NV points per Elite, and some Legendary items would boost NV gain speed.
    Adding more MF to geared people who can handle MP10 is pointless. Better increase GC at higher MP.

IncGamers Member

just another suggestion post which doesn't get to the core of the problems, yet again

this mega-nv suggestion is beyond terrible. nv is probably *the* worst among others that made me stop playing 10 months ago

though you have to hand it to him, he put a lot of work into it, yet sadly, as i said, his ideas don't touch the core

It's funny that almost all the replies here are negative on the ideas, while the ones I read on the original thread, and on the bnet coverage, are mostly rapturous.

I commended the packaging in the OP, but I think you guys replies here really underscore how much the presentation is selling the post. Great images and massive WoT and at a first look most fans are like, "whoa, awesome!" But when you have just the ideas broken down into quick bullet points (which I attempted to do objectively), as you guys are showing in your replies here.... they're pretty meh. They get an 8 or 9 on creativity and bold vision, but a much lower score on practicality or workability. Apparently.

Unaddressed is what I think is the most core issue of Loot2.0., which is affixes and modifiers. Prior to my interview with Josh and Wyatt I was thinking D3X would bring a real overhaul of the system, and probably of other core game systems like attributes. However, from what Josh and Wyatt said to me, it seems like they're preserving much of the current affixes and just nibbling around the edges. In that case a big debate is waiting over how to diversify from the current CC/CD/IAS/Mainstat paradigm, and we've heard nothing about that but aspirations and Wyatt's mentions of how maybe someday Thorns would be viable.
    --Flux