Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Diablo 3 1.0.1 "Mod"/option?

I know mods are far from ever even being allowed. But at some point I would love to see a mod or option to allow us to play through with the original patch.

The game was brutal in inferno and I kinda miss it. Luckily I cleared inferno before the first patch with a WD, but I would have loved to go through that grueling ride with other characters.

Anyone else feel like they would want to revisit that patch for the "challenge"?

P.S I know it's not a top priority and would gladly let other matters get resolved in the game first.

Banned

Re: Diablo 3 1.0.1 "Mod"/option?

They will never do it. Forget about it.

IncGamers Member

I believe Mods are one of things that they fear the most, much more than piracy, maybe its even the reason why offline mode isnt allowed.

If they handled the game's code the players someone would craft something much better from it at a much faster rate, they would look like fools when a small group of modders would be able to add so much more features and content without the need to gather investors and comitees to see what financial impact a small change on the game's design would do, their bloated corporation design process cant keep up with Indies and Modders and they know it.

They already missed Dota 2, now they probably want to control everything about their games engines from now on.

IncGamers Member

I would be more interested in a Diablo 2 remade in the Diablo 3 engine.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kiroptus View Post
    If they handled the game's code the players someone would craft something much better from it at a much faster rate, they would look like fools when a small group of modders would be able to add so much more features and content without the need to gather investors and comitees to see what financial impact a small change on the game's design would do, their bloated corporation design process cant keep up with Indies and Modders and they know it.
    hahaha dude, you are so right. if the community was given the diablo 3 tools from blizzard, we would have the best ARPG within half a year. it would be a mixture of diablo 2, tl 2 and poe, all coded in diablo 3. and even the story would be better.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kiroptus View Post
    Sad but almost certainly true.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Fizoo-1366

In my experience, almost all modders just redesign the game so that players are more godly and everything is easier. The initial rush is great but then after a few days there is no challenge and people quit.

D3 Amazon &
    Demon Hunter Moderator
    BattleTag Dacar92-1368

Play Skyrim or any number of other games that allow mods. Most mods do not allow the player to be godly. Most are HUD changes or adding quests or adding areas, new dungeons, etc.

It is a developer's prerogative to allow or disallow mods. Although I will never understand why some do not allow them. For me, the Elder Scrolls series would not be still installed on my machine without mods. I still play Morrowind on occasion, mainly due to mods. WoW allows mods. But WoW allows for ongoing revenue too and that helps to support such things in terms of technical support, etc.

And it's not because some fan made mod will outshine Blizzard's game. Devs who allow mods aren't worried about that so why would Blizzard? No, I think it is due to the DRM issue that we have all talked about ad nauseum over the last couple of years. Online play affords Blizzard more control of their product and since the game is free to play, ongoing revenue is difficult to maintain. Mods add complexities and this seems to be something they want to avoid for Diablo.
    Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
    Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dacar92 View Post
    Online play affords Blizzard more control of their product and since the game is free to play, ongoing revenue is difficult to maintain.
    1 - the game costs $60 to play, quite far from free
    2 - the way these games get "ongoing revenue" is by being popular and well-liked so that people will continue buying those $60 boxes (plus future xpacs), somethings mods often help with.

I totally don't understand disallowing mods at it's a win-win for both fans and developers.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag thefranklin-1107

Quote Originally Posted by Fizoo View Post
    In my experience, almost all modders just redesign the game so that players are more godly and everything is easier. The initial rush is great but then after a few days there is no challenge and people quit.
    Games that are highly community modded end up being more challenging with more interesting choices in how you want to play the game. Oblivion was great for modding (Skyrim is the next game in the series) and the main mods for that game increased the difficulty. Then there are other games that are entirely mods, which off the top of my head Counterstrike and Dota 2 were both mods created off of other game's engines. BF2 was created in part due to the Desert Combat mod for BF1942.

I would bet most modders take offense to your statement. If someone made a "unofficial patch" for D2, it would be awesome.

I googled a neat article (first hit when you search "mods that turned into new game") that has some examples.