Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BattleTag Greer-1174

Re: Diablo 3 1.0.1 "Mod"/option?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkflight View Post
    Play solo, hardcore and self-found and use about MP4. Getting through Inferno is silly hard.

The game is what you make of it at this point. If you want hard the option is there.
    I agree, although you can buy and trade items as intended and the higher MP levels will still kill you unless you're pretty skilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Quingu View Post
    Again, you have a very hardcore mindset. You basically say: "harder and more challenging = more fun". This is NOT the case with many people who play video games. Explosive growth of casual gaming in recent years shows that perfectly.

Blizzard failed, because they catered more to casuals than hardcores. That's why hardcores, like you, have to cheat themselves to play this game. D3 suggests that it is for classic PC hardcore crowd, being in reality a classic console, sofa button masher.
    If you played D3, you would know that you're not going to get too far just walking along mashing buttons. I played D2 with a drink in one hand. If anything, D3 has a much higher twitch factor, and that characters tend to die by making bad moves, mismanaging cool downs, or selecting the wrong skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkflight View Post
    Maybe you simply don't like Diablo 3 then? Nothing wrong with not liking it, but don't expect people on a Diablo fansite to agree with you.

HoMM 3 is one of the best games ever made, and certainly the best in it's (admittedly somewhat narrow) genre. Diablo 3 is one of the most-selling games ever, and from the statistics Blizzard put out about how many people are still playing some time ago I'd say it hasn't exactly failed in keeping people interested. If you don't like it it's fine, but realize that there are plenty of people out there who enjoy playing Diablo 3 without any restrictions or with their own restrictions.
    I agree. I'm over 1000 hours into the game, and cranking up the MP or playing another class is enough to keep up the challenge. You can master a wizard and then switch to DH and get your a$$ kicked until you learn it.

You don't get it. Enigma is ok, except Teleport. Teleport does not brake the game. In ENHANCES it allowing MANY new tactics and tricks. Maybe it's OP, but in a very fun way. In D3 you have only OP **** which makes numbers grow bigger. Big difference.
    Enigma, more than anything, ruined D2. It turned the entire game in a maphack + teleport to the Baal throne room. You couldn't even play a public game without a bunch of Enigma hammerdins barging into the game, cleaning out the throne (and Meph) and leaving. And everyone and his brother was wearing one, because duped Jah and Ber runes flooded the game. I think it was Blizzard's desperate attempt to keep people playing D2 during the long wait for D3, but they wrecked D2 irrevocably.

Limiting teleport was maybe the single best design design in D3. That, combined with NV, means people actually play the game.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan E View Post
    Uh... almost all the "OP" stuff in D3 is OP because it allows you to move and deal AoE damage at the same time, or because it completely prevents monsters from taking actions, NOT because numbers are growing bigger.
    People are WW Barbs now for the same reason they were Sorcs or Enigma whatever's then. People will always speed past what isn't worth doing and go for what is. In D2 that meant a specific item, in D3 it's a specific build. Same principle though - high speed movement.

If it were just the ability to move and attack you'd hear more about Furious Charge/Strafe/TR...

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hazani View Post
    People are WW Barbs now for the same reason they were Sorcs or Enigma whatever's then. People will always speed past what isn't worth doing and go for what is. In D2 that meant a specific item, in D3 it's a specific build. Same principle though - high speed movement.

If it were just the ability to move and attack you'd hear more about Furious Charge/Strafe/TR...
    Either way, it's less about an exponentially-scaling damage number and more about mobility + multitarget damage + blazing speed. I appreciate the pedantry, but I think you knew what I was saying nonetheless.

Banned

Either way, it's less about an exponentially-scaling damage number and more about mobility + multitarget damage + blazing speed. I appreciate the pedantry, but I think you knew what I was saying nonetheless.
    I would like to mention that "mobility" and "blazing speed" are... bigger numbers. Better AoE is mostly a radius factor, so it's a bigger number issue too. XD

Your anecdote about Hammers and Enigma is outdated. HR now (2013) is not that cheap. You have to work for it, if you are new. If you want to just tele to Baal 1k times, it's best to just run a bot, since it's not fun at all. During normal play I often did almost full clears of WSK.

Also, not everybody plays Hammers. I NEVER made ONE. I played smitters for Ubers, using CoH for all res.

IncGamers Member

Except mobility, speed, and AoE aren't really item affixes in the game, and are solely tied into builds, rather than gear. Only movespeed on boots is relevant, and that doesn't make or break any of the OPness you're trying to describe.

Nice try, though.

Banned

Except mobility, speed, and AoE aren't really item affixes in the game, and are solely tied into builds, rather than gear. Only movespeed on boots is relevant, and that doesn't make or break any of the OPness you're trying to describe.

Nice try, though.
    Yeah, try to run around using crappy rares. I bet your mobility will not help you much. So much for "tied to builds" factors. Lets face it: it's all about gear...

You can't even dodge manually in this game (hit lag), for God's sake...

IncGamers Member

Sure you can. Hit lag is just a lazy thing people complain about because they herp derp around and can't figure out how to avoid damage.

Also, I've been running around using crappy rares, and it was fine. I progressed from self-found struggling on MP1 to farming MP4/MP5 with ease. But keep on hatin', I'm sure it'll get you somewhere eventually.

Also, keep on moving the goalposts. Your original point was that gear makes characters OP. But actually, the only OP thing in the game are the tornado-involved Barbarian and Wizard builds, which derive their OP nature from their builds, not their gear. Everything else is pretty well balanced for an equivalent gear level.

Banned

Dude. I never said BUILDS are not balanced. I said that GEAR is imbalanced. Gear is to important and makes to much of a difference.

There is no gear in D2:LoD, which will make Hammerdin do 100k damage. In D3 there is.

IncGamers Member

There is no gear in D2:LoD, which will make Hammerdin do 100k damage. In D3 there is.
    But higher MP monsters also have vastly more HP than D2 monsters did so that comparison is useless.

It's not the DPS that is OP, just some of the crit-based proc stuff.

IncGamers Member

He's right. The gap between best and worst is a lot larger in D3. It's also a lot larger in D2 than he's saying, but still it's much larger in D3.

The main problems regarding build versatility right now are in short:

Only one build moves fast, that's the biggest factor right now. Not as much as before when MP1 was endgame, but still enough so that the new sorceress, the WW barb is the best build just because they waste less time traveling. (WW Barbs are actually inferior in both killing speed and survivability to many other builds... but the fast travel makes them faster anyways.)
    Everything's one dimensional, crits and proc rates (which are based on crits). Whoever has the bigger numbers wins. You CANNOT have many relevant builds at the same time unless there is more than one dynamic by which builds can be useful.
    DHs don't have offensive skills that work well together and synergize off each other, every other class does. So while every other class is using 3-4 attack skills at once, DH skills don't work with each other and often work against each other. They're stuck using only one of them at a time, and then having to load the rest with defensive skills just so they have something useful there... then they end up dying anyways because the skills are just there to try and compensate for their gear... for example, Shadow Power - Gloom being mandatory as DHs cannot practically get life steal and ranged does not function as a concept in game. Said skills are also narrow in scope, which is why you need several of them to do what other classes can do with 1-2.