Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Help! I have tephephobia--the fear of being buried alive!

Guys I really need help. for the past few weeks, I can't think straight, or eat, or sleep well. Someone being accidentally buried alive is all I can think about. And this is possible. Even here in North America. Let's say if a home death occurs. First of all, the doctor doesn't go to your home to pronounce the person dead. He merely certifies the death certificate. From a distance. He doesn't even check the body for any sign of life (or death). Even if he did, he could make mistakes. Search for it on the internet, there are a lot of cases of people being erroneously pronounced dead who later came back to life. I think, what if I, or someone I care about, happen to be an unfortunate case, where they/I get mispronounced dead? Then what will surely follow is being buried alive or cremated alive, both of which are too terrible to even contemplate.

I am thinking about starting a website, probably have it called, "make embalming mandatory". The idea behind it is that embalming will surely kill off anybody who is unfortunate enough to be mispronounced dead, thereby preventing the extremely cruel fate of premature burial/cremation. But I know that such a site will never gain wide spread popularity--people of our times simply do not consider premature burial to be a very possible event, nor something that's of pressing concern. So I am feeling very down right now. But I know it's something that I WILL have to do, for my own peace of mind. I literally cannot imagine people going through the terror of being buried alive. And I know that such a thing is bound to happen, because doctors/coroners are people, and as people, they sometimes err.

Guys please help. I feel like I am going insane.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Re: Help! I have tephephobia--the fear of being buried alive!

I could Swear I hear I muffled sound from right under me.

Bob, don't mock. Fears can be overwhelming. From where we are standing, it's fear as we all have, everyone's afraid of being buried alive. But the proportion Orba has it in is pretty bad.

Orba, your fear is as old as the world. Everyone has it. Looking up this stuff will just make you more scared. You can appoint someone who will check you're really dead before you're buried, a relative or a friend who will make sure it is properly verified first and that no shortcuts are being taken.
    Me, I've opted for cremation anyways. I don't want to leave behind remains. I'm destined to survive all those who care about me, so there will be no one left to mourn over me.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Bob, don't mock. Fears can be overwhelming. From where we are standing,
    On His Grave?

Spoiler

IncGamers Member

Orba, I hope you do not go on a moral crusade; that would only feed the irrational fear instead of conquering it. Your family doctor can refer you to an expert who can help you overcome the phobia.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by stillman View Post
    Orba, I hope you do not go on a moral crusade; that would only feed the irrational fear instead of conquering it. Your family doctor can refer you to an expert who can help you overcome the phobia.
    I apologize but I don't quite understand what you meant by "moral crusade", and how it would feed the fear. The way I see it, premature burial has an existing chance of happening to my fellow citizens, as such, I regard it as my moral duty to try and prevent. And making embalming legally required seems to do the trick.

It's like I said, doctors CAN make mistakes in mispronouncing someone dead. And when that inevitably happens, the only thing that stands between being buried/cremated alive and the person, is embalming. Embalming serves as a last line of defence. I hope I am making sense. Also, my fear of taphephobia isn't irrational, imho. It has a very real, definite chance of happening. And given the vast population of North America, it is bound to happen to a few people, regardless of how low the probability of live burial happening is. And it is because of this, that I believe it is imperative that we have some sort of preventative measure in place to prevent such an exceedingly cruel fate from happening to some of our citizens.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Bob, don't mock. Fears can be overwhelming. From where we are standing, it's fear as we all have, everyone's afraid of being buried alive. But the proportion Orba has it in is pretty bad.

Orba, your fear is as old as the world. Everyone has it. Looking up this stuff will just make you more scared. You can appoint someone who will check you're really dead before you're buried, a relative or a friend who will make sure it is properly verified first and that no shortcuts are being taken.
    Me, I've opted for cremation anyways. I don't want to leave behind remains. I'm destined to survive all those who care about me, so there will be no one left to mourn over me.
    Hi Vi, thank you for being understanding. It is true that I have already made arrangements for someone to perform after I am dead to ensure that I won't be buried alive. However, it is the vast number of my fellow citizens out there that I am concerned with. These people, oblivious to the very real possibility of being buried a live, go through their lives not bothering to ensure such a fate won't happen to them. This worries me sick. I have taken it upon myself to change the law here in British Columbia such that everybody will have to be embalmed after they are dead, and this is to ensure that premature burial won't happen. You know, those people whose signs of life are overlooked by a careless physician, and this is bound to happen, because humans make mistakes, and I want to make sure each and every one of my fellow citizens will be spared this cruel fate.

I read an article in the newspaper about this subject on a daily basis, but always it is in a country with less fortunate people / bad hygien / lots of poverty and starvation.

I've never read about something like this happening in America or Europe (it might though) but I think you'd have to be more afraid of a meteor hitting you in the face.

Are you also claustraphopic? Perhaps you have to start with facing lesser fears in a controlled environment and then work your way up to the point where you can live more or less normal.

Remember, there are a gazillions things to worry about or fear in this universe, but as long as you're not personally affected, why should it bother you? There is no point in worrying or panicking in any situation, always calm yourself down and look for the most helpfull/logical thing you can say or do to improve the situation.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnmaster View Post
    I read an article in the newspaper about this subject on a daily basis, but always it is in a country with less fortunate people / bad hygien / lots of poverty and starvation.

I've never read about something like this happening in America or Europe (it might though) but I think you'd have to be more afraid of a meteor hitting you in the face.

Are you also claustraphopic? Perhaps you have to start with facing lesser fears in a controlled environment and then work your way up to the point where you can live more or less normal.

Remember, there are a gazillions things to worry about or fear in this universe, but as long as you're not personally affected, why should it bother you? There is no point in worrying or panicking in any situation, always calm yourself down and look for the most helpfull/logical thing you can say or do to improve the situation.
    No I don't think I am claustraphobic. Then again, it doesn't really matter. Being buried alive is bad enough without throwing claustraphobia in the mix. Also, just because you have never read about this happening here in N. America, it doens't mean it doens't happen. Maybe we did bury somebody alive, but we just haven't dug them up yet to discover it. You know, we here in North America have a lot of room so we are not in any hurry to dig up any graves for expanding towns. Also, the reason we don't hear it happen in North America is probably because we tend to embalm our dead. So you can see, embalming does have a lot of advantages.

Also, I must respectfully disagree with you that as long as I am not personally affected, I shouldn't let it bother me. The way I see it, if this insanely cruel fate of premature burial has any chance of happening to another human, I regard it as my moral duty to try and prevent it. This is because I love human beings, each and every one of them. It literally breaks my heart to imagine this kind of thing happening to even just one of them. This is the reason behind why I want to change existing laws in British Columbia as to make embalming legally required. I want to prevent premature burial from happening to not just myself, but other people too.

Also, could you elaborate on how you read about this in the newspaper on a daily basis? Does this mean premature burial happens very often? God, this is too awful.

I'm really warming up to this Orba Character. He/she/it has started some intriguing threads.

I think Damnmaster is right, we're just going to have to help them face their fears. We're going to have to bury Orba alive in a controlled environment. Repeatedly. Until they realize that there's nothing to fear, except being buried alive--which sounds awful.