Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    BattleTag ZeroAffex-1699

Question Started playing D2 again. 9 years absent

Hey everyone, PLEASE SCROLL TO BOTTOM FOR A TL;DR version!!!

I am not sure if people still read these forums still or find Diablo 2 appealing since Diablo 3 is out. Before I begin, just want to lay out my background so you know where I am coming from.

I started playing Diablo back in 1998, I was about 12 years old then.

In 2004, well after Diablo 2 and its expansion LoD came out, I purchased the "BattleChest" which at that time came with the Original Diablo, Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 LoD. I just started my 9th grade year in High School and so I was pretty busy during those days. Back in 04 I beat the game on Normal mode with a Druid and then a Necromancer. I didn't use any builds then, didn't even know they existed. I also never played "Online" then. Once I beat the game with my two characters I got bored and sold my battle chest for 10 bucks at a garage sell. I was just so busy at that time I didn't appreciate how good the game actually was.

Recently in November 2012, I ordered a computer which was shipped incorrectly, therefore for the mistake, they gave me a free copy of Diablo 3. I was pretty stoked because I had no intentions ever playing Diablo 3 since it was a "Always On" internet and I already had a PS3 that met all my gaming needs. So I started playing Diablo 3 just to mess around.

I was shocked how bad Diablo 3 was from what I remembered Diablo 2 being. I played DIablo 3 for a solid 6 months or more. I got really into Hard Core since it seemed the closest to how old Diablo 2 was with the lack of RMAH and decent drops. However lag issues kept killing my toons, and out of frustration, I "Raged Quit" as some would say.

I own the PS3 and pre-ordered D3 for it way back in January, which I will be picking up on my Bday Sept.3. I am completely done with Diablo 3 for PC, its a mega dissapointment for me and I am no longer going to waste time/money playing it. A couple weeks ago I purchased the NEW "Battle Chest" which only comes with D2 and D2 LoD. I started playing it and have been in heaven!!!

Here is why I made this forum:

I don't understand a lot of Diablo 2 language when I try to read other posters forums. Don't have any examples right now but sometimes I just get lost when they start going off about certain items/places or whatever.

1. My BattleChest is the new one with Version 1.12 installed. I don't play online and want to play on the 1.09 patch, however everything ive tried has failed. This included downloading the patches from Blizzard directly along with the zip "Game-LoD" to extract its files and patch it. Nothing is working... What are my options? Do I need to spend 40 bucks and buy the OLD "Battle Chest" to get the 1.07 patch that easily updates to 1.09??

2. Where are some good farming routes for the inexperienced? I am running V1.12 right now, so if anyone has good information on this patch and where they like to run please let me know. At this time I am on NORMAL Act 3 but have been doing lots of runs in Act 1 and Act 2 with high MF on my Necromancer. So far I have a good collection of Set items and legendaries but am always looking to get much more. My goal is to take my Necromancer to Hell but my plan is to farm out all the gear I will need to do this. Where do you guys go to farm good gear and get good xp?

3. Where can I find a good source for Horadic Cube recipes for V1.12 and Patch 1.09 (If I can even get to download 1.09 I do have hopes to play it) My strategy guide that came in my Battle Chest is from 1.07 but has a lot of "beginner" recipes, which is worthless for both versions I will be playing since theyre outdated correct??

I'll ask more questions over the next few weeks but these are the big ones I have been trying to figure out without success. Thanks for reading! Have a nice day!

TL;DR VERSION

Back to playing D2, from playing D3. Been 9 years since I played D2. Playing with newer battlechest V1.12, would like to patch down to 1.09 for better loot, xp and more fun. Haven't been able to downpatch, tried numerous ways. Need help. Don't know where to farm for loot and good experience, would like some imput on where to go. Currently am in NORMAL ACT3 with Necro. Need Horadric Cube recipes for V1.12 and hopefully 1.09 **If I can even downpatch** Anything else you wish to add to help a New "Old Player" to get running and finding good loot is appreciated! Thank you.

Zero!

IncGamers Member

Re: Started playing D2 again. 9 years absent

This is a question more suited for the Single Player Forum. As most who come here are from the realms where you must play the latest patch, v1.13d iirc. If you decide to post in the SPF please be advised about the SPF Rules. Our mods are pretty strict about them.

As for downgrading you could try TrenShadow's Version Switcher Guide. Though I'm not sure if it will work for discs that have been patched to 1.12. I believe you need the older 1.07 expansion discs. Still worth a shot.

BattleTag ZeroAffex-1699

Hey Ladvarian,

Was reallly happy to see your response and the awesome links you gave me. I am very excited to be apart of this community and am relieved that people are still active here. I apologize for not being responisble as I should of and read the forums rules closer. I just rushed in here and posted trying to get some ideas. Thanks for shedding some much needed and appreciated light on the road I should take. The link you gave me is full of sweet information, a gold mine for me! Really excited to spend tomorrow drooling over all the juicy topics it covers and once I am through with it, if I still have questions, I can seek out some further insight from fellow posters on here. (In appropriate sections this time) Just super stoked with your response, thanks again! You made my day man. I am so excited to learn the mass wealth of information that this community has to share.

Have a wonderful night Ladvarian! Take care buddy!

-Zero

PS: For any mods who read this post, I apologize if I broke any forum rules. I did not read the guidelines prior to posting, I just wasn't sure if the D2 forums were still running or not. I do have some good information now to work with and in the future will post threads accordingly. Sorry for any inconvience I caused. Thank you for hopefully understanding. Bye!

BattleTag mordell-1747

If you continue to have trouble, send a pm to RobbyD. He has a lot of experience with older versions and is a member of the D2 SPF. But, I expect that once you post in the SPF, you'll get plenty of help.

D3 General & D2 Newcomer Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

Welcome to our site! Hell Cows were the primary levelling / magic finding spot in 1.09. I'd recommend a lightning based build if you're planning on running them, as the Cow King is lightning immune, and you don't want to kill him. Best of luck to you!
    OH PLEASE HELP I found out why Waldo's always hiding he did so many horrible things please let me in he's righ

BattleTag ZeroAffex-1699

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Welcome to our site! Hell Cows were the primary levelling / magic finding spot in 1.09. I'd recommend a lightning based build if you're planning on running them, as the Cow King is lightning immune, and you don't want to kill him. Best of luck to you!
    Hey thanks for the warm welcome Noodle! Also appreciate the tips on the Cow Level haha! Will try to do this if all possible. I appreciate the kind words though! Have a great day!

-ZeroAffex