Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

Separate Installation Causing Grief

I recently found my original CDkeys for D2:LoD , so I Installed it to play on Battle.net once more.

However, I already had an installation for Single Player that does need the Play Disc and uses the mod to make all Runewords work in Single Player. After I installed D2 again, it caused both separate installations to load saved characters from the new installation (which doesn't have any characters). I'm pretty sure that's the case, because when I go into the game files of the original installation, I still see all of my old characters in the Save File.

Is there a way to make them load character from their own respective Save Files, or do you think this might be an issue of different versions? They were both v1.13 from knowledge, but I don't know if there are different versions of v1.13 that just show v1.13.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I did use the search and read the sticky post before I posted.

BattleTag kestegs-1550

Re: Separate Installation Causing Grief

I'm not sure why you need two installs, rwm won't get you banned from bnet or anything.

I think the only way to get it to work is maybe by installing it under different windows users? Never tried it myself.

IncGamers Member

I guess I can just move my character files over to the other Save folder for the meantime. Hopefully, I can find out what's making it do that, so I don't have to worry about keeping up with CDs...

BattleTag kestegs-1550

Why not just uninstall the new one?

You could also just make the new one run with no disks also. I think you just copy a couple .mpq files from the disk over, can't remember it for sure, just google it.

IncGamers Member

Hm, I didn't think of just making the new installation not need a CD, thanks . Herp.

I can't get rid of the New Installation, because that's the installation with the CDKey that works on Battle.net.

BattleTag eugene-2504

from your first post i understand you only want your SP characters to load up in new install? simply check for registry key under SOFTWARE\Blizzard sth, there is a key for save folder, set it to old folder and it might work. i do not have access to d2 now so i cannot give you exact key unfortunately, just open registry with "regedit" and check key if you can.