Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

Enchantress fire and lightning damage

Hi, I am trying to calculate the fire and lightning damage of a ranged enchantress.

It is my understanding that masteries only apply once to ranged damage, while they apply twice to melee dmg. right?

Lvl 31 enchant ( with warmth and fire mastery ) - 1608.5 avg dmg

Lvl 15 holy shock ( dream ) with lvl 24 lightning mastery ( 326% ) - 1382.7 avg dmg

So they are roughly about the same order of damage.

However in game it doesn't feel that way. Fire dmg seems to be much more than lightning, and fire immunes take long to kill.

Partly it may be because fire dmg splashes ( demon machine ) and lightning damage doesn't, but I don't think that's the only thing.. What gives?

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Re: Enchantress fire and lightning damage

What's the level of fire mastery? It seems to be 31 as well, right?

Fire damage doesn't splash in general, just the explosive bolts from your Demon do, but perhaps that's what you mean. I'm not entirely sure, but enchant damage may be dealt on everything affected by the explosive bolts while the holy shock may not.

BTW, the explosive bolts + L31 fire mastery deal another 98 damage on average.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

IncGamers Member

To clarify, +% Skill Damage applies to Enchant and Holy Shock skill damage before it is added to weapon damage. +% Skill Damage is then applied to melee attack damage, but not ranged attack damage.

Enchant adds damage to both the bolts and the explosions of Exploding Arrow, while Holy Shock only adds damage to the bolts. This means that even against a single target, Enchant damage is always applied at least once by the explosions, while the bolts applying both Enchant and Holy Shock damage can miss or be blocked. When the bolts do hit, Enchant damage is applied twice (once by the explosion and once by the bolt), while Holy Shock damage is only applied once.

However, since Demon Machine has 66% Piercing Attack (99% when equipping Razortail Unique Sharkskin Belt as well), bolts can pierce up to four times and hit up to five targets, which means Enchant damage can be applied to a target up to six times (one bolt and five explosions).

IncGamers Member

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
    I was wondering why <2k dmg enchant seemed to be better than 6k fireball for running Pindle. Pierce+splash is an insanely powerful mechanic ( also applicable to frost arrows I suppose ).

IncGamers Member

It is awesome. Too bad fire is the most heavily resisted element in the game.

Freezing arrows splash with all frost damage, also. Too bad there aren't any bows that shoot freezing arrows. Gotta be a zon.