Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

Q: Paly for party vs Ubers

heya

Im gonna make a paly to fight ubers with 2 of my freinds. They are playing a whirlwind barb and a trapassin.
    The question is what kind of build i should go for - Well obviously a smiter, but should i go 20p smite or 1p smite??
    - I only need this char for the ubers, and i wont be doing ubers solo.

We'll probably be somewhat undergeared the first times we run the ubers, so i would like some advise on the best build in this particular situation.

ty in advance

xuhao

IncGamers Member

Re: Q: Paly for party vs Ubers

The reason people advocate the 1 point smiter over a 20 point smiter is, at least primarily, that Zeal kills faster against almost everything in the game, while just one point in Smite is enough to kill ubers. It still hits every time, procs crushing blow, procs open wounds, and works with Life Tap. It is perfectly true that a zealot with one point in Smite can kill ubers (with appropriate gear for the task) about as easily as a dedicated smiter and that a dedicated smiter kills things less quickly in pretty much every area in the game. That doesn't mean a dedicated smiter is bad. It just means it's not as much super-fast cookie-cutter annihilation as a zealot.

If you're planning to use this character only for ubers, you'd probably want leveling to go quickly and easily. No point in struggling with some build that's bad early if the end result is basically the same. With that in mind, I'd think a (fanatic) zealot would be best.

The first post in this thread details why people prefer the zealot build to the dedicated smiter: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...Tristram-v-1-0

But I'll note that Smite is still a viable skill to max. If you think that swords should be decorative or that bashing things with a shield should be a full-time thing, you could run through any area and your killing speed wouldn't be that slow.
    Last edited by Namtar; 31-05-2013 at 06:09.

IncGamers Member

I know you said this will be solely for Ubers, but any pally can be made into a 1-point smiter with just a gear swap. So if you had any pally build (zealot, hammerdin, avenger, etc.) that you wanted to make, or that you already have, you might as well save yourself the trouble. For gear, all you really need is good Crushing Blow, Life Tap, and enough defensive/resists gear to get by. So you can just have a gear swap ready, and you'll be good to go.

If you really want to blow away your friends, then you could go the Fanaticism or even the pure Smiter route, but it's not necessary.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clervis View Post
    So if you had any pally build (zealot, hammerdin, avenger, etc.)
    I've never seen anyone do it with an avenger! Do they keep Conviction on or switch to another aura instead? I'd guess it wouldn't work as smoothly as with a hammerdin because there'd be no damage buff from Concentration, but I guess good enough is good enough.