Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 123 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Re: Best Of Forum Mafia WIFOA Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin Graye View Post
    Well, I suppose somebody has to be Goryani since Goryani can't be himself this game.
    Question for you, why do you get to be Gory?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

BattleTag Mal-6857

oops read the Q's wrong, my awnser only did #1

i think we are least likely to see the smurph role in the game. it's just completely useless and if anybody has picked it i will lynch them, end of story, even if you were last pick, better to attempt a decent role that get smurph, especially when if you really wanted too you could just talk like a smurph for fun

Quote Originally Posted by Malevolent View Post
    oops read the Q's wrong, my awnser only did #1

i think we are least likely to see the smurph role in the game. it's just completely useless and if anybody has picked it i will lynch them, end of story, even if you were last pick, better to attempt a decent role that get smurph, especially when if you really wanted too you could just talk like a smurph for fun
    I disagree with all of this except for the spelling of "smurph" which I love.

smurphis?

Anyway, I think picking smurf if you're low on the list is a great idea, because as I already said people CAN fake claim it to draw heat away from themselves. It's a solid townie pick imo, and not the worst idea for mafia, either :/

Well, I suppose somebody has to be Goryani since Goryani can't be himself this game.

Some open ended questions for people to ponder:

1) Which role do you think would be most harmful to mafia in the hands of town? Which role most harmful to town in hands of mafia?

2) Which role do you least expect to smurfing see in this game? Which role do you hope won't appear in this game, and why?

3) @ DJM, SI, Pharphis: You picked middle of the pack numbers, but ended up in the top four picks. Do you feel this makes you prime TARGETS when you instead you might have meant to get a safer pick position?
    Your questions are actualy multi-part questions, couldn't you split them up? Geez.

1. Most harmful to mafia? Multiple, The Rogue, JOAT, and Athena are formidable.

Most harmful to town? Kangaxx (extra kill is always a kicker) and Forger (for the redirection shots). The strongman isn't really all that great since there isn't really many protection roles...

2. Least expect to see - Probably the smurf restriction, if it had a power added to it then maybe, but it doesn't help either side in the least. I'm not sure if I can see Old Lady Mallard in the game either (well maybe...).

Hope won't appear in the game - Fifth, cults make a real mess of things.

3. N/A because I'm not cool apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
    Can you make a post without the smurf talk before the rest have made their first post?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrotechnician View Post
    Question for you, why do you get to be Gory?
    I found the juxtaposition of him being a moderator of a WIFOA game, which historically only I have run, and myself taking over as 'Asker of the Conversation Starter Questions' to be a ironic, yet playful, scenario.

Also, maybe 'cause I just got here first.

BattleTag Mal-6857

Quote Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
    I disagree with all of this except for the spelling of "smurph" which I love.

smurphis?

Anyway, I think picking smurf if you're low on the list is a great idea, because as I already said people CAN fake claim it to draw heat away from themselves. It's a solid townie pick imo, and not the worst idea for mafia, either :/
    i'm sorry, but that reasoning is just flawed IMO, the fact is, the only way to claim smurph is to smurph talk the ENTIRE game, so it cannot be used as an escape from a lynch, as well as this, why would choosing to have a post restriction ever be a townie move, it's just plain stupid. If somebody starts smurphing on day one then they will most likely be the best choice for a lynch if they are a hiding mafia, then great! if they are a real smurph, then we didnt kill a power role. as well as that, if nobody talk smurph on day one, then it is impossible for anyone to claim it in the future.

i'm sorry, but that reasoning is just flawed IMO, the fact is, the only way to claim smurph is to smurph talk the ENTIRE game, so it cannot be used as an escape from a lynch, as well as this, why would choosing to have a post restriction ever be a townie move, it's just plain stupid. If somebody starts smurphing on day one then they will most likely be the best choice for a lynch if they are a hiding mafia, then great! if they are a real smurph, then we didnt kill a power role. as well as that, if nobody talk smurph on day one, then it is impossible for anyone to claim it in the future.
    Well, exactly on the day one talk.

Lynching smurf just because? I don't see it. I already said choosing smurph as a role isn't an awful idea because you can use it to sniff out fakers. The real smurf (if there is one) would ideally post late in the first day to prevent any fake claiming, or as I thought CG may have, subtly post as a smurph so that someone who is planning to fake it would be caught.

Who would fake claim smurph? Well i thought about it quite a bit and I see it as a decent mafia play (yes really) and a decent play by the cult/fifth role. I could also see it as a play by a town cop or something like that to stay in hiding for a few days, but I think it's better to sniff out mafia liars than give a townie PR a risky option to lie. Though, I do find it unlikely a townie would fake claim smurph unless in jest tbh.

The post restriction isn't inhibiting either a townie or mafia or neutral of any kind, either, because you can still vote and all you have to do is throw in the word smurph every few words or however you're supposed to do it.

as well as that, if nobody talk smurph on day one, then it is impossible for anyone to claim it in the future.
    I wanted to emphasize this part. This is why I've been thinking about smurph for D1, when it's most important. If someone claims smurph, then we need to consider whether they could be lying or not, but I would not lynch them on the smurph choice alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UShtvCen6So#t=02m07s

@ gory- i presume that in-depth info on the roles will not be given out?
    It's being given out but it takes time. I have to finish writing the PMs. I have to create QTs. I have to double and triple check to make sure I send the right link to the right player.

BattleTag Mal-6857

ok thanks gory.

@ phar- the smurph (if there is one) really should claim in his/her first few posts. The restriction makes it sound like you really have to eb obvious in your smurphing, so using it as an escape after posting normally cannot be done.

If a better target comes apparent then of course i would go for it, but this is my reasoning behind Day 1 (after day one it would be a bit silly IMO) smurph lynch.

1- A day without a lynch is a day where the town will get little/no information. except in very few unique circumstances it is always better for the town to try and lynch somebody.

2- On day one the town has absolutely no info. so the chances of pegging a mafioso are very slim if not impossible if the lynch occurs based on something scummy a player said. It can be very easy to find a scummy post if you look at it from all angles, and then theres a bandwagon and boom, one dead townie.

3- After our conversation the smurph role will not be claimed by anyone other than the true smurph,because they know that at least one person will be out for thier blood.

4- the true smurph can therefore only be either a vanilla townie who picked smurph, or a mafia who picked smurph, and i think it's probably about 50/50 as to what one it is. Lynching the smurph on day one when there is no other information gives a semi-decent chance of pegging a scum, without risking lynching a town power role.