Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

I was in my early teens. Personally I would say no, but then again, I'm not a parent...

Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

I think he will just be tooling around the blood moor. I seriously doubt he will get very far. I'll keep an eye on it for now - he has already created a character so I can't really take it away at this point without being really inconsistent.

Related question: Do you and your 7-year old celebrate spooky holidays like Halloween or Day of the Dead? Talk to your son and compare his D2 fun to other horror-as-entertainment that he's already certainly experienced.

Your judgment about the child's ability to distinguish between fantasy dread and horror, versus terrorism or gore in real-life, should count for something. Has your 7 year old learned to laugh at his nightmares after waking up and getting a reassuring hug from dad? Has your 7 year old also learned appropriate empathy or grief for victims (and moral outrage at perpetrators) of real-life horrors? Are you concerned about whether the child becomes either overly-sensitive or desensitized?

Well here is my take: My five year old plays most computer games with me that I play that he can click the mouse or number keys or WASD. Tab targeting is off his knowledge at the moment.
    So with that said he has played Diablo 3, Path of Exile, and what got him started was The Secret World. I'm sure I've missed a few other oddball games that we tried(KOTOR comes to mind)
    Now he by far enjoys The Secret World the most due to its massive skill system and dressing system so he can use different weapons and change his outfit and get pets(Anniversary event for example we got 8 of the 9 pets for him). He also will do instances up to Elite level with me in a pug (I'm a tank) Sure he dies, but he understands when to move and such after seeing what kills him, and plays better than some adults IMO.
    I think if he is playing with you it is not a problem, my son started off by himself using my account, then I finally got him his own, but I think it is awesome that he plays with me. I find games such as MMO's and games like Diablo don't hold the same type of "failure" mentality as a typical console game would by having you unable to progress if he can't beat it, which could lead to anger issues.

How can this even be a discussion... you barely see what kind of creeps your whacking or shooting a fireball at. Seems like micro managing / curling to me. You seem to understand the value of balance in life etc, which, personally, I think is far more important.. i.e not spending his (pre)teens in front of screens.

I say let him play if you are supervising and helping him out and let him watch you play, could be some great father/son time

D2 Assassin, Barbarian
    & Single Player & SP Trading

Caveat: I don't have kids and as a child, I watched "The Sweeney". You can Google that, I'll wait.

Personally, I don't think a seven year old is going to have an issue playing D2 because:
    - The graphics are not realistic (see Call of Duty)
    - If you stay offline (or just play LAN or with the forum members here) you aren't going to come across the 13 year old potty-mouths
    - I doubt they're going to be reading the story so will not understand stuff about harem
    - As regards some of the torture stuff, I doubt it will even register with them
    - Remember when you're playing, often you're so busy clicking, you don't get to look at the scenery
    - If they are at the wander and whack stage, I doubt they'll be getting to Act 3 onwards anytime soon

Unless you'd turned off the chat, I'd say the guy trying to get into the knickers of the other companion in D3 is worse.

The real kid-friendly stuff that I remember is stuff like Rodlands, Bubble Bobble or any of it's sequels. Which were great fun and friendly.

City of Titans - Smashed the goal - More info here

"Retail made me learn to despise humanity and welcome the apocalypse. Still waiting world."
    - Kellic Youdontneedmylastname

Thanks for the replies. Thyiad, you are right on the money. Regarding the harem, it was the mutilated corpses that concerned me rather than explaining what a harem is.

As I suspected, he is tootling around the blood moor whacking things. His main interest is in having "minions", which he thinks is awesome. There is certainly nothing on the blood moor that is objectionable, and I seriously doubt he will get beyond that. The game has a lot of "safety features" that are probably inadvertent, i.e. you simply can't see a lot of stuff until you have done other stuff.

He's actually pretty bored by the kid-friendly stuff. The first time I killed Big D it was a total surprise to both of us and he ended up watching the movie about Baal and Harrogath, and he thought it was so awesome that he rushed off to play it for real with a toy castle and toy dragons etc. The real stuff seems to fire his imagination in a way that the toned-down kid stuff leaves him flat.

Remember the Grimm's fairy tales? Those were read to kids younger than 7, and some of those still give me the shivers. Read "The Princess in the Chest" which is probably online - it's really spooky.

Thanks for the input, guys. It's interesting to hear about how people came to the game.

IncGamers Member

If you are going to let him play, balance is the key. My personal opinion is no, don't let him. Making sure he is in the habit of an active lifestyle now is very important and will lead him to good habits as an adult.

<3 Bubble Bobble.