Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Anyone here has done psychodelic drugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Glurin View Post

On a more serious note, I've seen what drugs do to people IRL. I'd rather not be one of them. Also, something just seems fundamentally wrong to me if you need drugs to alter your perception. You're better off learning to do it without the mind altering chemicals.
    Without me sounding rash, there's something fundamentaly wrong about your response. I've seen what drugs do to people, they heal them. What I think you are reffering to though is narcotics and substance abuse.

I myself have tried a number of things. Might have something to do with living in an extremely international environment of people who are used to trying new and experiencing new things (mostly people who have moved countries several time, re-making new friends etc) or just down to the fact that Holland is well known for it's more tolerant view on drug usage.

I don't know about other countries though here you can enter a 'Smart-shop' and buy a bag of moist mushrooms or truffles (The law changed stating that dried mushrooms were no longer allowed to be sold over the counter, but people do that at home anyways). I think it's something to do with them being directly digestable and faster soluble when dried.

I'm an avid festival goer, and any of you who are like me will most likely have noticed people at these events who most definetly are on drugs. Drugs to enhance certain aspects of mood, feel, energy etc....quite similar i guess in relation to anti-depressants, pain killers, caffeine, just working at different levels.

I agree with you that drugs can be extremely dangerous, i've had some scary experiences myself but as with everything else there are risks that things don't turn out as pleasant or as positive as you first thought and let me tell you there are times and places for certain things to be done. Just like sex I guess, you shouldn't just go for it cos it seems like the right place...no. You need to feel right about it too otherwise, what's the point in a half-hearted attempt? ( Though being a guy, this last statement doesn't always fall true.)

I admire those who have never tried drugs though I can't say that I'm dissappointed in myself or others for that matter that I know who have tried them. They can give different perspectives on things and most of the time (again, just like everything else) are no more than a little bit of fun.

Drugs are not for everyone and we can clearly see this with addicts in rehab clinics though honestly I believe it has more to do with the personality of people than the drugs themselves.

As for the pics, number 3 looks like my brother!

PS. Just for reference, I had my experimental stage between the ages of 16 and 20. Since then and i'm now 27. I've only smoked a joint (weed not crack) or two with friends every once in a while.

Damn, that was some rant

Quote Originally Posted by CrSynth View Post
    Damn, that was some rant
    Not saying that other stuff isn't bad for you, but don't drugs (when used on a regular basis)
    kinda "burn-up" your neuron cells (destroy the brain faster than regular people)
    and become addictive (replacing certain chemical triggered events in your brain)
    and become tolerable (requiring increasing quantities to feel the buzz, up to the point where you od)

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnmaster View Post
    Not saying that other stuff isn't bad for you, but don't drugs (when used on a regular basis)
    kinda "burn-up" your neuron cells (destroy the brain faster than regular people)
    and become addictive (replacing certain chemical triggered events in your brain)
    and become tolerable (requiring increasing quantities to feel the buzz, up to the point where you od)
    That's the thing that not everyone seems to understand. You don't get a "buzz" or "kick" from all drugs.

What doesn't burn up your brain neuron/receptor cells these days? Playing the music too loud, playing sports too much (heading a football). Alcohol is still a greater problem when talking about affects on the brain.

Again, the whole increase the dosage thing to get the same effect, I strongly believe this is down to the addictive personality of the user. Yes there are drugs which are more addictive than others though this addiction only falls on certain individuals. Drugs are not for everyone and people with addictive personalities are not bad people. It's the combination of these two things that sees people, of all ages mind you, fall into substance abuse.

Too much of anything on a regular basis is detrimental to ones health.

A shame really because I've got a real sweet tooth for cake!

That's the thing that not everyone seems to understand. You don't get a "buzz" or "kick" from all drugs.

What doesn't burn up your brain neuron/receptor cells these days? Playing the music too loud, playing sports too much (heading a football). Alcohol is still a greater problem when talking about affects on the brain.

Again, the whole increase the dosage thing to get the same effect, I strongly believe this is down to the addictive personality of the user. Yes there are drugs which are more addictive than others though this addiction only falls on certain individuals. Drugs are not for everyone and people with addictive personalities are not bad people. It's the combination of these two things that sees people, of all ages mind you, fall into substance abuse.

Too much of anything on a regular basis is detrimental to ones health.

A shame really because I've got a real sweet tooth for cake!
    Well, I agree that not all people get a buzz, or different people get a different feeling.
    And ofcourse it all depends on the type of drugs used.

Drinking water on a regular basis (without overdoing it) is perfectly healthy and required.
    Eating a balanced dinner (without overdoing it) is perfectly healthy and required.
    Breathing oxygen (without overdoing it, 20% with the other reqs) is perfectly healthy and required.

Drugs in ANY quantity on a regular basis damages your body, some more than others.
    Alcohol is extremely bad, more than drugs, but for some reason completelly legal?
    But then again, 1 glass of alcohol per day isn't enough to properly damage your liver
    (brain will be slightly damaged, but much slower than drugs), and even serves as a cleaning agent for your veins.

As for the dosage, that doesn't depend on the person, it's general for all humans,
    if you do/eat/undergo something (food/labor/situation) you'll get used to it, that's just being human.

The addictive part is simply the requirement your body has to replace it's own chemical build,
    while this might work slower/softer for some people, everybody will evently succomb to this
    (when using drugs, even in small quantities, but on regular basis)

And while they don't have to be bad people, they can certainly end up in bad situations faster than regular people.

And toomuch of anything is bad, yes, but drugs is bad in any quantity, while a few sweets and music at low volume isn't.

First off, let me just remind you that this is a discussion, for discussions sake.

I'm not saying you're wrong i'm right or vice-versa. I agree with you on many points, drugs are physicaly and mentaly damaging. That is a proven fact. And, yes, people who take drugs can find themselves in bad situations.

Did you know that alcohol is behind only heroin, crack cocaine and methamphetamine for most damaging (commonly used drugs) to your body? To be honest smoking one joint of marijuana a day has less effect on you than a drink of alcohol each day. Alcohol is more toxic, more addictive, more harmful to the body, more likely to result in injuries, and more likely to lead to interpersonal violence than marijuana.

Obviously, as we have both mentioned in previous posts, it does depend on the drug in question.

You are right in saying that eventually people will succumb to the requirements their body has for the drugs administered to them, also known as physical addiction. This is commonly found in patients who are undergoing medical treatment and comes about from regular usage, regular as in daily, and as seen mentioned before in this thread, multiple times per day. Physical addiction also can come hand-in-hand with the mental addiction of taking drugs to satisfy a mental need, though once again, I believe this is highly dependant on an individuals capacity for addictiveness, the mental aspect. Most recreational drugs are not used this frequently. ( As far as I know in any case)

I will not stand up and fight for drugs though I do feel they are very ill-represented and misunderstood in the world we live in.

As for me using the sweet reference, this was merely a light-hearted attempt to brighten up what is commonly quite a dark topic
    By the way, why did you find it necessary to inform me that drinking water, eating a healthy diet and breathing oxygen are healthy and required in our lives?

Edit: I had to re-write this a second time as it didn't post the first time, and only partially saved. Hope I didn't lose too much thought in the process.

@crsnyth:
    No worries mate, discussions keep the brain active

I didn't realize alcohol was behind heroin/crack/etc, I thought in terms of addiction and effect it'd leave all drugs way behind.

Alcohol stays active in your bloodstream for almost a day, whereas most drugs effects wear off within half an hour, a few hours tops?

But I'm not entirally convinced that a little bit of marihuana every day is supposed to be less dangerous than a little bit of alcohol every day? (since your liver can reform the alcohol until it's harmless, whereas drugs dissolve until fully gone, correct me anyone?)

Injuries happen all the time, if your mind is somewhere else mostly (distracted/drunk/tripping/...)
    But you're wrong about interpersonal violence, alcohol leads to loosening your restrictions,
    if you're a person who needs a lot of "special attention in bed by someone else" than you're most likely to start seducing people,
    if you're a person who had a short fuse, or a tendency towards violence, you're most likely to pick a fight
    etc etc...

The main problem is that a lot of people with tendencies for violence drink alcohol, thus the quick assumption that alcohol causes violence.
    The same can be said about psychosis, most drugs don't make you hallucinate (contrary to what most american movies make you think)
    it's rather the people with a tendency for psychosis that will start to imagine things when the chemicals hit their brain,
    and the same here, it's mostly people with a tendency for psychosis that will start doing drugs, etc etc

Compared to alcohol and sigarettes, one does wonder why most drugs (not talking about the hard/special/heavy)
    are a taboe, while the other "killers" aren't?
    And for that matter, how can we condone the dirty and violent and lethal traffic,
    or extreme obese people who eat themselves to death?

Anyway, your turn
    Last edited by Dawnmaster; 12-06-2013 at 13:31. Reason: typo

Back once again for the renegade master,
    People damager, powers in the people,
    Back once again for the renegade master,
    People damager, with the ill behaviour!

Sorry felt that was a fitting song. :/

Now, moving on to more seriousness.

Alcohol is behind heroine, crack and methamphetamine when it comes to physical damage to the users body, however alcohol remains the number one problem when illness and death are brought into the equation.

There is one major difference between marijuana and alcohol. It is not possible to ingest fatal amounts of THC whereas with alcohol, high consumption can lead to alcohol poisoning of the blood. A condition that is known to be fatal. As for damage to the liver, yes the liver can reform after alcoholic consumption is stopped, though by this time and especially when talking of alcoholics (You don't need to be an alcoholic for this to happen, though it doesn't help) hepatitis can kick in eventually leading to alcoholic cirrhosis which permanently damages the liver leaving scar tissue in its place. This scarring stops the liver from performing vital functions. Heart disease and peptic ulcers are another problem resulting from alcohol abuse.

Marijuana on the other hand, obviously depending on how you ingest it has far less damaging effects. If smoked with tobaco, then of course the after effects/damages associated with tobaco have to be taken into account. One thing is for certain though, both alcohol and marijuana can lead to people being dependant on their consumption.

I'm not entirely sure violence through alcohol is to do with more violent people drinking, rather, it's the fact that more people drink compared to those that smoke. Also alcohol is more associated with crowded places such as bars and night clubs, it is also a drink most people consume to be more loosely active whereas marijuana makes you a little more reserved and is more often taken in more comfortable private surroundings.

It is as you say quite incredible that alcohol and cigarettes are so widely available, though there are lots of conspiracies as to why this might be. These are two of the most powerfull and wealthy industries in history, who knows exactly how powerfull they are, though they definetly get a say in many things that go on in our world.

IncGamers Member

Humans enjoy a period of excellent regeneration, so you can get away with much abuse while you're young. But the older you get, the more you need to study and obey the laws of health. My advice is take your winnings and leave.

I took many courses on drugs in university, so here we go:

Inhalants will. Huffing anything is the absolute worst drug you can do. I suppose "wall tokes" are worse, but there's no drug involved--just oxygen deprivation and lots of brain cell death.

Ecstasy will destroy serotonin receptors in your brain, leaving detectable holes.

With most other common drugs, your main worry isn't neuron death, but a slew of other problems with tissues and behaviors in general.

Yes, all true and then some. But some drugs have never caused overdose in humans; rather, users die from behaviors. Ex: jumping off buildings thinking they can fly while on acid. Barbiturates are particularly known for causing overdose. The mood-altering effects lessen over long term use leading to higher doses needed. But the reduced breathing effects don't lessen at all. You'll just keep breathing less and less the more you take. Uh oh.

There are different mechanisms of tolerance, and they affect everyone and every rodent. It's all physiological and measurable. Addiction is heavily intertwined with tolerance plus the specific drug's mechanism of action, stress, childhood trauma, and so many other things that it's difficult to cover it in broad terms.

But then again, 1 glass of alcohol per day isn't enough to properly damage your liver
    (brain will be slightly damaged, but much slower than drugs)
    Beware of memory problems (= "the end" for you). 1-2 glasses a day can lead to serious memory impairment when you go off it when you're older.

The addictive part is simply the requirement your body has to replace it's own chemical build,
    while this might work slower/softer for some people, everybody will evently succomb to this
    (when using drugs, even in small quantities, but on regular basis)
    There's quite a bit more to it, but it's a whole other thread.

And while they don't have to be bad people, they can certainly end up in bad situations faster than regular people. And too much of anything is bad, yes, but drugs is bad in any quantity, while a few sweets and music at low volume isn't.
    This is tricky to conclude because the entire reason drugs affect us is because we have natural receptors for each substance. Our bodies actually produce endogenous opioids to regulate pain using hormones. Morphine, for instance, simply mimics what we naturally produce (as nearly all drugs do). There are sometimes differences in the chemical structure to enhance a drug's effect, but it's all matching or near-matching what we naturally produce. Our brains are loaded with billions of cannabinoid receptors because we produce cannabinoids which regulate immune function, inflammatory response, memory tasks, a slew of others. So some small quantities of certain drugs simply make your body clear away what it clears away on a daily basis.

So to say any amount is unhealthy is like saying a "runner's high" is unhealthy. Runners, hockey players, and such feel an analgesic (pain numbing) and mood altering effect from their own hormones at play. Is that all bad too, because it's the exact same receptors and substances at work as certain drugs?

But it's true that long term, changes are made in neurons that lead to consequences (up regulation and down regulation of receptors, for instance). Drugs enter the bloodstream to reach their receptors, and the blood carries substances to every tissue in the body (literally every cell with few exceptions such as the lens of the eye), so you have to worry about problems you wouldn't normally think about. Right off the bat, each inhale of smoke irreparably damages the lungs. Since the chemicals in smoke go everywhere, the free radicals cause more rapid aging than normal. The whole subject is a giant mess of study. It might help to narrow down the talk to a particular drug.

I admit I drink coffee and energy drinks when I'm tired and need to e not tired. i smoke and drink to relax (cigarettes--not weed). But I try not to get drunk, and did not like being high. I don't want to lose control. it's disconcerting. I don't think i'd like mushrooms or LSD.

That said, while I do take the boring recreational drugs, I rarely take any medicine. A headache has to be pretty bad to warrant excedrin, and flus need to be terrible to get me to take anything more than a hot toddy. I used to take allergy medicine, but I'm not sure it did anything.

I have had a runners high and I don't think it's much at all like X or booze or anything I've tried. You don't feel like your body doesn't work, you feel like it's working better. You feel more sharp, more precise, lighter, stronger. It's completely different from drugs which make you feel happy, but dumber and slower. The problem with the runners high is it isn't predictable--or wasn't for me. sometimes it would happen, sometimes not. Sometimes I'd get out on one of those long bike trails where it's straight, and surrounded by trees, and i'd basically be meditating in the middle of a run--but you're not asleep, you're just tunnel visioned. Like you're seeing through a telescope. you're zoomed in on the one thing. That's not the same a a runners high. that's more like highway hypnosis.