Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

MF Fire Sorc. Your thoughts?

Hello,

Yesterday someone on the US east realm was kind enough to give me a few fire facets. 3 to be exact

I was wondering if i put them in a helm, while also using "Phoenix" and a Merc with infinity, would my Lil Meteorb become pretty powerful?

Don't have stats in front of me right now because Im at work, but its a cookie cutter meteorb with:

Lore
    Eschuta's
    Lidless Wall
    Enigma Great Hauberk
    +2 sorc ammy
    Nagelring
    FCR ring
    Arachs
    Chancies

Just wondering if the -45% fire resist Ill get from Phoenix and the facets will take care of FIs in hell.

Re: MF Fire Sorc. Your thoughts?

-res from items/facets unfortunately cannot break immunities. Only conviction or lower resist can do that and then after the immunity is broken does -res take effect. So against non immunes they would work great, immunes would still be the same though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

IncGamers Member

Wouldn't the conviction aura from my infinity merc help out? (Did i say insight?)

It would if the fire immunity is broken by conviction from infinity. Otherwise the -fire res would have no effect.

Its important to note though that if a monster is natively fire immune, their fire resistance is normally pretty high so its usually hard to break even with infinity.

Example:
    Fire immune monster with 110% fire resistance.
    Level 12 conviction from infinity is -85% res.
    Since the monster is immune that works at 1/5th efficiency, so 85% * 1/5 = 17%

Monster Res after conviction:
    110 - 17 = 93 (fire immunity broken)

-Res from other items then kicks in:
    93 - 45 = 48 fire res

Example 2:

Fire immune monster with 120% fire resistance.

Monster Res after concition:
    120 - 17 = 103 (immunity not broken)

-Res has no additional effect. Therefore the monster is still immune to fire.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

IncGamers Member

Sorry thats a lot of math for me to follow.

Lets say i have 3 facets with -5% enemy fire resistance. Then a phoenix which has -28% enemy fire resist. And the level 12 conviction aura from my merc?

I could try and run the numbers myself, but i don't know where they go.

IncGamers Member

Nevermind. Just had to read a little more closely, i understand now.

How is it that infinity works so well with lightning sorcs?

Monsters that normally are fire immune usually have a lot hire fire resistance percentage (greater than 120%) where as I think the monsters that are normally lightning immune usually have only 115% lightning resistance or less. So almost all light immune monsters are breakable while most fire immune monsters are not.

For example referencing the arreat summit. Storm Casters in the chaos sanctuary only have 100 lightning resistance, while Venom lords in the chaos sanctuary have 130 fire resistance.

IncGamers Member

Makes Sense to me now, Just wondering why the devs discriminate against fire sorcs. Ice I can understand with FO and blizz because they'd be OP, but Fireball and meteor?

anyway... thanks for filling me in.

Just fyi, Pyro is correct!

And Ive tried Infinity on a Blizz Sorc, didnt break nearly as many CI's as LI's!!
    Infi is for Lightning sorcs!

Quote Originally Posted by Skinbo View Post
    Makes Sense to me now, Just wondering why the devs discriminate against fire sorcs. Ice I can understand with FO and blizz because they'd be OP, but Fireball and meteor?

anyway... thanks for filling me in.
    No one really knows why they were so rough against fire based builds, I couldn't really tell you myself, but it probably has something to do with the huge fire damage numbers you can get in comparison to the highly variable (and no where near as high) lightning damage.