Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

The Making of The Frozen Zealot

Hey,

I'd like to try a Frozen Zealot, that is a Zealot built on Holy Freeze aura. Since I can't find any guides that fully fulfil my needs (1. Frozen Zealot 2. The best gear possible), I'd like to -for the first time- figure the char out by myslef. But I couldn't make it without help. And that's why I'm posting this thread. Please help me build the "perfect" Frozen Zealot

According to Kitriara's build, here's how it can all play out:

Cold Damage
    20 Zeal
    20 Holy Freeze
    20 Resist Cold
    20 Salvation
    5 or more in Holy Shield

Physical Damage
    20 Zeal
    20 Sacrifice
    20 Resist Cold
    20 Holy Freeze
    5 or more in Holy Shield

Offensive
    20 Zeal
    20 Sacrifice
    20 Holy Freeze
    20 Cold Resist
    20 Salvation

But skills aren't the problem anymore. We can always reset, test, adjust to taste. The problem is buying almost perfect "Doom" in a not-so-popular weapon and realising that you prefer the "Death" rune word. Let's talk about gear. Here's the typical high-end Zealot (non-Frozen) gear:

Unfrozen Zealot Gear
    Guillmaue's + IAS
    Armor
    Zakarum + IAS
    Nosferatu's Coil
    Highlord's Wrath
    LoH
    Raven + LL ring
    eth "Death" Ettin Axe
    Gores

My #1 goal is to adjust this build to Frozen needs. First of all, I think Doom would be better. What do you think? If you had unlimited budget (I don't, but let's dream for a while), how will your Frozen Zealot look like? I'm also interested in knowing the details about socketing items, getting enough IAS, etc. What is in your opinion the best weapon for this build? What is the best gear? What armor suits this build best? I'd appreciate every help

Greets
    Last edited by w-igor; 07-06-2013 at 12:51.

IncGamers Member

Re: The Making of The Frozen Zealot

First of all, I think by 'unfrozen' you mean fanatic zealot right? Because without fanaticism you can't really swing 'Death' fast enough to make it worth it. And obviously you have the rest of the setup as a fanatic zealer as well.

For a holy freeze zealot, I would use 'Doom' zerker axe. It has good ias, +2 skills and -eCR and decent damage, and it freezes stuff, though the holy freeze aura wouldn't stack with your own. Check the weapon speed calculator, 5fpa should be quite easy. You can use a fanaticism merc ( A1 rogue with faith ) to hit 4fpa, or use a might merc with reaper ( decrep for more phys dmg and mass slow ), or a might merc with infinity ( more elemental damage, though not many cold immunes will break under conviction ).

Another option is grief phase blade. Great physical damage, though not having any skills or -eCR.

Remaining setup would be Chains of Honor, Nightwing's veil, Herald of zakarum, and gloves/belt/amulet/socketing choices would be based on ias requirement to hit breakpoints.

IncGamers Member

Yeah, that really makes sense, thanks a lot for your input Zaphodbrx
    Yes I meant the fanatic Zealot. Could you help me out with calculating FPS? I haven't ever done it. It's dependant on weapon speed, IAS on gear, IAS on skill, and IAS on eventual Fanaticism, right? But how much when?
    If you guys have any more ideas and suggestions, please feel free

BattleTag eugene-2504

i did something similar but focused on light. Dual dream + grief running with conviction after i tested your "unfrozen" build. i changed build due to unbreakable cold immunes and low elemental damage.

if you are not running with fanaticism you should check your speed as zaphodbrz mentioned. doom zerker axe should easily give you fast speed with a few IAS jewels. (63IAS for 5/10 , 86 for 5/9 zeal speed, 152 for 5/8, 200 for 4/8 max) you will already have 45 from weapon so 3 jewels or a nosferatu/highlords/loh will make you reach 5/9 easily.

synergy max'd doom + conviction with physical based gear (crushing blow, deadly strike, fortitude, max'd sacrifice/zeal) can make a good physical+low cold running paladin. problem is about the non-breakable cold immunes where physical kills. PI/CI are the problems but merc can do kill them with light or fire based gear (a3 ones really shine here because you are running with conviction or a2 with expensive fire/light aura gear like dream/hand of justice/dragon)

you can also think about the a5 merc with lawbringer, he casts decrepify frequently so evey monster will be very slowed, with your holyfreeze they will be in near frozen state. also your PI/CI immune enemies will be CI only.

"doom" with max'd synergy deals 459-486 cold damage with each hit (just the holyfreeze itself) so you might focus on gear about %colddmg/-%enemyres stuff to increase effectiveness. or just skip this build like i did

Zaphod said something there, about Doom.

If you use Dooms aura, you can use Fanatisicm and still benefit from the synegies to Holy Freeze.

HF doesnt do alot of dmg anyways, its mainly used to freeze your enemies. So consider that.