Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: HC WD's Who do you voodoo? (How are you doing?)

Quote Originally Posted by Grishok View Post
    Close call :o

Always risky to use a defensive skill offensively if you get my drift. I stopped using serenity that way a long time ago, now only using it as the get-out of jail skill.
    That is pretty much the lesson i learned, almost the hard way

BattleTag Hippotion-2165

I had lag spikes over the last few days so I decided to level a WD instead of playing my monk/DH.

Had a nice vitality/int/avg dmg hellfire so I started my first WD (FreakyFrog) and went through A1 solo MP7-10 to get a feel of the character. She sounds like the dark witch from Pirates of the Caribbean hehe.

At 30 I asked a friend to give me the big D waypoint, afterwards we (he ) did Azmo NM also to give me keeps wp. He wanted to help further so we went Big D NM also. That was a mistake

In the 2nd stage, vs. your clones/shadows, they got 1 hit in on me, brought me down to 5% life woooops! Managed to survive the rest so no harm done but that would have been a pity as I'm wearing 2 RS rubies and cain's set. I did select Spirit Vessel at 30 and I think it didn't proc though.

I kinda like the WD so far, having the pets (dogs+garg) out for safety but prefer to dish out the DPS myself. I've gathered some mana regen equipment which (almost) lets me spam bats with the leech rune, elites drop over in seconds So much more DPS than posion dart of firebomb. Using Spirit Walk all the time for quick movement speed, pretty neat skill.

At lvl 33 currently after a few hours so I hope the remaining journey to 60 remains smooth. Absolutely broke (even in debt by a decent sum ) so no funds to get some inferno starter gear so I will have to do some farming with the monk before I can make her into a decent little WD.

BattleTag Hippotion-2165

Quote Originally Posted by jrsilva View Post
    Well I finally found a build that convinces me:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/P.../hero/28819479

For normal mobs I just spirit walk into them, the soul harvest them and use bats quick to finish what's left. Fire Bomb for when I want to be just sitting back from afar. Works really well :-)
    Ha, I'm reading through this thread because I just made 60 with my first WD. Didn't read a thing about them before and this is actually exactly what I've used to level

What I've learned so far is:
    - MANA is a GOOD thing
    - IAS is a BAD thing
    - Like: bats (vampire leech rock, but clouds own DPS wise), spirit walk (yeah!), soul harvest (they go
    POOF!), dogs (reasoanbly handy meat shields), fireball bounce (just so funny to watch, can flick it from afar and watch it bounce even further). Acid rain seems handy, but I feel I need to be over-DPSed for it to become awesome.
    - Don't like: bears (clumsy skill...)
    - Haven't tried: toads, wall of zombies and some more
    - Passives: fortitude, mana regen, spirit vessel

I think this thread is underposted compared to the other classes, hope to see some more in depth gear and skill observations in the near future

Still broke, so not sure how to go about getting some inferno starter gear, I hear people talk about Zuni but that's pretty expensive I thought.

PS Technically my 2nd WD, since the lvl 33 mentioned above got killed in keeps mp6 during an unfortunate coming together of my beloved WD and some lunatics under influence of a giant lag spike hehe.
    Last edited by Grishok; 14-10-2013 at 12:40.

This thread is very nice...

My wd was getting dust since... (don't remember). I was playing it just for the achievements, since SC WD almost never dies (inferno diablo was a problem, but it was 1.03 iirc). (TBH, I don't like wizards and DH. I don't play monks because, well dodge...). Somehow, I kinda enjoy the pace of HC WD.

Right now I'm at lvl 41, fearing a not so distant Belial (I'm at NM oasis). I'll try a rain of toads build, right now I'm doing the acid rain thing.

Where are the chokepoints and the places to take extra care, besides act 4 hell? I vaguely remember some Belial and Cydaea issues, but that was on the times of yore - and the near impossible Diablo fight on inferno (aiming splinters on the map)...

BattleTag Gus-2965

Cydaea is generally easy. You should just pay attention to the little spiders that spawns from time to time (with enough AOE skills, it is ok). Belial is ok if you know well its patterns of attack. But the moment where he put some acid pools almost everywhere is always a bit scary. You should save your "Spirit Walk" for this moment.
    Personnally, I fear more Iskatu (beginning of act IV) and Rakanoth, as a distance character.

Anyway, the danger comes more from the unexpected behavior of normal or blue/yellow monsters. The suicidal mobs that runs at you and explode are not so dangerous for the WD: they are blocked by your pets and you can also destroy them with a single "Acid Rain", that you can launch before entering a room. The most annoying/dangerous mobs for me are the Phasebeast: they hit hard and, as they teleport, it is difficult to avoid them. The heralds of pestilence are also rather nasty (although you can take them from a distance).

I just started hardcore and I had no problem up to the beginning of inferno. Normal and Nightmare modes were easy as I was overequiped using some weapons with socket and flawless square ruby.
    For Hell, I bought a weapon with reduced level that had around 600 DPS (it cost me around 200k). Still, there was some close calls as the rest of the equipment is not that good at level 50+. So I stayed in act 3 until I reached level 60 to be able to equip some level 60 equipement. This made the act 4 of Hell very simple.
    I do not think I would have succeeded to reach inferno without that.

BattleTag Hippotion-2165

Slapped on some vit crafts and friends gave me Manu's weapon & offhand, Zuni helm and firewalkers.

Ideally I'm looking to buy Zuni chest, boots and pox but they ain't cheap I see, will have to wait until I finally sell something
    Any recommendations on good trousers for a WD?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/H.../hero/31900347

PS I have awesome vit/int gloves for the WD, but they are BiS for my monk also, so they will remain on my monk until I get a comparable pair for him

BattleTag Rankil-1323

- Don't like: bears (clumsy skill...)
    - Haven't tried: toads, wall of zombies and some more
    - Passives: fortitude, mana regen, spirit vessel
    If you don't know, you can place your back to a wall and when you cast bears they will go out in front of you. When you get used to some pathing tweaks, you can get them to all go in a single file line as well.

Slapped on some vit crafts and friends gave me Manu's weapon & offhand, Zuni helm and firewalkers.

Ideally I'm looking to buy Zuni chest, boots and pox but they ain't cheap I see, will have to wait until I finally sell something
    Any recommendations on good trousers for a WD?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/H.../hero/31900347

PS I have awesome vit/int gloves for the WD, but they are BiS for my monk also, so they will remain on my monk until I get a comparable pair for him
    If you can't find a decent int/vit/resist/socket pants, picking up a Blackthorne's Jousting Mail are another good choice if you can snag one with high vitality on it. That's pretty much it for pants. As you said earlier, IAS isn't a stat to look for on a WD. But once you get pretty close to maxing out your Crit/CHD and int rolls, the only way to get more damage is to get IAS gear. Once you get some better damage to give you good life steal and more EHP (shoot for around 700 resist all/60k HP) you can drop jungle fortitude and spiritual attunement and pick up Grave Injustice and Gruesome Feast. At that time, I would suggest a Thing of the Deep, which would fit nice with your character's name.

BattleTag Hippotion-2165

Quote Originally Posted by Rankil View Post
    If you can't find a decent int/vit/resist/socket pants, picking up a Blackthorne's Jousting Mail are another good choice if you can snag one with high vitality on it. That's pretty much it for pants. As you said earlier, IAS isn't a stat to look for on a WD. But once you get pretty close to maxing out your Crit/CHD and int rolls, the only way to get more damage is to get IAS gear. Once you get some better damage to give you good life steal and more EHP (shoot for around 700 resist all/60k HP) you can drop jungle fortitude and spiritual attunement and pick up Grave Injustice and Gruesome Feast. At that time, I would suggest a Thing of the Deep, which would fit nice with your character's name.
    Thanks Depth Diggers are an option also I guess?

How much unbuffed DPS do WD's need for life steal to kick in sufficiently for say MP2/3? Not having any LOH and wondering if I can skip that?

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Aahzmadius-1570

I haven't played much WD in HC, but you won't need a lot of LS/LoH for MP2 if you've got decent resists and armor. Never hurts to have some, of course, and a pair of BT pants would probably be enough. My SC WD uses Depth Diggers, and INT + Armor isn't too expensive on the Americas AH (couple million, probably less). If you don't like Bears, here are a few other builds I've found that function pretty well:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...UYd!Vae!bZZaaY

That's a defensive build, for when you're stretching yourself MP-wise. If you're playing solo, swap in Gargantuan/Bruiser for extra protection against DC's (instead of Hex/Jinx).

For group speed farming, try:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...UQd!TYe!cbZZbc

Everybody loves Slam Dance, which you can pop when you hit an elite pack. With a pick up radius boost, you'll act as a group cleric, sucking up all those health globes. You'll probably have some OOM issues, but that's OK in a group. Honored Guest and Gruesome Feast will help offset those issues, plus you'll get a consistent damage boost with the GotD/DiL + GF combo.

What about a spirit-based build, you say? Yeah, I've run one of those, too:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...Ujd!fYe!ZbZZYc

Grab a Last Breath off the AH (they're pretty cheap, last I looked) and learn to love Spirit Barrage/Well of Souls. It's a really nice single target skill, but I moved away from it once monster density was increased to favor AoE a bit more. It will still work on lower MP's, though.

One other tip, if you do end up with some IAS equipment you want to use, Blood Ritual works better for mana management than Spiritual Attunement. You also get some added life regen for DC protection. I used IAS+CoB+BR together and it worked pretty well (but again, this was all in SC).

Build diversity is one of the major benefits of playing the witch doctor. Change things up, and break up the farming monotony.
    Last edited by Aahzmadius; 15-10-2013 at 17:11. Reason: Clarified which skill Gargantuan should replace

BattleTag Hippotion-2165

Thanks, really good input here!