Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Thread: Patriarch WWF

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag thefranklin-1107

Patriarch WWF

Patriarch WWF

As most of my Diablo 2 projects these days, this character has been in the works unfinished for a year or so. I always liked wolfbarbs (had one the last Bnet ladder I played two years ago or so), and since 1.13 made it so much easier to level I had to handicap myself a bit to not feel so bad compared to the people who normal attacked to 79 or put up with the ww level bug with a bloodletter.

So My Brilliant Idea (TM) was to have a hybrid ww-wolf barb, that I dubbed WWF, which stands for Whirling Wild wolF. I didn't realize that wolf did not start with F until I started typing this out, yeah its like that. I was tired when I had the idea and named it. I did have a high damage ribcracker and the runes to up it, and then promptly found a 299% ribcracker the next day. Oh well, this will do.

GoMule Data
    Spoiler

Skills
    Spoiler

Final stats after hitting level 84 (downed Baal at 83)
    WW Mode
    WW Mode (Berserk)
    Wolf Mode

Gear Readouts
    Spoiler

Notes from my Play (aka random dumb thoughts, and I apparently forgot Ribcracker had fhr on it)
    Spoiler

Synopsis:

Hell was easy when no gloams/death lords/PI's spawn in the last two acts.

1. Wolfbarbs are fun, but a stationary single target attack is something the barb already has. What the barb does not have is a stationary multi-target attack, so change wolfhowl to fury and then we would be talking. And getting to level 79 to take of Arreats hurts inside quite a lot.
    2. WW barbs are too strong, going into Wolf Mode reds out out all of the barbs utility (Berserk, Leap, repositioning with WW, etc). If I had the gear to withstand whirling through tough stuff, I would not have been in Wolf Mode as much.
    3. Wolf barbs are great if you can one shot everything. Having to 3-4 shot every single monster on the screen is annoying, which is why I took hell at P1. I am sure it would have been easy enough to up it to 3 or 5, I just didn't have the patience. Running around with right click held down and just mowing down monsters is satisfying. But, if I could do that in Wolf Mode, I could probably do it in WW Mode, but with less style.
    4. Teleport is OP. Not that I have enigma, but I did most of hell without a merc because he was lagging behind looking at the paintings on the walls while I was tanking dangerous boss packs. When I was down to about 2 minions, then he might come help if he felt like it. The ability to Tele is something that you also give up in Wolf Mode.
    5. I used angelic's most of the way, but switched it out for damage (highlords) and mana leach once I put wolfhowl on. Eww at the AR, but it was managable. I used Mav's Belt for mana leach at times, and not a bad tradeoff. Extra FRW is always welcome. Being the hybrid I was, I did need mana leach so I could whirl.
    6. I have 69 leftover points and they all might go to strength for damage. My life was fine where it was, maybe a tad on the short side.
    7. I am not a huge fan of prebuffing. I have a demon's limb in stash, and it raised my AR a little bit. I would rather have a weapon switch with some utility than just some stat sticks. I do have a Mang Song's to use when I hit level 85, that will be fun as a prebuff I guess. Actual, it is 82 I will xfer that on!

Future Plans:
    1. Figure out out better gear for this guy while destroying the council. I could bring in a 1.07 Arkaines or Glad Bane, or shoot for Fort or Enigma, there are a lot of options. Shaftstop was just the best I had laying around. I also need to shore up the charms.
    2. Council
    3. Baal
    4. Level
    5. Make Lawbringer has an undead PI solution. That was the original plan, and I have a Shael Shael Heaven's Light ready to go (same mastery as Ribcracker). I really wish I had waited and quested properly, but I did run by a lot of ghosts and/or resorted to using Berserk.
    6. I have a very close Ancient Tunnels map, so I might try that once I get Lawbringer.
    7. Sadly, grief, on average, does the same damage per hit and does it quicker.

Thanks for Reading (the ramblings of an idiot)!

Re: Patriarch WWF

Congrats! I've never made either of these barbs, so it's still interesting to read about how they work.

<3 ribbeh.

Also mang's for BO buff? Why not 2x warcry sticks?

Oh man, I made a WoflBarb and a WW Barb using the Ribbie and they were both an absolute insane blast, so I'm sure this was extra win.

That said, no points in Battle Cry makes me sad, as imo that's one of the best skills in the game (I'm not a big Dim Vision/CoS kinda guy, and sacrificing damage for AR rarely fits into my plans so...) and synergizing Berserk instead of putting points in Find Item doesn't make a lot of sense to me in general, especially as a runner. Berserk will rarely be used and when it is, it's generally strong enough as a one point wonder whereas getting Find Item up to ~50% isn't that huge of a skill investment and adds a ton to your item finds over the long haul.

You might want a touch more life, but yeah you can probably dump the majority of those points into strength and be just fine. More damage = more leech, after all. If you intend serious Baal running, though, some life charms or a few more Vitality points might be nice - some of those packs/pairings of packs can be insane. For just running the Council, you probably want to drop the Ravenfrost, as Torc (IIRC) always has CI and being chilled only slows move speed, not attack speed, with WW so whirling through the pack will be deadly. Get a map where they clump up near or to the side of the Durance entrance (most important thing being they all spawn in the top part, really), pop in the Durance when you run up the steps, then pop back out to bring the merc to you. CBF might be worth it if you have a map where they're spread out, but at the same time I'd consider a map where they're spread out a map in need of rerolling, but I guess it depends on your other plans/how long you intend to run the council.

All in all, though, two of the coolest character types in the game fused together into one, kitted well and using one of the best weapons in the game makes for one great patriarch, congrats!

@pharphis: Mang's has + all skills, which helps with lycanthropy/werewolf, too. You'd need dual HotOs to beat it for total build utility here.

Edit: also @ pharphis: Make a Ribbie Barb, you must. Maybe not immediately (though you wouldn't regret it...) but eventually! Whatever build you go with, they're great fun (well, I mean, it wouldn't make a great thrower ... or a great singer ... or a great Frenzier ... but, well, you know what I mean.)

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag thefranklin-1107

Thanks for the responses! WW barb and Wolfbarb are definitely two of the coolest, and upp'ed ribby is surprisingly effective for how easy they are to find.

I relied heavily on Battlecry on my 1.07 barb, and I don't feel it is really needed for this character, especially with WW. Range is short, and by the time you cast it you could have already whacked them to death anyways. And then the merc will overwrite it anyways. If it had the range of BO, then sure you could cast it on a pack and whirl through it. If I was playing at higher than p1, maybe.

And the extra points into Shout are more for defense than synergizing Berserk. I will need to put more in find item, but I will probably respec to pure wolf for some trav running to do that, hence I kept on CBF.

IncGamers Member

Cool Pat!
    I don't agree with your views on fury vs feral rage. Fury is a terrible melee skill, feral is much better. Changing wolfhowl from feral rage to fury would be a good way to ruin the entire build.

And while ribby is ok I think oath ethereal 2H sword is better (cheap too ), and doesn't look some kind of girly toy.