Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Re: Religion being taught in schools?

In particular for the mosquitos, now that we know they aren't needed for "nature".
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnmaster View Post
    Now here's something I can fully agree with
    Heck, I'll go even further and say the next thing:
    "it would most likely be better for the world (Earth/nature) if humans wouldn't exist"

@Dredd:

Spoiler

BattleTag kestegs-1550

Lol. That was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Thanks. No idea where I lost it, but still, better than my keys.

Shaun's great. I don't like the newer episodes so much, but the first season is hilarious.
    So Vi, have you found your keychain yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnmaster View Post
    So Vi, have you found your keychain yet?
    No! I must have lost it whilst cycling, where it dangles from the keys that are in the lock when I cycle.....damnit. If it had happened at work I would have found the keychain at the bike shed. But no. Bloody sheep, running off everywhere again. Must get Bitzer in on this...

An interesting research article breaking down the different types of non-believers.

http://www.atheismresearch.com/

I look forward to larger, more thorough studies. It is nice to have some research demonstrating that just because I don't believe in a god, that doesn't make me a psycho church burner. I'm primarily a Type 5 (Non-Theist) just like I've claimed in the past. I pushed back a little more when I was a teenager, but who doesn't. The maligned Anti-Theist is the a-hole that get all the attention on the interwebs, of which there are currently none here, thankfully. It further talks about them, saying that they tend to be more recent deconverts from or in difficult social climates for atheists like conservative religious families/communities (just like I told jmervyn some months ago in another thread).

Recommended reading.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Techno I was just reading Mark Twain Essays

Twain generally avoided publishing his most heretical opinions on religion in his lifetime, and they are known from essays and stories that were published later. In the essay Three Statements of the Eighties in the 1880s, Twain stated that he believed in an almighty God, but not in any messages, revelations, holy scriptures such as the Bible, Providence, or retribution in the afterlife. He did state that "the goodness, the justice, and the mercy of God are manifested in His works," but also that "the universe is governed by strict and immutable laws," which determine "small matters," such as who dies in a pestilence. At other times he wrote or spoke in ways that contradicted a strict deist view, for example, plainly professing a belief in Providence. In some later writings in the 1890s, he was less optimistic about the goodness of God, observing that "if our Maker is all-powerful for good or evil, He is not in His right mind."
    After his death, Twain's family suppressed some of his work that was especially irreverent toward conventional religion, notably Letters from the Earth, which was not published until his daughter Clara reversed her position in 1962 in response to Soviet propaganda about the withholding.
    The anti-religious The Mysterious Stranger was published in 1916. Little Bessie, a story ridiculing Christianity, was first published in the 1972 collection Mark Twain's Fables of Man.

Most are in the public domain and free if you search a bit.

Full text of Letters from the Earth.

I high recommend them.
    Last edited by BobCox2; 20-07-2013 at 08:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
    It is nice to have some research demonstrating that just because I don't believe in a god, that doesn't make me a psycho church burner. I'm primarily a Type 5 (Non-Theist) just like I've claimed in the past. I pushed back a little more when I was a teenager, but who doesn't. The maligned Anti-Theist is the a-hole that get all the attention on the interwebs, of which there are currently none here, thankfully. It further talks about them, saying that they tend to be more recent deconverts from or in difficult social climates for atheists like conservative religious families/communities (just like I told jmervyn some months ago in another thread).
    Speaking of Clemens, he's often attributed with coining "Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics". Personality studies, while fun, are apt to miss plenty and contain truckloads of bias. All but type 5 are based on a mentality of self-importance, indicating that while many are not the raging arsehole type, your claim that there are none here hardly means that the faithless somehow means that atheism is pure and good and a reaction to maniacal Xian Raciss of the sort you're surrounded by.

People are always grasping at a way to feel smug and self-important as they take a dump on their fellow man's head. In the past that used to be the province of the organized Religus type (I still recall my boss in Indiana claiming that "Mackerel Snapper" was not a pejorative). Nowadays, that's a wholly owned franchise of atheism (as opposed to agnosticism, AKA type 5).

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    In the past that used to be the province of the organized Religious type (I still recall my boss in Indiana claiming that "Mackerel Snapper" was not a pejorative). Nowadays, that's a wholly owned franchise of atheism.
    That's actually what normal people call "moving".