Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

New possible build?

I was thinking about a new strange build... a melee human druid.

Why not shapeshifting? Easy... i want to teleport.
    No points in shape skills means many points to invest free... excluding wind/fire skills (it would be a windy/fire druid, not a melee one), we will use skills into summons.

20 heart of wolverine
    20 grizzly
    20 carrion wine

Why carrion wine? This is a build meant for nihlatak's runs (you know, i don't like doing it easier with a hammerdin ). So i need carrion wine (or solar) to eat corpses.

Then
    20 cyclone armor
    1+ hurricane

Hurricane is meant to slow down enemies and to make some corpses splatter

Considering prerequisites, we used by now about 85-90 skills points. The rest can be invested into ravens, hurricane, dire wolves, whatever.

Now... our druid won't have any skill to increase its damage... so, crushing blow is the way to go

Weapon: last wish phase blade
    Huge cb, ignore target's defense (attack rating will be another big problem, this helps a lot), fade is obviously huge in survivability, and then might for my grizzly and my merc

Shield: phoenix monarch
    Enhanced damage (still helpful), but most of all, redemption... survivability and no corpses

Helm: hard to tell
    Jalal's is always great, but it's a bit wasted (no shapeshift bonus)
    Aldur's helm... not such a nice item, but 2 free sockets, and together with the boots, 150% bonus to attack rating (!)
    Circlet 2/20... mostly to help teleport, but not that great except for that

Armor: enigma
    No way, enigma.

Amulet: metalgrid
    Attack rating and resistances are greeeatly needed here, i think this is the best choice

Rings: 2x raven
    Again more attack rating and more dex... or 1 raven and 1 10 fcr ring to reach the next fcr breakpoint (w/o the circlet)

Boots: Aldur's
    Great boots, really... and nice for the attack rate and the dex bonus together with the pelt

Belt: arachnid
    +1 to all skills isn't very useful for this build, but 20 fcr to teleport and slowing enemies makes arach the best choice imo

Gloves: magefist
    20 fcr... nothing else

Merc: act 2 blessed aim merc

Weapon: 2 choices
    Pride --> 300% ed for him, for me and for my grizzly... freezes target for splattering corpses, but slow and low damaging
    Eth reaper's toll --> decripify will increase damage for everybody and increased chance of surviving
    Else?

Armor: 2 choices
    Fortitude --> you know
    Tyrael's --> my merc will probably be the one that will kill the biggest number of enemies... many corpses left by him

Helm: 2 choices again
    Andy --> you know
    Guillaume's --> you know again

Now some questions.
    My "nocorpses strategy" is enough? Or is it even too much? (cold damage, redemption, carrion wine, tyrael's)
    I will hit normal enemies thanks to ignore target's defense... but will my attack rating be enough to hit uniques/bosses? Or is it all wasted? (also remember wolverine bonus and blessed aim). If I can't hit bosses, my merc needs crushing blow... else it would take ages to kill them
    Any advice about the equip?
    Could this build somehow work?

Re: New possible build?

Hi mate!
    I suspected youd show up here soon aswell!

1. You want Natures Peace, not carrion wind ring.

2. Do you want attack speed for cb procs. Or cast rate for teleport? (fcr breakpoints sucks for druids)

3. Laswish gives Lifetap, so dont use Reapers on merc.

4. Instead of reapers, maybe Infinity would be good? Nice dmg, cb! and Conviction for lowering defences?

5. Consider Highlords instead of metalgrid. Youll have decent ar vs bosses with conviction. And Highlords has +1sk/Lres/20IAS!

Aaand Ill be back once youve responded to this!

Peace and love

IncGamers Member

1 - Carrion stands for carrion wine, not for the ring

2 - I also thought about a fcr setup... with wizzy (maybe bered), guillaume's face and goblin toe's... but i think i will lose too much attack rating... so it wouldn't be useful all this cb if i don't hit enemies

3 - I thought about this too... still, decrip is casted 33% of times, while life tap only 10%... and merc will hit more times than me, i guess.

4 - Infinity is a good idea, but i'm not still sure... concentration/decrep gives also bonus damage to my grizzly. And again, it depends if metal + raven + blessed aim + aldur's bonus + HoW + infinity will be too low/enough/too much to hit bosses

5 - If you think my attack rating will be enough it would be really nice to get a highlord... still depending on resistances... maybe i could change a raven instead of metal?

Thanks for help

You can skip all items/skills/auras that gives you ar if you use conviction!

-If you rely on cb from your weapon, this is the way to hit.
    -If you rely on grizzly+merc for the kills, you might aswell just build him as a tank!

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Archone View Post
    You can skip all items/skills/auras that gives you ar if you use conviction!

-If you rely on cb from your weapon, this is the way to hit.
    -If you rely on grizzly+merc for the kills, you might aswell just build him as a tank!
    Really conviction is that good? o.O

Well, of course the first choice... else it would be a summoner druid... aaaand... crap

EDIT:
    Then, what would you use as helm? If 150% ar bonus from aldur's is not needed anymore

Level 12 Conviction = -82% to enemy defence.

Guillaumes? For more cb if anything. With IAS jwl?

IncGamers Member

I still haven't complete his gear... no phoenix and no last wish (i have the runes, but it would be so hard to spend so many all in once xD).
    Anyway, i've found out that the real problem are resistances (no res from armor, or shield, or weapon, or belt).

I have fire res from aldur's boots, light res from highlord (poison res is less important) so i'm thinking again about aldur's helm, with +40-50 cres and 2 sockets (maybe 1 um and 1 ias jewel?).

By now i'm using kira 70@res, but it's a bit wasted, as i will get more res from torch/anni and mara scrolls, together with scs

As you dont aim for +skills and +max dmg on charms. Why not fill him with 8-10 F/L/C res sc's?

Thats both cheap, and easy to get! And you can use guill!

IncGamers Member

Cool idea! I bet it will be a blast to play. Here's a couple ideas for your consideration:

It seems that your elemental damage won't be anything of much significance. You want to be more than a mere summon druid, so you'll have to beef up your melee. So I figure you'd want to pile on the damage auras and IAS. Might from LW is cool, but it means you can't use that on a Merc. So you have Blessed Aim, which works.

But have you considered Faith? This will give you +Dam, +AR, and +IAS. And I don't think you even have any IAS. So you're sitting at a horrid 14 frames per attack, killing your CB and general damage delivery. Slap on a Faith merc and 15 more IAS, and you'll be at 10 frames. Not counting the Fanat damage (or AR) modifier, that's a 40% damage increase just in speed. More importantly, that's a 40% faster CB delivery, something that Pride or Reaper's can't help you with.

If you don't like Fanat, you should at least pile on some IAS.
    7 IAS gives you 13fpa
    Get to 12 with Highlord's. To 11 with some IAS gloves. 2xIAS jewel in a helm (CoA maybe?) and you'll be swingin pretty good.

Another option, of course, is Passion which will let you hit a 6 frame Zeal, but that's at the huge sacrifice of all the LW benefits plus an annoying hit causes monster to flee.

Regardless, despite the fact that you're essentially making a melee build, you're focusing your gear too much as a caster (gloves, belt, armor). Granted FCR will be good for enigma, but zipping around isn't as essential to melee builds in terms of general combat.

IncGamers Member

I thought about faith too.

Anyway, what i learned with my summoner necro is that the best way to kill enemies with a summoner is to teleport on them. Together the damage of 15 skeletons + 15 mages + merc + beast iron golem kills almost everybody with only one shot.
    Of course a druid has a lower power, but still a full synergized grizzly + maxed how + merc + 60-70% crushing blow from myself could be enough.
    Act1 merc with faith would mean a higher damage from me (and from grizzly too) but a much lower damage from merc itself... do you really think it is worth it? (This is not a retorical question, i'd really like to know your opinion ).

You're probably right about the gloves, and about two ias jewels... again aldur's helm or coa.

Other than that... i will probably play sometimes with a friend of mine using a barb with a faith merc... of course this would solve the problem. But there's another problem now... the barb would use find item, but my druid would leave no corpses with phoenix... suggestions are well accepted