Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Halloween

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

Re: Halloween

It's his fave holiday and I'm sure he's done some crazy and cooky things for Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
    It's his fave holiday and I'm sure he's done some crazy and cooky things for Halloween.
    Although I can cook, I don't spend much time in the kitchen,
    as I tend to overcare the food to perfection and it'll take too long before anyone can eat.

I did however have some nice ideas (just got back from a walk in the forest)
    - found a nice tree to hide myself, planning of lowering or even dropping myself from it
    (still debating whether this will be wise, or possibly have me ending up in the hospital)
    - thought of putting floating candles in acid vinegar, and when people come near, drop baking powder in it
    (carbondioxide will form and gently blow out the candles 1 by 1 if you put them on different heights)
    giving the illusion that lights around them are going out as if something dark is drawing near
    - I made a semi-hologram last year by projecting an image on the road and into the foilage
    I'm going to add a very slim waterfall (single holes, but a lot next to eachother)
    and then project images onto that (saw it done on Unchained Reaction)

Anybody care to comment or improve these ideas? (would you like it if you went on a halloween trip in the forests?)

IncGamers Member

Here are the ideas I came up with at work. In a convergent evolution of ideas, I had a similar take on lights going out. You will need two helpers. One is a mole who goes with the group. The other stays ahead (unseen) and pulls gags, but wears a black robe and makeup in case he's spotted. It's possible for the mole to do it all, though.

The group learns they are trespassing on sacred land and must pay the price.

-Distribute flashlights. They all go out (almost) simultaneously. The group must then use a torch or lantern.

You can time a battery's life by leaving one of the flashlights on all day. Then, likewise drain a batch of batteries until they have X minutes of juice left. To make it more simultaneous, you'd have to know a bit about bomb-making using dissolving capsules filled with fluid that will wreck the flashlight circuitry.

To push this further, have the mole or someone carry batteries, but when anyone opens their flashlight, blood pours out. You can do this by having a small ziplock bag or water balloons of fake blood taped along the inside of each flashlight. The cap has an unfolded paperclip or a fishing line and hook that tears the bag/balloon open when unscrewed. Or the like. Or, just start with the flashlights on end (on a table) and they contain test tubes of fake blood mixed with something that will mess up the current. There are pinholes in the stopper so the blood leaks out slowly until it floods the inside.

-Build a fake graveyard. Cheap crosses made of sticks.

-It rains blood on the group.

Have the helper simply fill a supersoaker with microwaved fake blood kept in a thermos. He stays behind the group a ways and sprays upward such that the projectile motion makes in rain down almost vertically. This will take some practice trials and angle measurement beforehand.

-Have a stereo system (using batteries) hidden in a fir tree about 8 feet up, just high enough so no one running over can find it. The helper or mole uses a remote control to press play. It plays spooky death threats and explains the premise of sacrilege: The group must make sacrifices or everyone will die horribly.

-^They are told to exhume a marked grave. The ground is hard and natural, and they dig up a crate with human bones in it.

To prepare, dig a hole NEXT to the cross they are instructed to dig at. At the bottom, dig horizontally and slide the trunk into the alcove. Fill in the hole, and remove any excess mud to make the area flat. Spread leaves everywhere to cover the signs of overturned earth. Thus, when they dig at the grave marker, it will be undisturbed ground.

-The trunk also has an ancient book, but it's stained so nothing can be read.

Just soak an old hardcover in mud or whatever it takes to eliminate the writing. One page, however, is clean and has pictures (that you draw yourself) showing how to perform a ritual (see later). The blank page can be one with a chapter or heading on it, but you stain the hell out of the text so it looks like a random blob of mud. Soaking this page in tea will yellow it. If the group doesn't find the page, the mole is there to solve this one for them.

-The page shows an illustration of a wrist with a triangle of moles on it (or some other distinction). This person is the "Selected One" mentioned by the voices (from the stereo). The mole, your helper, has the mark on his wrist (makeup--it will be too dark for scrutiny). He or she (she for now) shows everyone and volunteers to perform the first ritual since she obviously has the mark of the Selected One. The mark can be something quite distinct that the helper has anyway, but it must be weird enough so no one else in the group will have it, like a particular scar.

-The illustration below the mark of the Selected One shows some symbols that must be painted on her chest with mud or whatever. The mole goes into the trees and around a hill for privacy to remove her shirt and paint the symbols. Then, she screams in agony and begs everyone to help. But when they show up, there is no trace of her except for all her clothes, drenched in blood.

So what really happened is she went around the hill and kept going deeper in the woods to escape the group. The RC stereo plays a very brief recording of her screaming and calling for help. It must be timed so the voice cuts out when the group shows up for the rescue. The duplicate set of bloody clothes can be left there in advance or carried in a bag then dropped by the mole.

-There can be more tortured screams later on the trail depending on how many stereos you want to set up or if the helper wants to run ahead repositioning the one stereo. This would help greatly to prime the trick below.

-They come across a dead man staked out on the ground and burning to a crisp. He trespassed without completing the ritual.

It's a dummy in real clothes. But it will be set on fire by the helper ahead so it's blazing and unapproachable when the group arrives.

-Spike everyone's tea with shrooms.
    Kidding. Don't do that.

-You can distribute bottled water, and have your mole switch them with bloody water at some point, but its risky. A simpler way is to fill a sack in front of them with bottles of water "for later", then simply walk away with it and leave an identical sack (with bloody water) by the door to be grabbed on the way out. Anyway, the one bottle that does not turn red has the Selected One's name on it. They find a goblet in the middle of the trail.

-The next illustration on the page demonstrates someone holding aloft a goblet. A prayer is to be chanted, and the wielder (some random volunteer) must self-anoint by pouring the holy water over his head. But the water turns to blood. Sucker.

I don't know if the chemicals for doing this are safe around the eyes, so there is a perfectly safe way using a rigged goblet. The neck of the goblet is hollowed out, filled with red dye, and a false floor is made with idk, glue/wax. They pour in bottled water. A pinhole in the false floor lets the dye diffuse while they hold the goblet overhead and chant a long prayer (given on the page, maybe).

-That's all for now, but there are probably some fun things you can do with the chemical blood if you can get the stuff that turns clear liquid red.

Last edited by stillman; 11-06-2013 at 14:13.

Awesome ideas! Pity you're from Canada, I'd loved to have had you as my "wingman" on this!

Quote Originally Posted by stillman View Post
    Here are the ideas I came up with at work. In a convergent evolution of ideas, I had a similar take on lights going out. You will need two helpers. One is a mole who goes with the group. The other stays ahead (unseen) and pulls gags, but wears a black robe and makeup in case he's spotted. It's possible for the mole to do it all, though.

The group learns they are trespassing on sacred land and must pay the price.
    Sofar I've had one person in the woods helping me out, I never would have thought about placing a mole in the group.
    Also, even with my wild fantasies/imaginations, I've had trouble coming up with a decent story line.
    (although last year wasn't too bad, it started fairy tale like, got interupted by freddy krueger, and had witches and cyborgs in it ^^)

-Distribute flashlights. They all go out (almost) simultaneously. The group must then use a torch or lantern.

You can time a battery's life by leaving one of the flashlights on all day. Then, likewise drain a batch of batteries until they have X minutes of juice left. To make it more simultaneous, you'd have to know a bit about bomb-making using dissolving capsules filled with fluid that will wreck the flashlight circuitry.

To push this further, have the mole or someone carry batteries, but when anyone opens their flashlight, blood pours out. You can do this by having a small ziplock bag or water balloons of fake blood taped along the inside of each flashlight. The cap has an unfolded paperclip or a fishing line and hook that tears the bag/balloon open when unscrewed. Or the like. Or, just start with the flashlights on end (on a table) and they contain test tubes of fake blood mixed with something that will mess up the current. There are pinholes in the stopper so the blood leaks out slowly until it floods the inside.
    I have tried something like this in the past (not for halloween) and there are several problems:
    1) each light will drain a battery at a slightly different rate (production differences in both the light bulb and the battery)
    2) it's impossible to predict what temperature it'll be, batteries might drain faster/slower than expected
    3) generally, only 1 flashlight is allowed per halloween group, toomuch light will reveal everything
    4) people generally don't follow orders well during those nightly forest walks, and a mole can only "safe" somuch

Perhaps I can "rig" the one flashlight, so when they use it (spurred by the mole at the right time), blood starts dripping out?

-Build a fake graveyard. Cheap crosses made of sticks.
    Done that last year, added funny/famous names on the graves, and the hand creeping out the ground.
    Planning to do it again next halloween (not sure if I'll be able to make this one), but with different woodtypes and names.

-It rains blood on the group.

Have the helper simply fill a supersoaker with microwaved fake blood kept in a thermos. He stays behind the group a ways and sprays upward such that the projectile motion makes in rain down almost vertically. This will take some practice trials and angle measurement beforehand.
    This might pose several problems:
    1) it's quite cold, spraying people with a liquid (cold or warm) will leave them wet, and overtime cooled down
    2) people might not like their clothes/jackets being sprayed with a coloured substance
    3) people objected last year when confronted (subtle) with being sprayed during such a walk (water)

-Have a stereo system (using batteries) hidden in a fir tree about 8 feet up, just high enough so no one running over can find it. The helper or mole uses a remote control to press play. It plays spooky death threats and explains the premise of sacrilege: The group must make sacrifices or everyone will die horribly.
    Another neat idea which I semi-implemented last year, my assistant brought a kid's synthesizer with prerecorded sounds,
    but this year, my wife got a portable radio for her birthday which I can borough ^^

(the first halloween walk I made I used a selfmade stereo on my predator outfit, with a build-in mp3 player to produce the famous sounds,
    unfortunatelly it lacked power and was only slightly hearable in melee range )

-^They are told to exhume a marked grave. The ground is hard and natural, and they dig up a crate with human bones in it.

To prepare, dig a hole NEXT to the cross they are instructed to dig at. At the bottom, dig horizontally and slide the trunk into the alcove. Fill in the hole, and remove any excess mud to make the area flat. Spread leaves everywhere to cover the signs of overturned earth. Thus, when they dig at the grave marker, it will be undisturbed ground.
    Another swell idea, a lot of work to prepare, and not sure if people will want to wait while 1 person in the group digs,
    but I'm definetally going to try to see how this can be implemented in my next forest walk!

-The trunk also has an ancient book, but it's stained so nothing can be read.

Just soak an old hardcover in mud or whatever it takes to eliminate the writing. One page, however, is clean and has pictures (that you draw yourself) showing how to perform a ritual (see later). The blank page can be one with a chapter or heading on it, but you stain the hell out of the text so it looks like a random blob of mud. Soaking this page in tea will yellow it. If the group doesn't find the page, the mole is there to solve this one for them.
    Putting it on my list right now!

-The page shows an illustration of a wrist with a triangle of moles on it (or some other distinction). This person is the "Selected One" mentioned by the voices (from the stereo). The mole, your helper, has the mark on his wrist (makeup--it will be too dark for scrutiny). He or she (she for now) shows everyone and volunteers to perform the first ritual since she obviously has the mark of the Selected One. The mark can be something quite distinct that the helper has anyway, but it must be weird enough so no one else in the group will have it, like a particular scar.
    This is getting better with every line =D

-The illustration below the mark of the Selected One shows some symbols that must be painted on her chest with mud or whatever. The mole goes into the trees and around a hill for privacy to remove her shirt and paint the symbols. Then, she screams in agony and begs everyone to help. But when they show up, there is no trace of her except for all her clothes, drenched in blood.

So what really happened is she went around the hill and kept going deeper in the woods to escape the group. The RC stereo plays a very brief recording of her screaming and calling for help. It must be timed so the voice cuts out when the group shows up for the rescue. The duplicate set of bloody clothes can be left there in advance or carried in a bag then dropped by the mole.
    Voice cut can be done by remote, shutting down the radio.

-There can be more tortured screams later on the trail depending on how many stereos you want to set up or if the helper wants to run ahead repositioning the one stereo. This would help greatly to prime the trick below.
    This will probably be done by 1 person running around (I've done all gags with a single assistant in all walks sofar)

-They come across a dead man staked out on the ground and burning to a crisp. He trespassed without completing the ritual.

It's a dummy in real clothes. But it will be set on fire by the helper ahead so it's blazing and unapproachable when the group arrives.
    Very nice, but I don't think people appreciate a full sized dummy being set on fire in the middle of the forest,
    they were already quite annoying when I set up candles (even while using protective bottles to contain the flame)

Also, there's the risk of other people randomly walking in the forest and seeing the fire, panicking and calling the fire department.

(I might have to add that I don't have a permit for these walks, I'm arranging it alone, and for friends, nobody pays for it)

-Spike everyone's tea with shrooms.
    Kidding. Don't do that.
    That won't be necessary, a large portion of the group loves to consume alcohol in greater quantities (some beer, some cocktails with high spirits)
    And tea at halloween? The general beverage is soup (which would actually serve better to serve shrooms ^^)
    And high spirits and/or hot chocolade at the end of the trip.

-You can distribute bottled water, and have your mole switch them with bloody water at some point, but its risky. A simpler way is to fill a sack in front of them with bottles of water "for later", then simply walk away with it and leave an identical sack (with bloody water) by the door to be grabbed on the way out. Anyway, the one bottle that does not turn red has the Selected One's name on it. They find a goblet in the middle of the trail.
    Hm, water, somehow I don't think I can convince anyone to drink that They even bring their own high spirits for along the way ^^

-The next illustration on the page demonstrates someone holding aloft a goblet. A prayer is to be chanted, and the wielder (some random volunteer) must self-anoint by pouring the holy water over his head. But the water turns to blood. Sucker.

I don't know if the chemicals for doing this are safe around the eyes, so there is a perfectly safe way using a rigged goblet. The neck of the goblet is hollowed out, filled with red dye, and a false floor is made with idk, glue/wax. They pour in bottled water. A pinhole in the false floor lets the dye diffuse while they hold the goblet overhead and chant a long prayer (given on the page, maybe).
    A very nice idea, but nobody is going to poor cold dyed water over their head when it's freezing/snowing.

-That's all for now, but there are probably some fun things you can do with the chemical blood if you can get the stuff that turns clear liquid red.
    Well well well, took me a while to read it all, but I've definetally gained a mass of ideas, I'll be sure to mention your contribution
    when the group finishes the tour and comments on it!

Thanks for everything, cheers, and peace mate!