Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Ancient Greece

Re: Ancient Greece

Don't you hate it when you get an idea, and then realise someone else had that too but earlier in the timeline rendering your idea useless?

I may have said it before - or maybe just to Leo? - I used to write. Not good enough to get published, but good enough to enjoy writing. Despite no readers perhaps.

I gave up several times and never finished anything. (There's still bits and bobs of an extensive fantasy novel lying about). And then I had a brilliant idea - Ancient Greece gods children's living in these modern times.
    I started working on that, even made a main character. This was back in the days I could still draw, so here:
    medusa.jpg
    And then I returned my books to the library, and saw on their table for young readers Percy Jackson, by Rick Riordan. I read the blurb and my heart sank.
    I read the first book. It was bloody brilliant. I threw out my silly ideas, as I'd never get anywhere with it and certainly not now, and just finished reading his series (all parts brilliant).
    I haven't written since.
    I was already losing my ability to draw. It's depressing now that I"m ill, I can't even draw anymore - it's the thing I've always loved most.

But I'm getting longwinded.
    In the Percy Jackson series, the Greece gods are still very much alive, having children with humans. Percy's father is Poseidon, but if you had an Ancient Greece God for a parent, who would it be, and what does it say about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    The trick to the upside down text is this:
    http://www.upsidedowntext.com/
    ¡¡¡ǝɯ ɥƃnoɹɥʇ ƃuıʍolɟ ɹǝʍod ǝɥʇ lǝǝɟ I ¡¡¡SSSSƎƎƎƎ⅄ ˙˙˙sssǝǝǝ⅄

Don't you hate it when you get an idea, and then realise someone else had that too but earlier in the timeline rendering your idea useless?

I may have said it before - or maybe just to Leo? - I used to write. Not good enough to get published, but good enough to enjoy writing. Despite no readers perhaps.

I gave up several times and never finished anything. (There's still bits and bobs of an extensive fantasy novel lying about). And then I had a brilliant idea - Ancient Greece gods children's living in these modern times.
    I started working on that, even made a main character. This was back in the days I could still draw, so here:
    medusa.jpg
    And then I returned my books to the library, and saw on their table for young readers Percy Jackson, by Rick Riordan. I read the blurb and my heart sank.
    I read the first book. It was bloody brilliant. I threw out my silly ideas, as I'd never get anywhere with it and certainly not now, and just finished reading his series (all parts brilliant).
    I haven't written since.
    I was already losing my ability to draw. It's depressing now that I"m ill, I can't even draw anymore - it's the thing I've always loved most.
    O.
    M.
    G.
    !.

This has happened to me SOOO much!! I've had a fantasy game world/setting (I've even toyed with the idea of writing a novel from it) I started loosely working on many years ago. In the last few years though, I keep finding thing after thing after thing has already been done before and it's really discouraging. Some of them are things that had already been done, I was just unaware of it. Let's look at the highlights:

- A race of talking, intelligent undead? WoW did it.
    - Magic got out of hand and a group of magically-inclined warriors disrupted it and now regulate users of magic? Dragon Age did it.
    - ^ Said group of warriors combine steel with wizardry to combat wizards? D&D 4E did it, along with probably every other game out there.
    - The gods have abandoned the world, but a new, evil power is performing miracles and winning followers? Dragonlance did it. (just now reading the War of Souls trilogy)
    - ...among many other I can't remember at the moment...

It wouldn't be so bad if those weren't THE CORE BASIS OF THE WHOLE DAMN THING!!

But I'm getting longwinded.
    In the Percy Jackson series, the Greece gods are still very much alive, having children with humans. Percy's father is Poseidon, but if you had an Ancient Greece God for a parent, who would it be, and what does it say about you?
    Thor! Oh, wait, wrong restaurant*.

Hephaestus, the god of skill and craft (similar to Thor ). Then I could make all the battle gear I could ever desire!! Mwahahaha!!

(* when I was a kid, I would purposefully order the wrong thing from fast food places, like a Big Mac from Burger King, because my dad thought it was HILARIOUS! )

BattleTag TheNix-6417

Back in the mid 80s, back before I realised the my writing was crap, I had the outline and the first few chapters of a story written. One afternoon I went to see the movie Legend and I was so pissed off, the bastards had stolen a my story.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNix View Post
    Back in the mid 80s, back before I realised the my writing was crap, I had the outline and the first few chapters of a story written. One afternoon I went to see the movie Legend and I was so pissed off, the bastards had stolen a my story.
    I like so many am a reader.

I understand My limitations and only type on INTERNET forums.

I do Create. I'm proud of that.

Verbally I would defeat most of you. (I'm a great storyteller but I have to see and respond to the Audience - I have acted on stage and done well)

Writing prose is beyond my skill set though I do well in the Pun, Joke or Limerick arena.

I so love the Art that I don't act as a fan or critic in public for fear of killing the Goose.

But I read everything I can lay my hands on, and "will take old papers used to wrap fish before I will do without" reading
    Last edited by BobCox2; 08-06-2013 at 09:38.

Did I just hear Jmervyn call himself a nasty bore? The verb, as far as I'm considered, means turning a topic into something containg large, long posts, with lots of quotes and links, and unless I slipped up, on every occassion I mention that the others involved do this as much as Jmervyn does, and with equal vigour.
    Actually, I was pointing out that you were in high dudgeon about the inference of you being disrespectful, after an hilarious case of precisely that.

But I'm really not counting. I couldn't handle the numbers if I were.

Still, Ancient Greece <> fantasy writing attempts. I tried for a while but I don't have enough time, plus it was before tools like Freemind or Inspiration so it wound up being very disorganized.

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
    ¡¡¡ǝɯ ɥƃnoɹɥʇ ƃuıʍolɟ ɹǝʍod ǝɥʇ lǝǝɟ I ¡¡¡SSSSƎƎƎƎ⅄ ˙˙˙sssǝǝǝ⅄

O.
    M.
    G.
    !.

This has happened to me SOOO much!! I've had a fantasy game world/setting (I've even toyed with the idea of writing a novel from it) I started loosely working on many years ago. In the last few years though, I keep finding thing after thing after thing has already been done before and it's really discouraging. Some of them are things that had already been done, I was just unaware of it. Let's look at the highlights:

- A race of talking, intelligent undead? WoW did it.
    - Magic got out of hand and a group of magically-inclined warriors disrupted it and now regulate users of magic? Dragon Age did it.
    - ^ Said group of warriors combine steel with wizardry to combat wizards? D&D 4E did it, along with probably every other game out there.
    - The gods have abandoned the world, but a new, evil power is performing miracles and winning followers? Dragonlance did it. (just now reading the War of Souls trilogy)
    - ...among many other I can't remember at the moment...

It wouldn't be so bad if those weren't THE CORE BASIS OF THE WHOLE DAMN THING!!

Thor! Oh, wait, wrong restaurant*.

Hephaestus, the god of skill and craft (similar to Thor ). Then I could make all the battle gear I could ever desire!! Mwahahaha!!

(* when I was a kid, I would purposefully order the wrong thing from fast food places, like a Big Mac from Burger King, because my dad thought it was HILARIOUS! )

So not Apollo to write better original stories then?

Btw it's even more fun - well, is it? - ordering the right burger in the right restaurant. Genuine conversation I had at a MacDonalds, some years ago:
    "Can I have a cheeseburger please?"
    "I'm sorry, we don't have fishburgers."
    "I'm sorry to hear that but can I have a cheeseburger?"
    "We don't have fishburgers, I just told you."
    "Damn right, which is why I'd like a cheeseburger please."

In the end I had to ask a tourist to order it for me - and they understood him! They don't understand locals anymore it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    I like so many am a reader.

I understand My limitations and only type on INTERNET forums.

I do Create. I'm proud of that.

Verbally I would defeat most of you. (I'm a great storyteller but I have to see and respond to the Audience - I have acted on stage and done well)

Writing prose is beyond my skill set though I do well in the Pun, Joke or Limerick arena.

I so love the Art that I don't act as a fan or critic in public for fear of killing the Goose.

But I read everything I can lay my hands on, and "will take old papers used to wrap fish before I will do without" reading
    Well you're good.
    I'm a slow reader with a poor memory, a reasonable skill to tell stories but far from creative or original - you know more than anyone where I nick my jokes from.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Thank you Vivi.
    I value your opinion, don't think you don't make a difference here.

Apollo skipped me I'm afraid, I'm more in line with those that follow Hephaestus or Vulcan, and have to content themselves with enjoying the foreplay of Athena and her handmaidens.

Always thought that Hephaestus, being married to Aphrodite, would get foreplay with her, but she was having it off with Ares most of the time, which seems a conflict in itself.
    Given that I do think I don't make much difference here or anywhere in this world - I'm supposed to be in the highlight of my life and I'm just always sick, always, with no sign of improvement - I'd probably be of the lesser gods.
    Or Hestia, given I'm homebound so much.

I was always partial to Hep though "Vulcan" sounds so much better. He always seemed to get short shrift, I thought.