Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

Re: Human immortality

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnmaster View Post
    It depends what type of alcohol, in what quantity you consume it, how you react to it, and in what kind of environment/situation it is being used.

I rarely drink alcohol, usually in the order of once every 2 months, and in good company with a party of some sorts, I drink enough but not too much and I'll be happy and fun all the way, the moment I hit my maximum I'll get very sleepy and slow
    That's sensible. I can imagine people enjoying having some alcoholic beverages.What bothers me is how overrated it is, like life, or you, can't be fun if you don't drink.

IncGamers Member wolfofbenjamin's Avatar

Be very careful in handling the term 'alcohol.' Many people when hearing the word 'alcohol' automatically think that it refers to alcohol fermented from foodstuffs. I once heard of a man who made fun of the term 'alcohol' by mixing in what he read as 'ethyl alcohol' into a couple shots of native liquor (most native liquor here is derived from coconut sap). The next day or so he woke up blind. Little that he knew that it was not ethyl alcohol inside the bottle but wood alcohol.
    He went on going to the doctors but in the end they plainly told him that there was no cure. I really felt sorry for the man; he could do nothing but break down in front of his family.
    The multitude must be informed that methanol, propanol and myriads of other alcohols are toxic. (e.g) Methanol attacks nervous tissue
    Last edited by wolfofbenjamin; 20-05-2013 at 00:28.

Oh. No one here seems to think like that - I'm sure you understood what I meant though.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

"Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity."

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnmaster View Post
    I actually don't care toomuch about living forever or dying, my only fear/worry is being in pain when either happen.
    (dying in some horrible way, or being immortal and feeling certain pains longer because you can't die)

I'm a big sissy
    You speak a truth.

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

Another misconception is the term "Calories" when applied to food. For instance, a snack may contain one hundred "Calories" in it. The problem with this is that where food is concerned, the so-called Calories are in fact kilo-calories, i.e. thousands of calories of energy.

If you were to confuse the two units of measure, you may end up with a situation where you think, hey, this chocolate bar only has 100 calories, that's nothing, I think I'll eat ninety or so at once ... but that's wrong, it's Calories and you end up consuming over nine thousand kilo-calories!!!one!1!!juan!!!!

Be careful folks, eat safe!

@LozHinge

Assuming that a chocolate bar is 100% fat....

[FYI] 1 g fat = 9 cal

100 kcal x 1000 cal/1 kcal = 100000 cal

Assuming swimming is: Rate = 0.6 cal/sec

constant: 1 calorie is the amount of energy required to raise 1 g of water to a scale of 1 in Kelvin.

(a) How many seconds will it take to burn a chocolate bar that contains 100000 cal through swimming?

100000 cal x sec/0.6 cal = 166666.66 sec

in minutes: 166666.66 sec x 1 minute/60 sec = 2777.77 minutes
    in hours: 2777.77 minutes x 1 hour/60 minutes = 46.2962 hours

46 hours + 0.2962 hours = 46.2962 hours

46 hours + 0.2962 hours x (60 minutes/1 hour) = 46.2962 hours

46 hours + 17 minutes + 0.7777 minutes x (60 seconds/1 minute) = 46.2962 hours

46 hours + 17 minutes + 46.6666 seconds = 46.2962 hours

So to meet the standards: It basically takes 46 hours; 17 minutes and 46.6666 seconds to burn a chocolate bar with 100000 calories.

(b) Assuming that all the calories in the chocolate bar is burned; how many grams of water is raised to a scale of 1 (in K)?

c x c: 100000 cal*g/K x 1K/1 cal = 100000g
    Last edited by wolfofbenjamin; 02-06-2013 at 20:54.

I'm not worried. I need to gain weight. I can't eat chocolat though, bar the imaginary chocolat Zokar leaves me here.

IncGamers Member

You folks don't think that in the quintillamagico****tontillion years that we'd have to live and think if we achieved practical immortality the whole Heat Death situation couldn't be solved somehow?

Also, while it's a fair point about old ideas never dying with their carriers, have you considered that everyone would have a billion years (or some ridiculous number, until you die of an accident that incinerates your entire body) to re-consider? And if our memory could somehow be augmented so that the brain's capacity would not be a problem - think about the educational benefits, and the resulting leaps in science! Everyone could be a nuclear physicist, an engineer, a bio-scientist, hell, almost anything, all at once! We could all speak 20 languages! Now of course it is true that some folks would just play pinball for their billion years, beyond all logical help. But once you get bored enough, you do almost anything to be entertained. Even if you're Bubba McStupid from Dumpville Nowhere. There'd be some pretty good teachers around, too, having thought a 100,000 classes. I dunno; there's possibilities that no one's even considered. The mere thought of immortality makes my cells buzz with excitement!

Finally, I cannot fathom how some people are seemingly perfectly a-ok with having to give up their consciousness. It's not some peaceful sleep you go into - you wake up from sleep! - but an eternal non-existence. It's even wrong to call it a void imo; it's not anything. I'd kill not to be sent there. Yes, that's hypocritical, reprehensible, all that jazz - but I fear it that much. If I made any money at all, rest assured I'd give a lot to aging-cure research.