Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47
  1. #21
    IncGamers Member shintyguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,249

    Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

    Quote Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
    <3 Bubble Bobble.

    was that the rainbow island prequel? <3 rainbow island

  2. #22
    IncGamers Member Vang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    2,298

    Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

    Quote Originally Posted by Unfadable View Post
    If you are going to let him play, balance is the key. My personal opinion is no, don't let him. Making sure he is in the habit of an active lifestyle now is very important and will lead him to good habits as an adult.
    I don't understand this? He is 7. If balance is the key, then surely playing a game is going to be part of his life. Not sure if your a father/mother or not, but your children mimic you. My old man played games on the atari, went fishing, and watched sci-fi for example. I do all three of them. Did I pickup all his habits, no.

    But playing on the computer is going to be one all our kids pickup. My son personally doesn't play the console often if at all (Haven't turned it all summer I think) But he will play on the PC.

    Kids are active by nature, my kids run around all day long in the house playing imaginary and as Goldtru said, his son went and played pretend after the Act 5 intro scene. When we aren't doing that we are swimming or playing outside. But they also need mental stimuli as much if not more than physical at their age, because the physical part comes from just playing.

    Sorry bout the rant, but its the second time in this thread people have said no, but kids need to be active. It isn't the kids that need to be active, its the parents who are responsible if their child is obese, because more often than not the parent is obese themselves, as I can not actively recall seeing an obese child and a healthy weight parent.

  3. #23
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    129

    Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

    Diablo came out when I was 6, but I mostly just watched my brother play. Maybe by 9 or 10 I played some, but I was pretty bad. Diablo II came out when I was 10, I played but was still pretty bad. When I turned 13 I started playing pretty heavily, during the last months of 1.09.

    Maybe I was too young, but there's plenty of more realistic violence on TV and in movies. I think I turned out all right. He's probably way too young to understand all the strategy and planning that we love about this game so much. So who knows, he might get bored with it fast.

    I'm not a parent, but I thought I'd weigh in.

  4. #24
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    18

    Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

    Quote Originally Posted by Vang View Post
    I don't understand this? He is 7. If balance is the key, then surely playing a game is going to be part of his life. Not sure if your a father/mother or not, but your children mimic you. My old man played games on the atari, went fishing, and watched sci-fi for example. I do all three of them. Did I pickup all his habits, no.

    But playing on the computer is going to be one all our kids pickup. My son personally doesn't play the console often if at all (Haven't turned it all summer I think) But he will play on the PC.

    Kids are active by nature, my kids run around all day long in the house playing imaginary and as Goldtru said, his son went and played pretend after the Act 5 intro scene. When we aren't doing that we are swimming or playing outside. But they also need mental stimuli as much if not more than physical at their age, because the physical part comes from just playing.

    Sorry bout the rant, but its the second time in this thread people have said no, but kids need to be active. It isn't the kids that need to be active, its the parents who are responsible if their child is obese, because more often than not the parent is obese themselves, as I can not actively recall seeing an obese child and a healthy weight parent.
    We all grew up differently, and have our(biased) views on raising kids. I don't feel like arguing on here so I guess I should have just said it would probably be detrimental if he played too much, and left my opinion out of it. I see where you are coming from though.

  5. #25
    IncGamers Site Pal pharphis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    9,168

    Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

    Quote Originally Posted by shintyguy View Post
    was that the rainbow island prequel? <3 rainbow island
    It was! Rainbow islands is way too impossible though.

    I ran around and played when I was younger too but video games have been a major part of my life.
    That's even with my parents restricting game time. I just find gaming more stimulating than most things (tv, movies, sports) but I think most people are balanced enough to not be 100% stuck in a single world. Most people.

    I'm not a parent either, but I think D2 is much less graphic than tV/movies like others are saying. Not to mention other games like CoD and such.

  6. #26
    D3 Monk Moderator kestegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    BattleTag kestegs-1550
    Posts
    47,569

    Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

    My reasoning for not letting my kid play it has nothing to do with not being active. It's all about content. My kids are well balanced in activities, and I don't really worry about them in that department.

  7. #27
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Missoura
    BattleTag thefranklin-1107
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldtru View Post
    Thanks for the input. Super Mario Galaxy is age appropriate, and yet I have had to confiscate it twice in 2 days because it is making him so wildly unhappy and angry. I don't think D2 would do that to him. And I know the game really well, so it's not like I am handing him a complete unknown.

    I agree that the angst over videogames is a bit ridiculous. I also find the idea of "limiting screen time" for kids doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you examine it closely. I agree that kids shouldn't veg out in front of the TV all the time, or play video games all the time, but neither should they read books all the time, or play sports all the time. It's all a question of balance. Plus our generation is so glued to smartphones (which I know from first hand observation really bothers kids) so we are total hypocrites to limit their screen time when most of the parents I see barely make eye contact with their kids because they are too busy looking at cats on Facebook (or whatever).

    I read an article recently that made me pretty mad. The author's son, who was about 12 or so, loved games and wanted a WoW account. The premise of her article was that "videogames are a drug and we are the pushers!" So it was utterly hysterical. I feel so bad for that poor kid. She made the point in her article that he's active in sports, has tons of friends, and clearly is well adjusted, yet she had a bug in her ear that games were like drugs and just ran hog wild with it.

    I'll certainly be keeping an eye on him, but I think I'll let him play for now.

    I myself don't even notice the bad images in D2 all that much, but they are there and I would have no problem if you make the decision to not let them play because of that. Any games these days are about the same with the scantily clad girls everywhere. My wife laughed out loud at me for the picture that was on the box for my last graphics card. She also always has some snide comment about why my characters are dressed like whores (currently playing a Siren in Borderlands 2, but it is in every single game nowadays somehow). So when comparing games, D2 isn't that bad (except maybe Andarial?) because it is hard to actually see what is going on.

    I agree about the screen time, I am in front of a screen 99% of the day. But I want to play games when I get home, work is the problem . My kids are a little too young to sit in front of games for hours (attention span), but I will definitely use judgement when they can/cannot play when they are old enough (ie I won't let them sit there for hours on hours). Same for TV.

    I disagree with the bolded. Why can't they read books all of the time? Why can't they play sports all of the time?

  8. #28
    IncGamers Member helvete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Tromsų, Norway
    Posts
    7,392

    Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

    Because nothing should take up *all* of the time of a child. Different activities stimulate different parts of the brain, and even if they want to be the next Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson or Michael Angelo (funny how easy it is to get famous if your name is Michael...), they should still be encouraged, vigorously, to do a little bit of everything, even if they're more comfortable just doing one.

    At the very least, it's better to raise athletes, nerds and musicians than sports idiots, ragequitters and Yngwie Malmsteens. Fine, no, great if they want to get really good at something, but they still need to try different things to learn respect for those who choose differently. Speaking of experience, I would likely have NO respect for soccer players if I had never tried it, and learned that it's actually more than just chasing a ball around. The other way around, soccer players (for the most part) have no understanding regarding why I want to sit in front of a computer all day.

  9. #29
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Missoura
    BattleTag thefranklin-1107
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

    I will go on record saying I have no respect for soccer. Hehe. I am interested in your definition of sports idiot, might just be my smiling mug.

    When I was a kid, I wanted to play basketball all the time. My parents always made me ask to go play (the court was across the street in view of our living room window, and empty most of the time), yet on weekends when there was nothing to do, they would say "no, you have already done that today." What kind of answer is that to your child? There is plenty of time during the year for the child to do something else (related to sports, assuming the sports have a relative safeness to them) and if all they want to do is books or music, there is absolutely no reason to force them to do something else because you think it is good for them (I assume some sort of force is required, if gentle encouragement works then you don't have the problem with them wanting to do the same thing all of the time). And I think forcing them to do something has the opposite effect of teaching them respect, none of the people I knew that hated being forced to read as students read as adults or respect books at all.

    Kids got no respect these days anyways.

  10. #30
    IncGamers Member TheNix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    BattleTag TheNix-6417
    Posts
    2,797

    Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

    My daughter is a qualified primary teacher, an adolescent councillor and about to start her masters in adolescent health and wellbeing and she thinks that seven is probably a bit young and, with parental guidance, ten would probably be a better age to play such a game. If you can link the environment of the game to the childish horror of Halloween it could mitigate the worst of the visuals the game throws up. We don't really have Halloween in Australia, but I have seen pix and some of the stuff out there goes way beyond what is shown in D2.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •