Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ...

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I am aware that the game is rated M, 17+, and there are parts of it - monastery, durance of hate, harem - that are wildly inappropriate for a kid.

On the other hand, he's been playing Super Mario Galaxy and it has been making him so angry and frustrated that I had to take it away tonight - not as a punishment, just because he couldn't cope with it any more. I quit playing SMG because it was making me extremely unhappy and generally causing much grief, whereas D2 has almost never made me that frustrated.

My son is fascinated by the necromancer and wants his own minions. He created a necro tonight and already got 2 skellies. He is barely able to pick up gold from the ground, and certainly can't grasp the skill tree or anything like that, so the likelihood that he would get himself to the monastery seems pretty small. I know that there are dead rogues scattered around the fields, but they aren't nearly as graphic as the torture scenes in the monastery.

What do other parents on here think?

Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

I've been playing Diablo since I was ~8 years old and I don't really see the problem. I quite frankly don't see the problem parents have with video games in the first place, TV is much, much worse.

IncGamers Member

Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

My sister start to play when she has 6 years old. Actually she has 8 years old and lvl 10. :P

I would have been 10 since I was born in 1991. I don't think it should be a problem

If you want a truly unbiased opinion, I would recommend seeking more advise from another forum to add to the opinions here.

That being said: do you want him introduced to this genre? Has he played other violent/demonic games before?
    D2, compared to what's out there now, is 'nothing.' It's not a scary as playing doom would be or wolfenstein 3d, but it can be a little intimidating I would imagine.

BattleTag kestegs-1550

I would not let my 10 year old play it. I'm very strict on that stuff though, and they aren't seeing anything like it on TV either. I'll let them watch me play depending on what I'm doing in the game.

If it's similar to things you let him already view then I don't see an issue with it.

IncGamers Member

I started when I was about 10 (22 now), and at first my parents were pretty hesitant. I think for the time it was released, M was definitely warranted. Nowadays, with what's out there right now and what's on TV, I think it's much more mellow. For what it's worth, I seriously doubt it'll have a negative impact on your 7 yr. old I honestly feel the whole "violent video games spurs violence" is really overblown.

Thanks for the input. Super Mario Galaxy is age appropriate, and yet I have had to confiscate it twice in 2 days because it is making him so wildly unhappy and angry. I don't think D2 would do that to him. And I know the game really well, so it's not like I am handing him a complete unknown.

I agree that the angst over videogames is a bit ridiculous. I also find the idea of "limiting screen time" for kids doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you examine it closely. I agree that kids shouldn't veg out in front of the TV all the time, or play video games all the time, but neither should they read books all the time, or play sports all the time. It's all a question of balance. Plus our generation is so glued to smartphones (which I know from first hand observation really bothers kids) so we are total hypocrites to limit their screen time when most of the parents I see barely make eye contact with their kids because they are too busy looking at cats on Facebook (or whatever).

I read an article recently that made me pretty mad. The author's son, who was about 12 or so, loved games and wanted a WoW account. The premise of her article was that "videogames are a drug and we are the pushers!" So it was utterly hysterical. I feel so bad for that poor kid. She made the point in her article that he's active in sports, has tons of friends, and clearly is well adjusted, yet she had a bug in her ear that games were like drugs and just ran hog wild with it.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on him, but I think I'll let him play for now.

I started playing at 32!!!!

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag bulvine-1904

I was 23 when d2 first launched. I think we let my younger brother play d2 around 9-11 years old, but wouldn't let him play WoW until he was 13-14(because of the online interaction). That being said my brother was pretty mature and responsible for his age. Personally, I think 7 may be a bit on the young side.