Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Can Infinity (Conviction) break cold immunity?

Hi,

I want to change my lightning sorc to a cold sorc (fo 20, ice bolt 20, cold mastery 20, +8 skills) but am unsure wheter she will be able to handle cold immune enemies, like the countess for example, without a second element. My mercenary has an Infinity weapon. I have read the conviction aura of Infinity only removes lightning immunity and does not help against cold immunes, is that true?

Thanks.

IncGamers Member

Re: Can Infinity (Conviction) break cold immunity?

Infinity helps with Cold, Lightning, and Fire, not just lightning. But here's the rub, Infinity's Conviction will reduce these resistances by 85%, but only works at 1/5 efficiency against immunes--so that's -17% cold resist. So, if the enemy has 117% resist cold, or higher, you will not be able to break its immunity. I can't really speak to typical resists of cold immunes, but I'm sure some aren't >116%, but some still will be, in which case you're screwed. I've heard that most cold immunes aren't really breakable.

Here's the cool thing. If you do break the immunity, your Cold Mastery plus any -cold resist from equipment (Facets), will work full force. So in the case that you're dealing with a 115% Cold Resistant monster, your Merc's Conviction would reduce it by 17% first (to 98%), then your Cold Mastery (slvl 33 gives -180%) would knock it down (now to -82%) and if you had four -5% cold facets (-20% cold resist) you'd be at (now to -100%, the minimum) and you'd be dealing double damage. That being said, I don't think a lot of end game Cold Sorcs use Facets, because they can achieve -200% Cold Resist at slvl 37 Cold Mastery (achievable).

Most people, and I'm no Sorc expert, choose their fights. By that I mean, if they're doing individual runs, they'll avoid areas with a lot of unbreakable Cold Immunes by researching the monsters ahead of time. Hope this helps. I'm sure others will fill in the missing pieces.

IncGamers Member

Note that everything Clervis said about Infinity not being able to break 117% cold resistance applies equally to lightning resistance. I've heard that lightning immunities of that degree are less common than their cold immune counterparts. I haven't examined the data myself, but if it's true, that is an issue with the switch from lightning to cold.

And unlike Cold Mastery, Lightning Mastery doesn't lower resistance. So that's another factor to consider (one that would seem to favor cold over lightning, but that's only the case if you can actually break the immunity in the first place).

In addition to Infinity's Conviction aura, the Lower Resist curse can also work to break elemental immunities. Unfortunately, there aren't any items that give this anywhere close to as conveniently as the Infinity runeword gives Conviction, otherwise every sorceress would be using it.

IncGamers Member

You can get slvl 3 Lower Resist (-41 all resists, -8 to immunes) on wands, daggers, and headgear. Medusa's Gaze (elite unique shield) gives you 10% chance to cast slvl 7 Lower Resists (-51 all resists, -10 to immunes) but requires you to get hit 10 times on average, so who the hell wants that.

I'm sure some people might use Lower Resist charges on switch, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth. There are probably better folks to ask then me, however.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clervis View Post
    I'm sure some people might use Lower Resist charges on switch, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth. There are probably better folks to ask then me, however.
    I concur, but then I've never actually built a single-tree caster sorc.

Ive used infinity on my cold sorc last ladder, to see how many she can break. And its pretty much useless there, compared to the cost of infi towards other rw's or unique Poles.

Dont use infi on cold sorcs!

IncGamers Member

Only skeletons could be broken and those critters in cold plains, you know those yeti beasts.

IncGamers Member

The immunities of this game are strangely laid out. Conviction from infinity ( level 12 ) breaks about 20% cold immunes, 60% fire immunes and 90% lightning immunes ( roughly ). So there is a big difference in terms of what element you choose.

But again, the Sorceresses 3 different trees, does dmg in 3 different ways.

Cold dmg is rather low - low dmg, but all very low res. Unless immune.
    Light dmg is unpredictable - Low amount of immunes
    Fire dmg has the highest average dmg. - High dmg, medium amount of immunes

They all have advantages, so it works with different immunities like mentioned before. The different trees just need different gear setups.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Archone View Post
    Cold dmg is rather low - low dmg, but all very low res. Unless immune.
    Light dmg is unpredictable - Low amount of immunes
    Fire dmg has the highest average dmg. - High dmg, medium amount of immunes
    I'm skeptical. It is true that lightning tends to have a lower minimum damage and a higher maximum damage, but how do you figure that cold damage is "rather low"?