Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancient Greece

IncGamers Member wolfofbenjamin's Avatar

Re: Ancient Greece

A troop of more than one PHALANX are called PHALANGES. That's what we name our finger bones. And no wonder; they resemble the lancing PHALANX position when we spread out our fingers.
    Last edited by wolfofbenjamin; 01-06-2013 at 07:21.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Meh. if your talking old style

Scipio Africanus

nuf said!

You can defeat a phalanx by releasing a stampede of mice! lol XD ... This will cause panic among unsuspecting soldiers within the formation and send them in dissaray! XD

End of Story!

Suppose you established a new city on Ancient Greek soil; what would you name it (specify the Ancient Greek province)?
    Last edited by wolfofbenjamin; 01-06-2013 at 07:24.

BattleTag TheNix-6417

Maybe not mice, perhaps rabid rats?

Why rabid rats? That's too sadistic... mental factors like fear can do the trick. It's hard to even gather pestilential rats... and I bet they never even inhabited cities until Rome built her aqueducts.

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

the real way the Phalanx became obsolete was through countering it with more mobile units

over time the discipline and training of the troops declined, they became weaker on the flanks and they lacked the coordination and mobility to deal with skirmishing flankers

the discipline and coordination of the phalanx relied upon instilling in its members that discipline and coordination would make them invulnerable and once this began to be countered they lost that sense and the phalanx became just a bunch of heavy infantry with arrows sticking out of their corpses

lighter infantry were also less expensive to train and equip, it was easier to build a unit that could undo a phalanx than to try and counter it with a phalanx of your own

You could throw a hornet's nest in the middle and send them scattering. Also, those rolling balls of fire like in the movie troy. I bet they really used stuff like that. It's simple and would scare the crap outta me.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

That only works in movies. A hornet nest is neutralized by throwing a blanket over it. Burning balls of straw, brushes etc. can be warded off with the spears and you can only use them when fighting downhill.

In Rome Total War, phalanx units are excellent versus cavalry charges, as long as you keep the phalanx between the unit and the horses. However, you can outflank them rather easily because a unit is slow in phalanx formation and the AI can be confused rather easily. There are a few scenarios in which a phalanx is deadly (or Swiss pikemen), e.g. guarding a bridge or town gate from enemies with weaker or less missile power and artillery.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

any kind of fixed formation with pointy stuff sticking out will deter horses, they don't like charging into big pointy things, its the same reason armies fixed bayonets and formed square two thousand years later

A phalanx normally would only be defeated in open battle through maneuver, which is how the rudimentary concept of flanking really came into being. You would want to avoid the long, pointy bits, so eventually units in a one-on-one phalanx battle would rotate. Maneuver was the weakness inherent in trying to carry a longer pointy bit (sarisa) than the other guy; you get kind of worn out trying to hit someone with a 6 meter long sharpened pole.

Since we (as in you guys) inject it into every other feckin' thread, why not here? I've read more than once that despite all the pro-queer propaganda (and not from the normally risible Conservapedia), the Greeks (and later the Romans) were remarkably intolerant towards homosexuality in the context of social structure. In other words, a lot of what we now consider Greek normality was actually anti-Greek propaganda spread to discredit their historical significance.

Pederasty and such was apparently considered great for fun and games, particularly of the student-teacher variety, but upon achieving adulthood you damn well better settle down with a stodgy wife (who was barely let out-of-doors) and do some spawning, Pronto. Kind of reminds me of "modern" Middle Eastern Islam, where pederasty is commonplace and surreptitiously condoned, but open queer behavior is death penalty material.