Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Inflation getting you down?

Strange, usually I'm the one accused of over-egging the fapudding.

Back to topic: Vivi, the problem with beef isn't that the cattle farts are somehow making it more expensive as well as causing environmental catastrophe in the feverish dreams of the Watermelon/Granolacrat crowd. It's that the prices of corn are increasingly stupid because of the Gov't making allowances for non-existent environmental problems (note - article is Leftist and inaccurate, but a helpful view at the same problem from my opposition).

If this was Europe, there might be more credible concern about supply - after all, first there was Chernobyl and then there was Mad Cow. But here in the good ole' USA we only have ourselves to blame (for re/re/re/electing such a collection of cretins).

IncGamers Site Pal BipolarChemist's Avatar

Now this is just what I've heard from a couple of sources (mostly the news on TV) and from a few industry workers, but gold is low right now but it has a chance of not bouncing back too much.

The demand for gold is down because it isn't needed as much in industry anymore, as cheaper and better alternatives are being found. This means that gold is mostly used for just jewellery and non essential items. This causes an excess of Gold, dropping the price of gold. I'm also possibly talking out of my ***, but I would recommend seeking some legitimate sources and people before buying a lot of gold, and informed investment is always a much better investment.
    Then I just won't b​other!

I read a guys post recently about how he was recycling gold (and other precious metals) from plated wine cups, old electronics, and separating it via acid bath.

http://i39.tinypic.com/5d12fk.jpg
    http://i44.tinypic.com/2lurtki.jpg
    http://i39.tinypic.com/2j1swnp.jpg
    http://i41.tinypic.com/kdl7ax.jpg
    http://i42.tinypic.com/dlpaae.jpg

Some of the pics, but I think ppl'd get all uppity if I linked there.

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    Strange, usually I'm the one accused of over-egging the fapudding.

Back to topic: Vivi, the problem with beef isn't that the cattle farts are somehow making it more expensive as well as causing environmental catastrophe in the feverish dreams of the Watermelon/Granolacrat crowd. It's that the prices of corn are increasingly stupid because of the Gov't making allowances for non-existent environmental problems (note - article is Leftist and inaccurate, but a helpful view at the same problem from my opposition).

If this was Europe, there might be more credible concern about supply - after all, first there was Chernobyl and then there was Mad Cow. But here in the good ole' USA we only have ourselves to blame (for re/re/re/electing such a collection of cretins).
    Dear, I NEVER mentioned any farts of beef. I said meat is troublesome to produce environmentwise. That doesn't limit to farts, even I know that! Don't make me say things I didn't say, that's not fair.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Don't make me say things I didn't say, that's not fair.
    A common Complaint about JMervyn, my dear.

Yeah well, the thing that can get me really ragingly angry is when people tell me what they think I've said, which is only fine when it's true, but not if they make it up as they go along. Same thing with when they tell me how I must be feeling or what I should be doing. Guess that comes with being raised by a tyranny - I don't want to put up with it any more and I will lash out.

IncGamers Member

Fear not, Vivi. I think it's just part of the frenzy against the great decline of our generation. Can't blame him for being frustrated. We are all trapped in the same soup of tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarChemist View Post
    Now this is just what I've heard from a couple of sources (mostly the news on TV) and from a few industry workers, but gold is low right now but it has a chance of not bouncing back too much.

The demand for gold is down because it isn't needed as much in industry anymore, as cheaper and better alternatives are being found. This means that gold is mostly used for just jewellery and non essential items. This causes an excess of Gold, dropping the price of gold. I'm also possibly talking out of my ***, but I would recommend seeking some legitimate sources and people before buying a lot of gold, and informed investment is always a much better investment.
    Imo, there are no "legitimate sources." Maybe there never were. Our whole money system is a facade, my job is a giant network of lies, yours probably is too, and we can only march along with the lies to survive. You literally can't trust anyone anymore, and every system is set up against us. Even if what you say about gold is true, I'm losing anyway by not buying it. Since 2007, food has gone up such that my savings have been devalued maybe by as much as 30%. So I've essentially lost thousands just by keeping my money in a bank. What have I got to lose?

Gold has been a relatively stable store of wealth for hundreds of years, so odds are good it will remain so. Even if gold remains low, most people buy it to simply protect their wealth, not make a huge profit.

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarChemist View Post

It isn't "needed" as much in industry anymore because industry has been forced to not use it anymore. Day-traders and dooms-dayers bought it all, creating a massive bubble that has now deflated *some*. The real world value of gold probably isn't even half of what it still currently trades at. It still has superior uses, like in electronics, but outside of bling value for rip-off cables, no companies use it anymore because commodities traders have made it ridiculously expensive, not because of better alternatives.

(note: gold prices piss me off because as an electronics enthusiast and technologist in general, it has had a negative impact on the quality and reliability of goods. The same thing has happened to other metals: silver, copper, tin, etc, making things more expensive and forcing companies to cut other corners to maintain prices so a bunch of paranoids can pretend that gold will actually buy them something useful in the post-apocalypse they're sure is just around the corner. I've been rolling around on the floor laughing at the plummeting gold prices honestly.)

I don't know what gold is going to do, but it's still grossly overvalued.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Of course, if there's nothing to buy, a currency makes no sense. I agree that after WW3, you need land, cattle, tools, a family or friends and weapons in the first place, but gold is certainly useful if you produce more than you need yourself, to be saved for times when you need help while others have a surplus.

The reason for the current gold price isn't speculation, but less trust in other investments, like bonds. Apart from that, gold has a lot of its value from being coveted for its own sake since the dawn of mankind. That's not a bubble, but more a kind of balloon which inflates and deflates as time goes by.

Gold isn't overvalued, it's currently just more useful for locking it up in a safe place than it was before. Besides, the gold price in dollars has fallen by one third in the last 3 months.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

IncGamers Member

Techno, most gold buyers aren't anticipating an apocalypse; they are protecting their wealth from the devaluing cash, as people have done successfully many times before. Every fiat currency in history has become worthless paper. I guess I'm paranoid about swimming in lava too, since that also has a 100% failure rate.