Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    There are other fun things. I found a witching hour last night (in HC) and was pretty happy to see it. I\'ve found orange belts before without any joy, so it wasn\'t until I had the Inv open and saw lvl 63 on the tooltip that I got excited. (Conversely, I actually get angry when I find an orange hat, since I\'ve found at least 30 Andy\'s hats so far, and 1 Mempo ever.)

And the Witching Hour rolled nicely also, with 85 dex and 56 arcane, plus 9%/42%. Looks like it\'s about 60-80m comp value, though I\'m probably going to keep it since my Monk is using Arcane for his OWE and I wanted to upgrade to this belt at some point (my last Monk died at P65 and was wearing one not quite so nice).

But that\'s kind ofmy point on the AH and D3\'s hugely varied items. When something sells in the AH, I know it\'s a few million for me (I don\'t list stuff below about 2m these days) and I can use that gold for exactly what I want. When I find an item it\'s 99.999% not good, and when it is, it\'s very seldom exactly what I want for my particular character. That Witching Hour wouldn\'t have been useful for me had it rolled with cold, fire, lightning, str, etc.

And that\'s where the AH comes in handy, since it\'s such a convenient way to turn stuff I don\'t want into stuff I do.

I\'d prefer D3 to have better drop rates and Ironborn to be more viable, etc. But I have zero desire to return to the WUG days of D2 trade channel spam. I\'m not sure how the devs can really bridge that divide, though I think various item upgrade options (Mystic = binding), or I like ideas of items losing some quality each time they\'re exchanged. There are definitely improvements possible to the current system, but returning to D2\'s methods would not be amongst them.

Oh, IGN. *gentle pat on the head* How adorable.

IncGamers Member
    D2 was so much better! Here\'s why!

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?720492-Lower-Kurast-%28LK%29-FAQ

If you wanted top-tier gear, instead of fussing with a silly AH you just run one area about 10,000 times without killing anything. That\'s the direct estimate from this site; the number is exactly what it stated. Of course you could always buy the duped armor with duped rings and save time, but we apparently hate hackers and botters these days so that\'s not cool anymore. Shame on you naughty people.

I\'d rather have a fun hack n slash with decent gear reasonably accessible than hacking it all (D2) or chinafarming to feed money to botters (D3).

BattleTag stonerdoom-1945
    Look, we can probably all agree that the drop rates *and more to the point* the itemization mechanisms of D3 are royally messed up. However, there is still this lingering romaticism of D2. I have a hard time believing that everyone on the forums here has found numerous zods, SoJs, and WF\'s. It didn\'t happen. The loot was beyond duped and EVERYONE had the same outfit.

IncGamers Member
    Zods, found 1 in 10 years of on/off playing. SoJ\'s, Windforces, found them both several times over. Hell, found 2 Windforces in the span of 10 minutes once.

IncGamers Member
    The problem is the too many people think that anything below the absolute top end isn\'t \"decent gear\". As someone who has always played self-found - in D1, 2, and 3 - \"decent gear\" isn\'t that hard to find if by \"decent\" you mean gear that\'s good enough to beat the game.

IncGamers Member
    If you like playing with the auction house, Flux, you should give Eve online a spin. It has a far better economic-trade system and your accomplishment there will have more impact.

IncGamers Member
    If all you care about is beating the game, then the whole drop rate argument is irrelevant. I\'m pretty sure the whole turmoil thing comes from people who stuck around past killing D on MP0 once.

IncGamers Member
    It\'s actually not that hard to make self-found drops more appealing without turning it into WUG. For one, separating gear based on STR/DEX/INT was a huge mistake, and changing that alone would have a huge impact. Next, they need to make stats other than crit more appealing. Honestly, crit damage and crit chance should be conbined into 1 affix and made weaker. A high dps char in D3 does 95% of their damage from crits minimum (and no, that\'s not a made up statistic). Diversity should be more than what class you picked, it should be about what build you play. Right now everyone stacks crit, so anything that\'s not crit is bad for everyone. They successfully made an item system were 99% of loot is crap, but the problem is the 1% that is good is basically split equally between the 3 primary stats. We don\'t need to rely on legendaries to make different builds viable, we need to change how stats work and how abilities scale.

Lots of builds are based on crit, and the rest only see it as the best dps stat rather than necessary for their build. Endless Wrath of the Berserker is a problem, but that aside, the uptime is based on crit chance. Monks need crit both to keep sweeping wind going and to spawn tornadoes with it, which is a big dps factor for them. CM wiz needs crit or else they can\'t keep their arcane pool full and their abilities off cooldown.

Now how many abilities scale with attack speed specifically? You could argue it helps keep short duration buffs up like frenzy and bash buffs, but there\'s really no difference between slow and fast for dps, and it plays the same way just with more rampup time. I played a thorns WD for a while when inferno was really tough, but my damage capped out really low because I wasn\'t stacking crit, and in the end it was only efficient for playing with a super tight budget.

As long as items are distinctly grouped by STR/DEX/INT, and as long as there are only a few stats completely dominating the wish list, the item game will continue to be incredibly stale and self-found will be only a dream.

I doubt anyone meant to return to the D2 days. Why you keep saying that? If after all this time they had available, they return eventually to the D2 system... I don\'t want to even think about it.
    You already named a few ideas. You know they would simply ignore them (and anything similar) if we had Jay\'s team still here. Let\'s remain positive and hope these guys will do something on this.