Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strategy for getting particular +Skills on items?

Hi guys,

I'm coming back to D2 after a very long break and I have a few questions.

I've noticed that in the lower levels in normal, you tend to find items with lots of +skill attributes for skills that are similarly low down in the skill tree. For example, its easy to find a necromancers wand with +1 to RS but once you get to the later acts I only seem to find +skills for the skills which are higher up the skill tree.

What I'm wanting to know is: If I am wanting to start a Fishmancer character, should I use him to do a bit of 'farming' on low level bosses or areas on normal to try to get a wand with like +3 RS and +3 Skeleton Mastery? Or am I wasting my time and should I just try and blow through the areas quickly?

Thanks for reading

Re: Strategy for getting particular +Skills on items?

Easy! Shop for nonmagical wands at Drognans in a2. Or Akara in a1 if youre not there yet.

Iirc it also depends on your character level,
    you'll only find items in act1&2 shops that are maximum 1 (or 2?) level higher than your character.

As you progress in levels,
    you'll "unlock" more possible skills to be shopped (although the limit in act1 normal is set to 18? or all 30?)

So if you want the best chance of a wand with skelly mastery and raise, character lvl1-4 (or 5?) is your best bet.

If you want a wand with skelly mastery, raise and mage, character lvl12-17 is your best bet,
    although in this case you should really aim for lvl15, since that can include the mod "+1 summon skills",
    as where lvls 16 and 17 might give you chance for more other mods you don't need.

Iirc, you will only be able to find non magical items (but also magical) until you hit lvl 25. (A1-A2 normal)

Quote Originally Posted by Archone View Post
    Easy! Shop for nonmagical wands at Drognans in a2. Or Akara in a1 if youre not there yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnmaster View Post
    Iirc it also depends on your character level,
    you'll only find items in act1&2 shops that are maximum 1 (or 2?) level higher than your character.

As you progress in levels,
    you'll "unlock" more possible skills to be shopped (although the limit in act1 normal is set to 18? or all 30?)

So if you want the best chance of a wand with skelly mastery and raise, character lvl1-4 (or 5?) is your best bet.

If you want a wand with skelly mastery, raise and mage, character lvl12-17 is your best bet,
    although in this case you should really aim for lvl15, since that can include the mod "+1 summon skills",
    as where lvls 16 and 17 might give you chance for more other mods you don't need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archone View Post
    Iirc, you will only be able to find non magical items (but also magical) until you hit lvl 25. (A1-A2 normal)
    Ah OK good idea. So I should wait till lvl 15 then start shopping at Akara and Drognan to try and find +RS,SM & +1 to Summoning tree?

So when my character reaches say lvl 35, and I'm MF'ing in A5 or shopping in A4, why is it that I never come across wands with +skills that are low down the skill tree?

Is it actually possible to find these as in the odds of finding those lower +skills are added into the mix with all the others? Or is actually just not possible to find the lower skills on items because perhaps the monsters only drop things with an item level over what is needed to produce these lower +skills?

I hope I'm making sense, its quite difficult to explain. Thank you both very much for helping out though, its greatly appreciated So excited to be jumping back into D2 again. If you ever wanna get that feeling of noob-rush from D2 again, just dont play it for 5 years then come back!

Youre welcome ofc!

I think its harder to get wands with lower skills at higher levels, because there is a larger pool of items. But the shopped items will more likely have skills close to your level, iirc there is!

Also, due to the extreme variety of mods possible on an item, it will take you a long long time before you'll get the ones you really really want.

I've found a few +3 raise skeleton / +2 skeleton mastery or +3 raise skeletal mage / +2 skeleton mastery wands, and even a +3 raise skeleton / +3 raise skeletal mage once!
    But it takes forever to move from town to a waypoint and back until the shop spawns whatever you want.

Best one I got was a +1 summon skills / +2 (or 3?) raise skeletal mage / +1 skeleton mastery / +1 dim vision (iirc)

IncGamers Member

Too bad you can't shop for necro shields. I'm still looking for that +3RS/+3SM 2os shield for splendor.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppis View Post
    Too bad you can't shop for necro shields. I'm still looking for that +3RS/+3SM 2os shield for splendor.
    Gl, ive been looking for about 3 ladders now!

I once found a 3bonespear/3decrepify/3revive wand w 2os!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppis View Post
    If Blizzard should add 1 thing to Diablo LOD, it should be the possibility of "opening" character only items.

You can make runewords in them, but you can't buy/gamble them, and crafting would be wicked ^^