Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

Re: Robot Battles/Fights/Wars/Combat/...

Wow, Smash-up Derby. I haven't seen those toys in a long time. I seem to remember when they came out. Meh. I never got to play with them

My friend and I anticipated Smash-Up Derby by a number of years, using cars made from Lego. Lego is some of the best stuff for constructing destructible vehicles.

Preview edit: you changed the YouTube clip! How cheeky!

BattleTag What Me Worry?

My works charity supports these Guys that use Robot Combat & Creation type events to teach Science and Tech to Kids.
    The FIRST Robotics Competition event was a lot of fun.
    You might see if you can team up with a similar organization?
    (This one has events all over the USA but there might be a similar group in Europe?)
    Have fun and help people at the same time.

The excitement of FIRST Tech Challenge
    Grades 7-12

The energy of the FIRST Robotics Competition
    Grades 9-12

The spirit of FIRST LEGO League
    Grades 4-8

The enthusiasm of Junior FIRST LEGO League
    Grades K-3
    Last edited by BobCox2; 03-07-2013 at 22:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnmaster View Post
    *droooooooools*

I have several small cars/helicopters for recreational use indoors, but the quadrocopters have caught my attention as well for a while now, but I'm not sure on howmuch cash to spend on it.

A new and decent one cost on average 300-700 euros (depending on the brand/type),
    but I've seen them being sold for 60 euros on the black market (although the quality is doubtfull)

I've seen several videos and usage of the quadrocopter (constructing a building with blocks, delivering a pizza to your house, carrying the food/drinks to a table in a restaurant, ...)
    But these tiny ones seem something new to me (last documentary I saw about them, the small ones still had a life wire)
    My brother dug his old BEAM walker robot out of the closet yesterday and put it back together. He originally made it back around 2000, and it had some "bugs" (pun intended), but it's pretty neat. Electronically, they're actually really simple and use analog electronics to move and react. No processors! They do have limits though, but are interesting. He's thinking about putting together a newer, better one. The one he has is like a heavier duty, battery powered version of this. It moves toward light, backs up when it hits a wall, and turns away from objects. Here's an old video from the inventor of BEAM robotics:

He starts showing off some of the features around 3:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnmaster View Post
    Pity you're not in Europe, else I'd gladly drive several hundred kilometres to meet up and discuss/listen/watch to you/your robots!
    *sigh* The story of my music career...

I've been watching various Robot combat shows, and saw some more serious damageing ones ^^
    At this point I'm pretty convinced I won't be able to talk my wife into taking up this hobby,
    let alone have her permission to let my son help me in a few years

So for the moment, I've redirected my attention to Lego (remote control technic, mindstorms is rather expensive)
    and after some trial and error I was able to create a car with a functional gearbox.
    I sense my engineering skills atleast are growing, so perhaps a few more projects and I'll be ready for a robot!

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Anybody remember these shows from 5-10 years ago with robots named Sir Killalot etc? They weren't really robots, but remote-controlled.

(skip to 2:00)

D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Free for all match, haven't seen one of those in ages, it's all 1 VS 1 tournament style nowadays ^^

I used to watch those shows all the time, but they become more and more rare.

The Mythbusters guys were also in on the whole robotic combat scene with their way-too-good-bot Blendo. It was so destructive and dangerous, it was kicked out early and given co-champion status.

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
    I used to watch those shows all the time, but they become more and more rare.

The Mythbusters guys were also in on the whole robotic combat scene with their way-too-good-bot Blendo. It was so destructive and dangerous, it was kicked out early and given co-champion status.
    Would love to have been there to see the shrapnel fly into the audience, from the other (safe) side ofcourse

Where those early arena's that crappy? Or was their robot really that destructive?
    (not talking about the flying over the edge part, talking about their second co-championship)

It was just a big, heavy, high-powered "reverse-blender" robot. It's gonna cause some damage! That's something to remember: combat robots are REAL WORLD DANGEROUS AS HECK!! If it can destroy another robot, it can DESTROY a person.

Of course, that's part of the awesome...

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Starting at the ankles and only if your not smart enough to punch out the operator.
    I have yet to see one I would not take on with a sledgehammer (Though I would head for the operator in most cases - the airborne ones (Drones) and hackers that take over your car and crash it are much more real world problems.
    DARPA Talks About Hacking Cars

Michael Hastings