Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

returning diablo player

Hey, I used to play diablo 2 alot, and I would love to have been in on d3 since release but my internet connection simply wouldn't allow it. I always played d2 on soft core though, because I was just a p***y and couldn't handle the thought of losing progress by dying. I'm contemplating going hard core when it's released on console, but I'd like some opinions before I dive into it... any thoughts?

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag iMikee-2957

Re: returning diablo player

Asking on a HC forum if you should play HC or SC? I would suggest HC since it is far more fun and superior experience compared to SC.

IncGamers Member

care to elaborate?

BattleTag Jotunn-2915

I can.

You have to start HC with a different mindset to a SC player. I started in SC and got bored relatively quickly. By the time 1.0.8 rolled around I had not played at all in months. A couple of friends decided to start HC and I joined them, thinking that if I died I wouldn't know how to handle it.

The first thing you learn is that defense and effective hp are so much more important than in SC. In SC you can stack whatever you need in order to get your DPS up and head into the higher MPs, who cares if you die? You can rely on lifesteal and huge damage, watching the red in your bulb pump up and down with the hits, never really caring if you get downed. In HC, that would give you a heart attack! The thrill returns. There is meaning in the game. You are not just spending time trying to get loot, you're spending time thinking, testing, pushing your character's limits, backing down when you know you are out of your depth, (or dying when you didn't realise you were...). The game becomes exciting again.

When I lost my first high level hero, a p37 (well 37.9, he was so close to 38) I was in shock at first. This thing I had lovingly created just came to an end. But that spurs in you the desire to do it again, and to do it better and smarter.

Since turning to HC, I will never go back to SC. There doesn't seem to be a point. All the fun is in HC if you ask me, and if you don't give it a try you are missing out on the best Diablo has to offer.

That's my two cents anyway.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag iMikee-2957

what he said

Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonH View Post
    I can.

You have to start HC with a different mindset to a SC player. I started in SC and got bored relatively quickly. By the time 1.0.8 rolled around I had not played at all in months. A couple of friends decided to start HC and I joined them, thinking that if I died I wouldn't know how to handle it.

The first thing you learn is that defense and effective hp are so much more important than in SC. In SC you can stack whatever you need in order to get your DPS up and head into the higher MPs, who cares if you die? You can rely on lifesteal and huge damage, watching the red in your bulb pump up and down with the hits, never really caring if you get downed. In HC, that would give you a heart attack! The thrill returns. There is meaning in the game. You are not just spending time trying to get loot, you're spending time thinking, testing, pushing your character's limits, backing down when you know you are out of your depth, (or dying when you didn't realise you were...). The game becomes exciting again.

When I lost my first high level hero, a p37 (well 37.9, he was so close to 38) I was in shock at first. This thing I had lovingly created just came to an end. But that spurs in you the desire to do it again, and to do it better and smarter.

Since turning to HC, I will never go back to SC. There doesn't seem to be a point. All the fun is in HC if you ask me, and if you don't give it a try you are missing out on the best Diablo has to offer.

IncGamers Member

That makes a whole lot of sense, thanks guys. I think that's probably why I stopped enjoying diablo 2 a while back; I had just done everything there was to do, even though I had died countless times on each character. However, I think I might play through normal once on soft core just to get the experience of the storyline without the distraction of trying to survive. After that though, you've pretty much convinced me that HC truly is the only way to continue the game thanks!

IncGamers Member

I can.

Man, all i have to do is applaud! :-)

BattleTag Jotunn-2915

Quote Originally Posted by jrsilva View Post
    Man, all i have to do is applaud! :-)
    Why thank you, good sir

Karanoclex, if you're in the EU feel free to add me, I'm more than willing to help a new player ease into HC. I've found the people in this HC forum to be the nicest, most helpful, and most enjoyable to play with, and the "pay it forward" mentality here is invaluable. So if you need any help at all, just let me know.

IncGamers Member

Why thank you, good sir

Karanoclex, if you're in the EU feel free to add me, I'm more than willing to help a new player ease into HC. I've found the people in this HC forum to be the nicest, most helpful, and most enjoyable to play with, and the "pay it forward" mentality here is invaluable. So if you need any help at all, just let me know.
    Well guys, fee free to add me too, I might be able to help out here and there :-)

IncGamers Member

My battletag is papacas#2298, btw