Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Drop Bear

IncGamers Member

Re: The Drop Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Namtar View Post
    The first three portals seem like they probably approximate the real deal.
    I've played those three portals with the standard get up, and it's not bad at all.

It's the Tristram portal that fails
    Yea, PlugY's uber-tristram is bunk.

Couldn't the merc get swarmed and killed against Diablo or Baal? If they're no longer losing 83% of their defenses, they'll be a lot more problematic for the drop bear.
    I think he should be able to fend for himself as long as you keep the life tap around him, give him BO, and you take care of Mephisto first.

I was thinking that since this is the one monster where Infinity's Conviction is nullified, the merc would probably just die. Is that preventable? Maybe it's futile, but if the right items can make the merc durable enough to survive, even if he's otherwise useless, his Defiance aura seems like it would be really nice to have against that Conviction aura.
    I'm thinking he's screwed. And Mephisto's Conviction will pretty much nullify Defiance. I don't plan on counting on him in the least. Even if you go through lengths to make him survive, he probably won't contribute much considering the Defiance and Conviction are kaput.

Treachery can also give you a nice Venom, although I'm not sure how big of a factor that is.
    A little damage. Nothing significant. Some people thought that it would prevent heal, but it doesn't. On a separate note, Open Wounds from GoreRider's is helpful, as is the DS and CB.

I'm not sure about the Um rune in Guillame's Face, though.
    Good call. A fire facet would raise fire damage by about 10% or a Cham could let you use another Angelic ring for oodles of AR.

Yeah, Enchant by itself isn't going to cut it, no matter what. But just to squeeze out every ounce of fire damage possible, I'd go all the way.
    It's worth noting that the ever popular One-Point Smiter does about 5K physical damage (before 20% physical resists) and the Drop Bear does about 5K fire damage (after resists) with similar amounts of CB. Smite is auto-hit, but the Drop Bear hits faster and with decent AR. So on its face, this looks like it should be totally feasible. With the ridiculous pre-buff you mentioned, you could make it even better.

I did indeed get just over 15k AR from the jewelry change. So yeah, not bad.
    Cool.

I do think the Defiance aura alone might make him worth keeping if possible. But I don't know that equipping him to survive is feasible in the first place. Can't really bail him out with teleport while you're busy swiping a regenerating boss to death.
    Ditch him for Mephy and keeping him for the other two.

I was actually thinking not of Grief, but of Lash Wish for the CB and Life Tap, but that's even worse because of the wereform IAS issues. One would have to ditch Werebear to bother with Last Wish, and that means sacrificing the huge boost to life, in addition to the much faster attack speed. Not worth it. And Fade can be obtained from Treachery anyway. It might be worth it to bring a wand with Life Tap charges against Uber Mephisto, although with a high enough AR, the massive attack speed of the Caddy should proc Life Tap from Dracul's Grasp quickly enough that a wand wouldn't be necessary, or that's what I'd imagine. 5 FPA is really quite fast, as long as there isn't much whiffing.
    Agreed.

Well, would they be dropping quickly enough that Battle Orders wouldn't expire? It might be dangerous for that to happen in the middle of an uber fight while in bear form.
    I think you should be okay with the life Drop Bear has already.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clervis View Post
    The Auradin does 258 pulse fire damage and 585 pulse lightning damage on average. So that's 843 pulse damage with -150% resists.
    The Drop Bear does 661 pulse lightning damage with -85% resists.
    Due to a bug, when multiple Holy Aura When Equipped items supplying the same Holy aura are equipped, radial damage for their total level is applied once for each item. For example, equipping a Dream helm and a Dream shield results in radial damage for level 30 Holy Shock being applied two times every two seconds; equipping a Hand of Justice weapon, Dragon armour and Dragon Shield results in radial damage for level 44 Holy Fire being applied three times every two seconds.

Uber Baal and Uber Diablo, however, aren't the monoliths that their brother is. Baal is immune to cold and completely susceptible to Fire and Lightning. Diablo is immune to Fire but that can be broken, not that it matters.
    Due to a hidden Magic Resistant bonus, Baal is also Immune to Fire (115%) and he's always Immune to Cold (185%) due to a hidden Cold Enchanted bonus; similarly, Diablo is also Immune to Cold (115%) (but his fire immunity remains 110%).

Consequently, an Infinity polearm's Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped only reduces Baal to Fire Resist 98%.

I'm thinking he's screwed. And Mephisto's Conviction will pretty much nullify Defiance. I don't plan on counting on him in the least. Even if you go through lengths to make him survive, he probably won't contribute much considering the Defiance and Conviction are kaput.
    Level 20 Conviction applies -90% Defence while level 18 Defiance applies +240%, so the net result is still +150%.

IncGamers Member

Well, I just did all of Act IV. It was going by so quickly that I decided to slow it down by not being a bear in the Chaos Sanctuary, or even attacking. I just supported my mercenary with Enchant, Teleport, the occasional potion, and Call to Arms (also Static Field for Diablo). Not that there was any doubt, but yeah, Boo Boo clear the Chaos Sanctuary with no other damage sources. That might be useful information if you're tired of being a bear, which, let's face it, is never.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by onderduiker View Post
    Due to a bug, when multiple Holy Aura When Equipped items supplying the same Holy aura are equipped, radial damage for their total level is applied once for each item. For example, equipping a Dream helm and a Dream shield results in radial damage for level 30 Holy Shock being applied two times every two seconds; equipping a Hand of Justice weapon, Dragon armour and Dragon Shield results in radial damage for level 44 Holy Fire being applied three times every two seconds.
    I didn't realize this. In that case, the damage for both is a bit higher, but the Auradin really gets the benefit of having level 30 Holy Shock applied twice and level 30 Holy Fire applied twice, every two second (right?).

Due to a hidden Magic Resistant bonus, Baal is also Immune to Fire (115%) and he's always Immune to Cold (185%) due to a hidden Cold Enchanted bonus; similarly, Diablo is also Immune to Cold (115%) (but his fire immunity remains 110%).

Consequently, an Infinity polearm's Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped only reduces Baal to Fire Resist 98%.
    Ok, so Enchant isn't a huge help, but you've still got your Holy Shock doing the big damage.

Level 20 Conviction applies -90% Defence while level 18 Defiance applies +240%, so the net result is still +150%.
    Ah. A little lapse on my part. I was thinking that -90% was from the end total. In that case, the Defiance isn't looking to be much of a contribution (Ranger Meph will probably kill Booboo right off), but you do have your Shiver Armor (~+150%) and Werebear (~+120%). So that nets about +180% if Booboo keels over, but with the huge gear swap, your base defense will really take a dive. So don't count on that for safety.

Well, I just did all of Act IV. It was going by so quickly that I decided to slow it down by not being a bear in the Chaos Sanctuary, or even attacking. I just supported my mercenary with Enchant, Teleport, the occasional potion, and Call to Arms (also Static Field for Diablo). Not that there was any doubt, but yeah, Boo Boo clear the Chaos Sanctuary with no other damage sources. That might be useful information if you're tired of being a bear, which, let's face it, is never.
    Hilarious. Booboo is one tough mofo. Question: What is Booboo's defense? As you can see my Booboo is at level 92 and he only has 83 resist all even with two Um's in his gear. According to the Ultimate Merc Guide, it should be 89 all and I'm not clear why it isn't. Is it just the LCS? Or is the merc guide incorrect?

IncGamers Member

Hilarious. Booboo is one tough mofo. Question: What is Booboo's defense? As you can see my Booboo is at level 92 and he only has 83 resist all even with two Um's in his gear. According to the Ultimate Merc Guide, it should be 89 all and I'm not clear why it isn't. Is it just the LCS? Or is the merc guide incorrect?
    Well, my guess is you hired your merc in Hell difficulty.

My merc is level 89. So his base resist all is 156. He gets -100 for being in Hell, and +15 for each Um.

156 - 100 + 15 + 15 = 86. The character screen shows that number too.

A level 92 defensive merc hired from Hell difficulty has a base resist all of 153. So...

153 - 100 + 15 + 15 = 83.

IncGamers Member

Well, my guess is you hired your merc in Hell difficulty.

My merc is level 89. So his base resist all is 156. He gets -100 for being in Hell, and +15 for each Um.

156 - 100 + 15 + 15 = 86. The character screen shows that number too.

A level 92 defensive merc hired from Hell difficulty has a base resist all of 153. So...

153 - 100 + 15 + 15 = 83.
    Maybe you're right. I could've sworn I got him from normal though.

IncGamers Member

I didn't realize this. In that case, the damage for both is a bit higher, but the Auradin really gets the benefit of having level 30 Holy Shock applied twice and level 30 Holy Fire applied twice, every two second (right?).
    That's right.

IncGamers Member

I went and got a new Booboo. Sure enough, I must've gotten the old one from Hell. This one is much stronger and his resists have gone up from 83 to 89. One more level and he'll be sitting pretty.

IncGamers Member

Well, I finally took on Baal.

While I am not a speed-run person, this has been the fastest and most dominant character I've ever done. She didn't die in Hell and was only threatened on a few occasions. Technically, my enchantress was a bit overleveled on entering Hell (I sometimes kill Normal or Nightmare Baal several times to gain a few levels and equip desired items before moving to the next difficulty), reaching level 90 on killing the Ancients, but I don't think it matters that much. I did eventually get my godly Viper Heart amulet, which was the final upgrade to the build. The rest of my setup was nearly identical to what Clervis depicted in the first post. I couldn't think of any changes that were really worth making.

Once I got my last scroll from Malah, I had a bit more room in my inventory that didn't need to be resistance charms. I was initially going to throw in a couple of Vita charms, but decided to make carrying around CtA a full-time thing. While the whole "shout, replace CtA with Beast, drop, shift, switch, murder" thing is a bit much, I think it's potentially worth it. I can get around 3,000 life with the combination of boosts from gear, charms, Battle Orders, and Werebear. That's barbarian-level tankiness on a sorceress. Worth switching out weapons every few minutes to shout? I think so. But actually, the best part about Battle Orders is that it helps keep the merc alive in tight spots.

Definitely my favorite sorceress build so far, and I don't really anticipate anything topping this. The number of enemies that go down in one shot on /players8 is actually pretty impressive, and that's for a character with a 5-frame attack that hits with two types of elemental damage and appreciable physical damage alongside them. And all of that is present on a character with the robustness of a dedicated tank.

The closest comparison is, oddly enough, an auradin (Clervis must have a penchant for rapidly attacking elemental damage melee characters). And really, I'm not sure which one I like more, but I'm leaning toward the drop bear. As amazing as level 25 Conviction is, the sheer offensive and defensive capabilities are just so impressive. Even dual immunes aren't that bad. I mean, I'd want more physical damage if I could get it, but seeing how quickly dual immunes fall and how much she leeches in combat (even before Life Tap kicks in), she apparently has enough.

Edit: I've taken her to level 91 now off of the Throne of Destruction, which goes by pretty quickly most of the time. Branching out into using her to hunt for Essences, as I'm short on them (mostly the one Diablo drops) at the moment. Anyway, I was just in the Throne of Destruction again, and this time Lister spawned Lightning Enchanted, so Infinity couldn't break either immunity and had to be killed with physical damage alone. I also had Infector of Souls do the same—three times in a row. Yes, really. Now, I'm not saying that anyone using boots other than Gore Rider is necessarily wrong to do so, but I really appreciate them here. Dracul's Grasp too. Oh, and the BK Wedding Bands. Basically, physical damage and lifesteal are really helpful, even if most of the time they're completely overshadowed by the fire and lightning damage.
    Last edited by Namtar; 09-11-2013 at 08:49.

IncGamers Member

Well, I finally took on Baal.
    Good job!

I did eventually get my godly Viper Heart amulet, which was the final upgrade to the build.
    OoOoOo, what's that?

Worth switching out weapons every few minutes to shout? I think so. But actually, the best part about Battle Orders is that it helps keep the merc alive in tight spots.
    That's true.

but I'm leaning toward the drop bear.
    Me too.

Yes, really. Now, I'm not saying that anyone using boots other than Gore Rider is necessarily wrong to do so, but I really appreciate them here. Dracul's Grasp too. Oh, and the BK Wedding Bands. Basically, physical damage and lifesteal are really helpful, even if most of the time they're completely overshadowed by the fire and lightning damage.
    Yep, I built it with that specifically in mind. I know some people are willing to pass by difficult, or unkillable enemies, but that just irks me. Those specific changes really make a big impact for those occasional circumstances. That avoided aggravation makes the character that much more pleasurable to me, but also really helps you keep that red bubble going.