Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 123 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Re: Best Of Forum Mafia WIFOA Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Malevolent View Post
    ok thanks gory.

@ phar- the smurph (if there is one) really should claim in his/her first few posts. The restriction makes it sound like you really have to eb obvious in your smurphing, so using it as an escape after posting normally cannot be done.

If a better target comes apparent then of course i would go for it, but this is my reasoning behind Day 1 (after day one it would be a bit silly IMO) smurph lynch.

1- A day without a lynch is a day where the town will get little/no information. except in very few unique circumstances it is always better for the town to try and lynch somebody.

2- On day one the town has absolutely no info. so the chances of pegging a mafioso are very slim if not impossible if the lynch occurs based on something scummy a player said. It can be very easy to find a scummy post if you look at it from all angles, and then theres a bandwagon and boom, one dead townie.

3- After our conversation the smurph role will not be claimed by anyone other than the true smurph,because they know that at least one person will be out for thier blood.

4- the true smurph can therefore only be either a vanilla townie who picked smurph, or a mafia who picked smurph, and i think it's probably about 50/50 as to what one it is. Lynching the smurph on day one when there is no other information gives a semi-decent chance of pegging a scum, without risking lynching a town power role.
    1) I used to agree with this, not anymore.
    3) This is a very bad assumption
    4) There are several poor assumptions here that I can't agree with.

So you think only the real smurph would claim smurph, and that our best chance of lynching mafia D1 is to lynch whoever claims smurph because you estimate 50% success rate?

BattleTag Mal-6857

yes, i think that because a massive target has just been planted on the smurph role, and instead of giving an easy out, claiming smurph will most likely make you more of a target.

50% success rate is fantastic for a Day 1 lynch, i mean its going to be better than a random guess.

As i said earlier i dont even think the smurph role is in the game, and if it does nothing else, out argument has created some good discussion, it would be nice to hear some other people opinions on the matter, and also awnsers to the 3 questions asked earlier.

BattleTag kestegs-1550

YAAAAARGGGGGHHHH! Nobody told me the day was starting and I smurfing missed it!

Male's obsession with the Smurf role is a bit disturbing, to say the least.

BattleTag Mal-6857

@ Kestegs- the "obssession" started with a single comment, i have just been discussing my reasoning behind it ever since. Would be nice to move on now, but i will answer any further questions that phar throws my way.

yes, i think that because a massive target has just been planted on the smurph role, and instead of giving an easy out, claiming smurph will most likely make you more of a target.

50% success rate is fantastic for a Day 1 lynch, i mean its going to be better than a random guess.

As i said earlier i dont even think the smurph role is in the game, and if it does nothing else, out argument has created some good discussion, it would be nice to hear some other people opinions on the matter, and also awnsers to the 3 questions asked earlier.
    Maybe, maybe not. That's the WIFOM and why I think you're assumptions aren't good here.

50% sounds fine and dandy but it doesn't involve scum hunting. Although D1 lynches typically involve something silly in hindsight, it's better to form connections based on interactions between players than it is to choose a role and lynch it.

Yes, I want to hear from others

Kegs, can you post w/o smurphing?

mostly unrelated I just thought of a funny addition to that role: if instead of "vote: smurfette" they had to say "smurf: gargamelle"

So let me get this straight. The smurf role is useless so a person picking late would rather have been vanilla than the smurf, ergo only a mafia would be the smurf?

Did I get all the smurf stuff straight?
    Drixx's HC Sept Progress

Quote Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
    2)I really expect to see the smurf role, tbh. I think you probably took it or are keeping the possibility of you having the role open for interpretation. You either have it or are preparing to fake it based on responses imo. I thought a lot about the role before the game started

I'll have to look at your position and think more about the WIFOM of the pick order and smurf pick.

Can you make a post without the smurf talk before the rest have made their first post?
    What would be the point of faking a smurf claim? It's basically claiming vanilla.

4- the true smurph can therefore only be either a vanilla townie who picked smurph, or a mafia who picked smurph, and i think it's probably about 50/50 as to what one it is. Lynching the smurph on day one when there is no other information gives a semi-decent chance of pegging a scum, without risking lynching a town power role.
    Good logic. That's an excellent way to minimize the info gained on day 1.
    I smell scum.

BattleTag Mal-6857

i didnt want to expend the smurph argument that far, but i wasnt going to ignore pharphis. In my eyes the smurph is a good lynch choice if no other choices present themselves.

The fact is the best way to find scum at such an early stage is to promote conversation. As nothing has happened yet that only leaves 2 avenues. 1- game mechanics and 2- random off-topic stuff.

awnsering CG's questions is a good start.

i didnt want to expend the smurph argument that far, but i wasnt going to ignore pharphis. In my eyes the smurph is a good lynch choice if no other choices present themselves.

The fact is the best way to find scum at such an early stage is to promote conversation. As nothing has happened yet that only leaves 2 avenues. 1- game mechanics and 2- random off-topic stuff.

awnsering CG's questions is a good start.
    And how does your suggestion to arbitrarily lynch the smurf help promote conversation?
    Still not convinced.