Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Psycho707-2147

Started Diablo 6 days ago...need some help with wizard build

ok so i started on monday. my wizard now is a super squishy. what should i gem? i die easy so ive gemmed into vit. im currently using glass cannon for the dps. is this a good thing? what passives should i use?

BattleTag mordell-1747

Re: Started Diablo 6 days ago...need some help with wizard build

Here's a link to the builds in the wizard forum here: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...d-Editionder-0

You should read the three guides and then skim/read the rest of the posts linked.

I don't play my wizard much, so I'm not able to give the best advice on skills. If you look at my wizard: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/m...7/hero/2853139, the skills I have set on him work pretty well. Living Lightning is used to proc Critical Mass to generate a lot of Arcane Power**, which you then use to spam Arcane Orb. There are plenty of viable skill options, though. When my wiz was was too squishy, I compensated with using more defensive skills. You only have 3 (2 active, 1 passive), whereas you should probably have at least 5 (between active and passive) until you get your gear sorted out better.

I don't really see a theme going with your gear. You have a good amount of Critical Hit Chance (CC), but very little Critical Hit Damage (CD). You also have very little Arcane Power on Crit (APoC). These two things mean that your high critical hit chance does you very little good. You need to get some more CD and APoC.

You have very low resistances, which is part of why you die so much. You need to aim for All Resist on every item slot that can possibly have it. This will compete with things like Int, Vit, CC, and CD, so you have to try to make a balance.

The other reason that you're dying so much is that you have almost no way of healing once your health gets low. You really need a decent combination of Life Regen, Life on Hit, and Life Steal. It's possible to do okay with Life on Kill or +HealthPots, but I don't think those are as effective, at least as a main source of healing. While your damage isn't very high, Life on Hit is probably the best source of healing. When your damage gets higher, Life Steal is better, and in either case, a few hundred points of Life Regen is good for keeping your health bulb topped off. I'd say that you should focus on Life Steal once your DPS is over 60k and also bear in mind that LS works equally well with slow and fast attacks, but LoH works best when your attacks speed is high. If you're going to use Chantodo's set, then you can probably stick with LoH longer if you want.

Lastly, you should probably use an eDPS/eHP calculator. There are online webforms that load your Battlenet Armory profile and calculate your character's eDPS, which is your Effective Damage Per Second, and your eHP, which is your Effective Hit Points. I don't seem to have a good one bookmarked, but I know that I've used some very good ones in the past. You should google for one. Using such a calculator is very helpful in deciding on gear changes.

** My wizard's gear has a decent amount of CC and APoC. You also need to know about proc rates. http://www.d3maxstats.com/?p=procrates&class=wiz Suppose you're using a skill that has a proc rate of 50%. When you get a critical hit, then (and this is something my memory is fuzzy on for wizards) you either get a 50% chance of getting the total APoC listed on your gear or you automatically get 50% of the APoC on your gear (but I don't remeber which it is).

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other questions, though since I'm not as experienced with wizards, I may not be able to help.

Edit: I think this might help: http://d3up.com/.
    Last edited by SnickerSnack; 18-06-2013 at 02:39.