Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Strafer boss weapon idea?

My strafer has been having some problems with bosses so I was thinking about possible weapon switches. Has anyone ever tried something like a 6 socket cullossus xbow with 5xBer and an Um. This would give you 100% CB, open wounds, and an attack slow enough to avoid the next delay. If you have 32-49 off weapon IAS, you'll be hitting at 5 frames between your first and second attack. Ridiculously expensive, I know, but it's so crazy it just might work. Thoughts? Alternatives?

IncGamers Member

Re: Strafer boss weapon idea?

Fleshripper/stormshield is the most recommended option.
    Or you can lower the player setting to 1 and spam 1 pt guided arrow while kiting the boss till it dies.
    Get some crushing blow on your merc.
    Never on any account use strafe vs bosses.

D3 Amazon &
    Demon Hunter Moderator
    BattleTag Dacar92-1368

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbrx View Post
    Not quite true and not necessarily an accepted community position. It is quite possible to use strafe on bosses. I have done it countless times. Most times there is another option, like freezing arrow, but it is possible. It takes a while longer but if you want to continue your play style, don't change any skills. Baal's twin can cause some consternation with strafe. TP out of his area, heal up, wait a moment longer. Then go back in, the twin should be gone. Continue.

To OP, what weapon are you using now? Other gear? Merc type? His weapon?
    Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
    Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!

D3 General & D2 Newcomer Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

Or just slap a Kelpie Snare on the merc, and strafe away at the immobile boss.
    OH PLEASE HELP I found out why Waldo's always hiding he did so many horrible things please let me in he's righ

IncGamers Member

I'm using an upped WWS and my merc has a hone sundan. I was also thinking a hellrack with 2xBer could be a good way to deliver some CB. I don't really want to have a melee switch. I was just thinking of way to get some ranged CB. Is guillames used by many zons?

IncGamers Member

Ranged cb is very ineffective.
    Just get a hone sundan on switch and jab them. Or stack cb on merc.

Merc with CB, strafe with lacerator on switch (switch wep mid-strafe) so that the amp procs on the boss!

Hopefully have some CB yourself, as well. Just because CB is less effective on ranged attacks doesn't mean it's useless.

IncGamers Site Pal crawlingdeadman's Avatar

20points CS + tstrokes and a shield.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clervis View Post
    My strafer has been having some problems with bosses so I was thinking about possible weapon switches. Has anyone ever tried something like a 6 socket cullossus xbow with 5xBer and an Um. This would give you 100% CB, open wounds, and an attack slow enough to avoid the next delay. If you have 32-49 off weapon IAS, you'll be hitting at 5 frames between your first and second attack. Ridiculously expensive, I know, but it's so crazy it just might work. Thoughts? Alternatives?
    Strafe's next delay means a single target can only be hit be an arrow every 5 frames, or 5 times per second. Due to the desynch between client and server at the 50 EIAS and 58 EIAS breakpoints for bows, this attack rate can actually be achieved with the following:

• 50 EIAS and level 8-11 Strafe (4 minimum arrows, but only 3 can hit in just 15 frames)
    • 50 EIAS and level 28-31 Strafe (9 minimum arrows, but only 5 can hit in just 25 frames)
    • 58 EIAS and level 1-3 Strafe (2 minimum arrows can hit in just 10 frames)

Consult the Amazon Basin Diablo II wiki's Amazon attack rate page for more details. At best, a crossbow can hit with a bolt every 5.2 frames (so a bow is only 4% faster), but this requires 67 EIAS and level 16-19 Strafe (6 minimum bolts, but only 5 are fired in just 26 frames). At best, a Colossus Crossbow with 32-41 IAS averages 6.1 frames per attack (level > 31 Strafe for 10 minimum bolts; a 5 frame bow is 22% faster), while one with 42-47 IAS averages 5.7 frames per attack (level > 31 Strafe for 10 minimum bolts; a 5 frame bow is 14% faster).

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbrx View Post
    Fleshripper/stormshield is the most recommended option.
    Or you can lower the player setting to 1 and spam 1 pt guided arrow while kiting the boss till it dies.
    Get some crushing blow on your merc.
    Against a single target, Strafe can hit with an arrow every 5 frames with 50 EIAS and level 8-11 or 28-31 Strafe, while Guided Arrow can hit at most once every 7 frames with 75 EIAS (8 frames with 56 EIAS). Quoting from one of my posts from the Crushing Blow and Strafe topic in the Amazon Basin's Bowazon Room:

Quote Originally Posted by onderduiker
    We've now learnt that Strafe can have a maximum 5 frame average attack rate against single targets, while Guided Arrow has a maximum 7 frame attack rate. However, as mentioned earlier Strafe requires a successful chance-to-hit (capped at 95%) while GA is auto-hit (100% chance-to-hit). How high does chance-to-hit have to be for Strafe to apply Crushing Blow faster? Since there are 25 frames in a second, Strafe has a ceiling of 5 (25/5) attacks per second which is further reduced by chance-to-hit, while GA has a maximum 3 4/7 (25/7) attacks per second. Let C be chance-to-hit: 5C > 25/7 so C > 5/7, and thus Strafe is faster with >71% (100*5/7) chance-to-hit, which isn't unreasonable.

However, it's much easier to achieve Strafe's maximum attack rate (at least 50 EIAS with 4 arrows at level 8-11 or 9 arrows at level 28-31) than that of GA (75 EIAS). Perhaps it would be even more reasonable to compare it with an 8 frame GA attack rate (56 EIAS): 5C > 25/8 so C > 5/8, resulting in Strafe being faster with >62% chance-to-hit.

Now, how about weapon damage per second, which is reduced to 3/4 for Strafe?

Code:
    Vs 7 Frames (75 EIAS):      Vs 8 frames (56-74 EIAS):   Vs 9 frames (50-55 EIAS):
    5C*3/4        > 25/ 7       5C*3/4        > 25/ 8       5C*3/4        > 25/9
    3C/4          >  5/ 7       3C            >  5/ 2       3C/4          >  5/9
    C             > 20/21       C             >  5/ 6       C             > 20/27
    Chance-to-hit > 100*20/21   Chance-to-hit > 100*10/12   Chance-to-hit > 100*20/27
                  > 95%                       > 83%                       > 74%
    So Strafe cannot apply more weapon damage per second than 7 frame GA, although 95% chance-to-hit could be achieved with a combination of attack rating-enhancing and defence-reducing measures, while 5 frame Strafe would still have the advantage of applying things like Crushing Blow and % Chance to Cast more quickly, and requiring less EIAS... plus, it applies +5% Enhanced Damage more than Guided Arrow at the same level.
    Since Crushing Blow damage is reduced to 1/2 when applied by a ranged attack it would be preferable for it to be applied by a melee attack or mercenary (assuming equivalent percentage chances, and attacks averaging less than 10 frames).

IncGamers Member

Wrath runeword

+375% damage against demons
    30% chance to cast decripify
    20% crushing blow

Any boss with decripify is useless... especially baal, that won't use any of his annoying attacks (not even teleporting). This means +375% damage + -50% physical resistance.

I would give it a try