Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: Help! I have tephephobia--the fear of being buried alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Orba View Post
    Thanks for the reply but I wasn't asking about how long a person could survive in a sealed coffin. I was asking how long a person can live in a coffin that has holes drilled into it. In other words, the coffin is connected to the soil surrounding it.

I am guessing it is probably not much different from when the coffin is sealed, because there isn't much air in packed soil. Although I could be wrong. Do you know the answer? Anybody has the answer?
    Business Opportunity: Coffin Snorkels.

Silly question perhaps, but why are holes being drilled into a coffin, why not simply ditch the coffin and bury the person in the naked earth?

Surely that would speed up the decomposing process! Plus, if you get buried alive, there is virtually no air, you'll die in minutes if you wake up at all! It's a win win win situation?

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Hm, we might wanne adjust the time window there ^^

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

Depends upon whether you are after the truth, or just confirmation.

To clear up some of these lingering and morbid questions, we must turn to the wise words of a great man. I can't find the audio on youtube, but here's a transcript:

(from Glitter and Doom Live, 2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Waits
    Okay, what else? Oh, the graveyard shift.

Now, when I was a kid I always worked jobs at night and I always had graveyard shifts and everybody kind of threw that expression around very loosely and I wondered what the hell is a graveyard shift is anyway? Other than the fact that you’re working at night, okay I know that much, but what’s the origin of the expression graveyard shift? And then I worked for a while in a graveyard and my boss, Joe Corvello, he explained it to me.

What happened in the old days, way, way, way back, hundreds of years ago, people were very nervous about being buried alive, not anymore nervous than we are today it’s just that the technology was not really with it, you could be taking a nap and they’d f*cking bury you.

So, there was a law that everybody who got buried had to have a string tied around their wrist in the coffin and then they’d run it up through the roof of the coffin and then they’d go up through the dirt and then they’d go over the branch of a tree on which they’d put a bell… and then there’s a guy who sits in the graveyard all night long waiting to hear a bell… that’s the graveyard shift.

You’ll like this one too… the bell and the whole apparatus and everything, you know if you find the guy who actually is alive and underground, he’s called a dead ringer. I’m not kidding.
    True story? Weeell, the very next story he tells is:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Waits
    You know, about a year ago… this is really weird and I don’t tell everybody this… during the summer I ingested some pond water, you know, and it’s the weirdest thing… a couple of days later I started to feel something moving in there. I thought, am I pregnant? I don’t know…

Anyway, several months went by and I finally had to go to the doctor and they put an ultrasound on me and they found three toads in my stomach… oh boy. But you know they’re off to themselves, they’re off to one side, and you know… why put them on such a bummer… it’s only a drag when we’re watching television and they get really loud and other than that, you know, I’m fine with it, it’s just a thing.
    What?! It could happen! *snicker*

Apologies for injecting a bit of humor into this topic, Orba, but what you have is an irrational fear and it's something you need to work out with your therapist. You won't overcome your fear by starting a website - such a project will serve nothing more than to enable you to further indulge in your fear rather than put it behind you (where it belongs). I sincerely hope my post is helpful to you. Best wishes.

Song only peripherally related. We all need to loosen up and jam a bit, methinks.

IncGamers Member

The thread has gone Tom Waits. Anything can happen now. Goto 4:30

Quote Originally Posted by LozHinge the Unhinged View Post
    Depends upon whether you are after the truth, or just confirmation.
    Actually neither, I was genuinly thinking about rescuing the "deceased" before having received their status properly.

On a side note, under what circumstances is one declared "deceased" for all known purposes?
    And does it only take the "opinion" of 1 doctor, or are there various parties who investigate the body?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    Apologies for injecting a bit of humor into this topic, Orba, but what you have is an irrational fear and it's something you need to work out with your therapist. You won't overcome your fear by starting a website - such a project will serve nothing more than to enable you to further indulge in your fear rather than put it behind you (where it belongs). I sincerely hope my post is helpful to you. Best wishes.
    But how can you say my fear is irrational? The way I see it, doctors are humans, and as humans, they can make mistakes. All it takes is for the doctor certifying your death to make one mistake, and if your family decides not to embalm you, the next thing you know you are buried alive/cremated alive. What I just described has a very real, definite chance of happening. It isn't just me being irrational. In fact, in present day UK, Yorkshire to be exact, a woman called Maureen Jones was incorrectly pronounced dead by her physician. She was in a diabetic coma but her doc thought, genuinely might I add, that she was dead. She was almost buried alive except she got rescued last minute, luckily. However, this one incident should tell us that there must be many more unlucky ones who didn't get rescued last minute and were buried alive as a result. We just don't know about them.

The frequency of this happening is so low, people'd rather care about more serious/known/bigger concerns?

Here's a little something to lighten the mood: http://wumo.com/2003/10/17