Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Human immortality

Quote Originally Posted by Orba View Post
    Also, I think those of us who are interested in everlasting life should try and persuade biotech companies to invest in radical life-extension studies and research..you know, the baby boomer generation is getting older and it's natural that some of them want to live longer, and happier. There is much money to be made in this. Plus the rest of us gets to benefit from it too.

Anybody has any idea how to go about doing this?
    A reason for my skepticism is people putting more resources into football or a Batman movie than, say, research in Alzheimer's disease. Imo, our species is trapped in our apelike behaviors and culture. What you describe is the rational thing for all of us, but nearly none will pursue it (or be allowed to).

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
    I think immortality is nowhere near here, just like fusion and (real) AI. They're myths, perpetually "just 30 years out". Sure *eventually*, but not in any of our lifetimes.

I've become pretty firmly against immortality. For anyone. You have the obvious problems like population, dating your great-great-grandmother, etc., but the thing that kills it for me (sorry about the pun) is that old ideas need to die to make room for new ideas. The only way for that to happen is for the people that cling to them to die out. Where would we be if we had to share this world with people who still think the earth is flat, 6000 years old, and that slavery is A-OK? ... Oh wait...

Seriously though, with immortality would come extreme stagnation of knowledge, technology, and progress in general. The individual would benefit, but humanity as a whole would flounder.
    Sad but true. The geriatric population becomes too rigid, having spent decades strengthening neural networks that support their ideologies. Confirmation bias is self-perpetuating like that. This is why I propose people with different viewpoints and lifestyles be allowed to segregate themselves rather than forcing us all to pretend to get along at gunpoint. In communities where everyone really does get along, they would flourish, and at least some groups would have their chance to develop the godlike technologies discussed here.

I think immortality is nowhere near here, just like fusion and (real) AI. They're myths, perpetually "just 30 years out". Sure *eventually*, but not in any of our lifetimes.
    Actually, in order of likelyhood, I think AI will someday be achieved, fusion I'm not sure, that can go either way, and immortality, I think will temporarily be achieved, but sustaining it indefinetally will be impossible.

BattleTag kestegs-1550

Quote Originally Posted by Orba View Post
    Do you think we are nearing the point where aging will be stopped completely, or even reversed? How far along do you think we are in terms of achieving human immortality? What do you know about this subject?

I am personally very interested in this subject, because I am scared of death and dying. I don't ever want to die and I turn to science for help.
    I don't think immortality will ever be achieved, at least not on earth.

I'm not scared of death at all, and the thought of immortality probably feels to me the same as the thought of death does to you. I'm ready to die anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    I don't think immortality will ever be achieved, at least not on earth.

I'm not scared of death at all, and the thought of immortality probably feels to me the same as the thought of death does to you. I'm ready to die anytime.
    I actually don't care toomuch about living forever or dying, my only fear/worry is being in pain when either happen.
    (dying in some horrible way, or being immortal and feeling certain pains longer because you can't die)

I'm a big sissy

BattleTag What Me Worry?

nOT SURE IF THIS IS PRO - OR - cON ?

BUT ON THE WHOLE CYBORG/CLONE/CONTINUATION/UPLOAD AS A IMMORTALITY IDEA.

It's Not me anymore, even if you can't tell the difference I can.

IT's A Meme.

IncGamers Member wolfofbenjamin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dalyconversions View Post
    You cannot be immortal by eating and drinking unless having chronic illness due to excessive eating and drinking that leads to death.
    How can you go through life without eating? How can you be cured of a sickness without drinking? As long as you live here on earth; you will always face the truths of eating and drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnmaster View Post
    Actually, in order of likelyhood, I think AI will someday be achieved, fusion I'm not sure, that can go either way, and immortality, I think will temporarily be achieved, but sustaining it indefinetally will be impossible.
    Sure, I think they will all be achieved eventually, but I just don't think it will be in a time frame relevant to our lives. I'm personally rooting for fusion first. At least we can stop worrying about energy before our robot overlords oppress us for all eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfofbenjamin View Post
    How can you go through life without eating? How can you be cured of a sickness without drinking? As long as you live here on earth; you will always face the truths of eating and drinking.
    Actually, in Highlander 3, Conner's being portrayed as having starved for several years without his physical body changing.

So it depends what type of immortality you posses, more precise, is there a ritual of some sort required to sustain your immortality, and does time/accidents damage your body or do you auto heal back to "normal" every now and then?

Sure, I think they will all be achieved eventually, but I just don't think it will be in a time frame relevant to our lives. I'm personally rooting for fusion first. At least we can stop worrying about energy before our robot overlords oppress us for all eternity.
    Seeing how all materials eventually deteriorate, there are only 2 alternatives to eternity: immortality throughout a magical way, or the constant transfer of your neural pathways into a new "package".

But I'm not sure how either is continueable when the universe itself has to end, how does an immortal react when the sun blows up, how will it go for him when the universe reaches maximum entropy and all things seize to move/exist, he'll be floating around for eternity in an endless void, with zero atmosphere, temperatures at absolute zero, no light at all and excruciating painfull radiation all over the place?

(actually is this what people interpret as being in Hell like?)

IncGamers Member

You guys are making this difficult by thinking in terms of infinity. A few thousand years makes you immortal, in my book, because you'd have time to extend that long before your expiry date. Set some realistic goals. Jeeze!

Btw, I see my post that disappeared days ago has reappeared, and in the correct spot. You could try immortality in a similar way: use cryogenics to wake up for a millisecond every million years. You'd be around for a long time. If you want to cheat death, you must think up ways of of cheating harder.

Quote Originally Posted by stillman View Post
    You guys are making this difficult by thinking in terms of infinity. A few thousand years makes you immortal, in my book, because you'd have time to extend that long before your expiry date. Set some realistic goals. Jeeze!

Btw, I see my post that disappeared days ago has reappeared, and in the correct spot. You could try immortality in a similar way: use cryogenics to wake up for a millisecond every million years. You'd be around for a long time. If you want to cheat death, you must think up ways of of cheating harder.
    There are trees that are several thousands of years old, does that make them immortal?
    Immortal in my book = cannot die of natural causes (and possibly others)

Millisecond every million years, what kind of life would that be?
    Sure you'd be "alive" longer than the sun, but you won't be conscious, so what's the point?

I actually had a similar thought though, I don't expect human civilization to be around anymore 5000 years into the future,
    so living longer than that seems futile, but how about:
    you only spend one hour per day "awake" and 23 hours per day in cryonics, should allow you to reach a good 2500 years?