Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Skellie/fishy-mancer weapons

The fishymancer guide: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...er-Version-2-1 advices one to use arm of king leoric for main weapon and beast for switch and mentions only homuncolus for shield.
    The way i read it is that arm of king leoric is only used when summoning and beast is the weapon to wear most of the time - with this is in mind wouldn't it be cheaper and just as good to use a spirit shield instead of homuncolus with arm of king leoric and wouldnt it be even better using a shrunken head with +summoning skills and +skellies and +skellie mastery?

Thanks in advance!

- Psymayn

IncGamers Member

Re: Skellie/fishy-mancer weapons

That guide is primarily for un-twinked or medium gear hardcore players. It isn't very accurate for a high end character.

Homonculus is okay. Personally I don't use it. Spirit monarch > all, and you don't need blocking.
    With magefist/trang gloves, arachs, 35' spirit you get 75 fcr which is a big help, and enables you to fill in the rest of the slots with non fcr gear, ie. shako, enigma, mara's, 2 SOJs.

Main weapon is always beast for obvious reasons. Again, leoric isn't needed on switch. Call to arms is much better. The shield for the switch can be a spirit or lidless wall or some magic shrunken head with +skills as you mentioned. I use Splendor in a +3 RS/+1 SM head. Again it doesn't really matter if your skellies are lvl 40 or 45. At high gear, this build isn't about them, it's about merc and CE, skeletons are just there to tank.

IncGamers Member

Thanks for the answer! Would the ultimate merc setup be might merc with pride then?

IncGamers Member

Nope. You need your merc to do damage, and pride doesn't have any.

My setup is eth botd warpike, G-face (cham), ebug fort. I know many people prefer infinity but I'm not one of them.
    Eth insight CV is cheap and quite effective.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbrx View Post
    Eth insight CV is cheap and quite effective.
    This. You can get the merc swinging for 2 or 3k average damage, with Amplify Damage, is more than enough to start the corpse chain. I have Guardian'd several of these characters with nothing more than a starter 'Insight' stick. Make the CV/CA/pick your favorite/first Ethereal Elite 4os Polearm when you find it. All other gear is just there for survival/comfort.

yeah, the damage of a necro's merc is more devastating than the rest of the minions put together so her eally deserves the attention

IncGamers Member

While I agree that Breath of the Dying is probably the best thing for a summoning necromancer's merc, I'll note that I've also used Obedience and it works nicely. Definitely better than Insight or Pride. I might even prefer it to Infinity (depends how highly one regards the Conviction aura).

Yes, I confirm that Obedience is a cheap start (runes and base) for your merc and an efficient one, before you can make a BOTD.

Hoto and homunculus is the best setup in my opinion. Beast is a waste.

Infinity is the best possible merc weapon, but for general magic find, insight is the most efficient in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    Hoto and homunculus is the best setup in my opinion. Beast is a waste.

Infinity is the best possible merc weapon, but for general magic find, insight is the most efficient in my experience.
    Carin Shard for life man. Hip and powerful all in one.
    Truly the Shako of weapons.