Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Under Powered and Under Rated builds

Quote Originally Posted by Age View Post
    I believe nothing in the game is magic/physical immune so there's that too.
    Except for Stone Skin Plague Bearers, which is quite a rare sight.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag thefranklin-1107

Quote Originally Posted by onderduiker View Post

The down side is that thrashing around with one weapon while holding up the other like an umbrella can make him look... silly.
    Ha, this was funny. I bet that barb would have a British accent.

I vote static field sorc. Super powerful as long as you don't actually need to kill anything, with a small lightening immune problem.

IncGamers Member

Static Field and Thunder Storm (?) would fit the bill. Good enough to do something, but not enough to do anything! Pharphis had limited amounts of fun or something with a Frost Nova Sorc too. He twinked her through the teeth and still wasn't too powerful. With low twinkage, I bet she would be quite under powered!

I didn't have fathom on frost nova sorc, but it was very fun, though ofc not nearly as effective as a blizzeh.
    I would have played her more but deeded to a boss pack's death explosion (max block, 1k life, decent res...)

BattleTag nswhorse-1450

Is Frost Nova viable in pre-1.10 patches, or does the lack of a synergy compensate for the reduced monster health and leave it gimped? It always struck me as weird that the Novas are so under-powered, considering they are kind of signature skills, and they require significant risk to use (have to stand in the middle of mobs, unlike Blizzard, Orb, Lightning, Fireball, etc.).

FN is viable now.
    The only downside is maxing FO as a synergy, so while playing you'll feel like having a large heavy bag full of firearms and punching monsters with that bag instead of actually using a gun.

IncGamers Member

I don't know why they didn't make one of the armors the FN synergy. Would have made a bit more sense.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag thefranklin-1107

I don't know why they didn't make one of the armors the FN synergy. Would have made a bit more sense.
    Fully agree! The temptation to just use orb won't be there anymore, and you defense would be.

Jason: Damage is too low in old patches (at least LOD patches) to kill anything with frost nova.

Some pretty good ideas in here everyone, now I just need enough players to throw them all into the same game! Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Maher View Post
    Is Frost Nova viable in pre-1.10 patches, or does the lack of a synergy compensate for the reduced monster health and leave it gimped? It always struck me as weird that the Novas are so under-powered, considering they are kind of signature skills, and they require significant risk to use (have to stand in the middle of mobs, unlike Blizzard, Orb, Lightning, Fireball, etc.).
    Frost Nova was always gimped, but pre 1.10 it was severly lacking. The standard nova however was much much better in pre 1.10 patches as the damage was respectable (2kish pretty easy) in comparison to monster health. But since it was essentially skipped over for synergies its no where near as nice now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by srrw View Post
    I believe nothing in the game is magic/physical immune so there's that too.
    Except for Stone Skin Plague Bearers, which is quite a rare sight.
    Stone Skin Unique Wailing Beasts will also be Immune to Physical and Immune to Magic in Hell (although also a rare sight), but in both cases the physical immunity can be removed by cursing them with Decrepify or Amplify Damage since they only have DR 100% (which is ignored in the case of Plague Bearers when you have Sanctuary active).

A somewhat related fact: nothing in the Throne of Destruction (including the Super Unique monsters) can be simultaneously Immune to Lightning and Immune to Physical in Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by thefranklin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by onderduiker View Post

The down side is that thrashing around with one weapon while holding up the other like an umbrella can make him look... silly.
    Ha, this was funny. I bet that barb would have a British accent.
    Assuming the Kingslayer or Passion Rune Word was made in a Phase Blade to maximise average weapon speed:

... this is a priceless family heirloom and I will not profane it with the blood of you horrible little oiks... this, on the other hand, is Sescheron Steel... say what you like about those uncouth northerners, they forge a fine blade when they're not busy eating their own babies...

Do you see? Ah... I do apologise, that will be quite impossible now that I've cut off the top of your head... terribly sorry... I say! Look with your eyes, man, don't try to grab it like some grubby little poor person! Take that, sir! And that! And that and that and that!

I mean really, what are things coming to when a chap can't step outside for a brisk constitutional without being beset by a bunch of yahoos at every turn... it's all going to the dogs, I tell you, to the dogs...

For the record, I'm English (born in Manchester, so I'm one of those uncouth northerners who insist on pronouncing words like glass without an r).