Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halloween

Halloween

When I was a child, Halloween didn't exist here, we saw it on television when watching an american (horror mostly) movie.
    My mother always decorated the house and made fancy meals because she liked the idea.
    Years after that, Halloween started seeping in our stores and in our shows, now it's a commercial thing.

But I've always enjoyed Halloween a lot, eventhough it's not a genuine "holiday".
    Since I moved out my parents house, I haven't been occupied much with Halloween,
    but ever since I moved in with my wife and we bought a house together, I got the itch again.

Nowadays, I organize (for a small group of friends) a yearly walk through the forest,
    where the pathway is filled with horror gadgets of my own design.
    Perhaps I won't be organizing one this year because Kevin is a little to young.

But I'm curious as to what ideas you'd want to see / build / use / scare?
    So I can prep myself with outsider ideas for a change.
    (most ideas my friends have seem to be restricted to running around in a white sheet...)

Peace

IncGamers Member

Re: Halloween

There are books on this. One thing that works is blindfolding everyone (or sending them through a pitch black room) and making them feel objects that the host describes. Peeled grapes are eyeballs, cold noodles are worms, etc. A haunted house works better than a forest trail because of claustrophobia and having complete control of the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by stillman View Post
    There are books on this. One thing that works is blindfolding everyone (or sending them through a pitch black room) and making them feel objects that the host describes. Peeled grapes are eyeballs, cold noodles are worms, etc. A haunted house works better than a forest trail because of claustrophobia and having complete control of the environment.
    2 people from my group suggested this, but it's generally more considered for children (their intention as well),
    while I'm aiming for a more adult theme (but still suitable enough should any children accompany us)

Also, an entire forest gives you more options than a house:
    1) you have more space to do things / keep them seperated
    2) people have no idea where they're going / howlong it'll take
    3) people feel less comfortable, not knowing what surrounds them / what possible wild animals there might be
    4) people are more susceptable to "wild" stories when in a forest (eg: I've seen a wild boar here a few days ago)
    5) fire/smoke is more dangerous in a small room, compared to open area's in the woods
    6) the atmosphere is more tense and real in a forest (cracking wood / wind blowing)

And there are probably books, I was just looking for weird ideas people would have that aren't in the books ^^

For example, a few things I did last year:
    - they had to poor magic dust (salt) on a crystal ball (in a water box), which would then illuminate (closing electric circuit) and show them the path
    - there was a homemade graveyard with a glove crawling out the ground, fingers controlled by a remote
    - a fireball spread across the path (creamer), after which I jumped into the group dressed as freddy krueger

But I want to go bigger/badder/better

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

heyyyyy it's a genuine holiday! a lot older than most holidays, in spirit anyway, since it is an amalgam of a few different ones

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Housewares View Post
    heyyyyy it's a genuine holiday! a lot older than most holidays, in spirit anyway, since it is an amalgam of a few different ones
    Is Sinterklaas a genuine holiday in your country?

, cold noodles are worms,
    Oh no! Someone killed Noodle!

Books are a good suggestion for ideas. And from what I've read from your Brainiac style chemistry I'm sure you can come up with something. All I know is how to scare pepper.

BattleTag kestegs-1550

I don't know why you would want to try and celebrate a holiday I hate.

IncGamers Member

Sounds like you have a good budget for this. In that case, I'll think up some ideas at work tonight. Right now, I think it'd be cool to have hidden assistants messing with people, as they can retreat into the woods. A forest trek does sound like an evolution of the haunted house theme. It sounds like you have them solve puzzles, complete a story, or do a scavenger hunt, which are also fun ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Oh no! Someone killed Noodle!
    What goes around comes around.

BattleTag TheNix-6417

The retailers have been pushing hard to try to create an interest in Halloween, or at least trick or treating, here in Australia. When kids come to the door I tell them to go forth and multiply.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Books are a good suggestion for ideas. And from what I've read from your Brainiac style chemistry I'm sure you can come up with something. All I know is how to scare pepper.
    Actually I got some ideas from Mythbusters and Unchained Reactions

(espescially the part shows where do mention "do NOT try this at home" )

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    I don't know why you would want to try and celebrate a holiday I hate.
    Well, I have 2 good reasons:
    1) I like it.
    2) We live approx 8500 miles apart, so I don't think I'll be bothering you with any fancy stuff I'm doing here ^^

Sounds like you have a good budget for this. In that case, I'll think up some ideas at work tonight. Right now, I think it'd be cool to have hidden assistants messing with people, as they can retreat into the woods. A forest trek does sound like an evolution of the haunted house theme. It sounds like you have them solve puzzles, complete a story, or do a scavenger hunt, which are also fun ideas.
    Actually, I keep the budget as low as possible, using mostly stuff I have lying around the house, or that get's thrown away at work.

I actually had 1 assistant sofar, for some reason, eventhough it's not that scary, most people are rather afraid to go into the woods after dark

I try to keep the people busy rather than just letting them walk and look at things, I love interactions!