Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Gear reccomendations wanted, max survive for Frenzy Barb in Hardcore.

Hey all

So I've hit lev 61 in Hardcore with my Frenzy Barb I've nicknamed 'the Blender'-cause he purees everything on the screen.

This is with Grief equipped and Lawbringer off hand.

What I need to know is best recommendations for survivability- armor and everything else.

Currently wearing IK set.

I have most unique and set items, I am using Duress for armor.

I don't have any high runes for Fortitude or COH..I only have a Jah and Vex lying in stash which I was thinking of using for Death sword...(But I think if I can take this guy through Hell my next mission is to return to soft-core mode and start runs to get a Ber for Enigma to make my necro happy. So maybe save the Jah)

In short-any suggestions from you all as to max survivability gear wise without dropping killing speed to much would be appreciated.

Cheers all

Re: Gear reccomendations wanted, max survive for Frenzy Barb in Hardcore.

Honestly, Barbs are pretty darn hard to kill without going to great lengths to improve their survivability, even minus a shield. With high levels of shout and battle orders, coupled with all the passive skills, you should be fairly tough to bring down for most enemies. Using War Cry or Howl is also recommended to keep the mobs under control.

As far as gear, get your PDR up high (Verdungo's, Rockstopper, and perhaps even Treachery, CoA, Vampire Gaze, Dracul's Grasp, etc.), make sure your resists are all maxed, and pump every last stat point into Vit. With Life over 4k and decent PDR, Def near 15K, and all the crowd control skills you really won't need to worry about dying (watch out for Tomb Vipers though). Killing speed is usually what non whirlwind Barbs struggle the most with, so honestly I would focus on simply covering the basics and then getting your damage as potent as possible.

IncGamers Member

Thanks Japanzaman,

yeah i was going to equip the usual suspects like dracs, goreriders etc then I wondered should I be wearing Leviathan? And laying of hands for damage or safety gloves...
    As far as hard to kill, I only need to die once and it's 'game over man' (said in whiny hick's voice) so I welcome suggestions on optimum gear specifically for hc.

Cheers

IncGamers Member

Grief+lawbringer? That rocks man. Slice down undeads with sanctuary, slow down everything with decrep, just hold down RMB and win the game. Put one point in taunt and warcry though, for tough situations, learn to love 'em.
    And you don't need fortitude or enigma to beat the game. Stick with duress or lionheart or even better 5 part IK comes with considerable bonuses.

IncGamers Member

Oh yeah, his killspeed is like a lawnmower. But I've still had some near death situations-mainly with being cursed...that's why I was thinking maybe I should build more of a PDR build.

I'm in Hell now.....come so far..don't want to die...
    It looks like I'm missing IK Soul cage..I had it once, prob lost it in a comp crash couple of years back. i do have Gladiators Bane, iron pelt, Leviathan...
    Maybe I should ditch Guillaumes Helmet for something else with leach like Vampire gaze?

IncGamers Member

Dammit! Just died.

Last attempt with Necro Summoner for hardcore, then if I fail I'll follow Nightfish's advice.

Thanks for the thoughts re gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Of Mu Mu View Post
    Dammit! Just died.
    The beauty and curse of Diablo. It will punish you mercilessly for every mistake you make. Let me guess... a unique pack of demon archers?

IncGamers Member

Yup. Just as I was thinking of swapping out gear for more PDR too.

Man, I just cant crack hardcore atm....it does give me a greater appreciation for those that have done it though.

IncGamers Member

You died with grief+lawbringer frenzy barb?
    I don't want to say that you're just bad, but I think you need to finish a couple dozen SC characters first and understand how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Of Mu Mu View Post
    if I fail I'll follow Nightfish's advice.
    Famous last words.

Anyway, from the sound of it I would give you pretty long odds to beat hell with a melee build. Here's why: The things you are trying to rely on to keep you safe are only going to work *most* of the time. Most of the time is not good enough for HC. It's kinda funny how the three things you list are my top 3 for things I would never make a high priorty to get in HC.

1) %DR.
    I would never get this explicitly, because this always fails you when you need it the most. Namely when you are under the effects of amplify damage. Suddenly you take 3 times as much damage as you've grown used to and while you still take only three quarters of the damage you would without %DR that increase is very jarring and you might find yourself going "wtf just happened?".

2) Leech
    I don't go out of my way to avoid having leech, but neither do I go out of my way to *have* leech. Again, it's nice when it works, but it doesn't always work so I chose never to rely on it in the first place so I don't have to change my behavior when I'm suddenly facing unleechables.

3) Dracul's

Yes, yes, I know how good life tap is. Problem is, you gotta trigger it first. Also, those are lvl76 required. I don't need them to survive and if I started relying on them I'd probably die sooner or later when for some reason it takes them 10 swings to trigger.

I know there's more than one way to skin a cat but there's also a reason why I've lost fewer than 5 characters in getting 52-ish guardians. And it's not because I'm super patient, let me tell you that.

Instead of trying to brute force your way through, I highly suggest taking a look at crowd control. On my barbs, for example, I always made sure I had howl's skill level plus my character level > 88 by the time I entered hell. Yea, okay, maybe I'm missing out on 10 points in some random damage synergy, but so what? Personally I never cared about winning the LCS damage numbers pissing contest. All I cared about was living to see baal go down in HC hell and getting there with relative ease.