Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BattleTag TheNix-6417

Re: Human immortality

I'm not a fan of immortality. One look into the realm of scifi/fantasy is enough to see the possible pitfalls it has. Besides, everything has its time. Imagine trying to be your own person in a world where your parents/grandparents are still alive and critiquing your every move. Forever! And who here would want to be perpetually stuck as a 16 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by stillman View Post
    There are TED talks on this you should watch (transhumanists, etc). Imo, I doubt we can overcome our great ape proclivities.

Oh really? I would count him immortalized. He invented some 1700 words.

We should change our perception of immortality. It starts with getting your own Wikipedia entry. Centuries on, if you are still affecting people, then how is that much different than being alive?
    His personality, his works and his inventions are perhaps immortal, but the man himself is not, unless you really believe he's out there, in some zombieform.
    Now I'm reminded of Horrible Histories.

Another thing.
    Where are we going to put the children? Everybody lives and the planet becomes crowded unless immortality is combined with infertality. I don't think you can have it both, not succesfully anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by stillman View Post
    There are TED talks on this you should watch (transhumanists, etc). Imo, I doubt we can overcome our great ape proclivities.

Oh really? I would count him immortalized. He invented some 1700 words.

We should change our perception of immortality. It starts with getting your own Wikipedia entry. Centuries on, if you are still affecting people, then how is that much different than being alive?
    His words and inventions may be immortal, but the man is dead. Unless you think he's some sort of zombie.

Another thing: where are we going to put the children? Everybody lives and the planet becomes crowded unless immortality is combined with infertality.
    You can't have it both, not succesfully anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Another thing.
    Where are we going to put the children? Everybody lives and the planet becomes crowded unless immortality is combined with infertality. I don't think you can have it both, not succesfully anyways.
    Simple: ship them out to colonize the universe! Since they cannot die, they don't need food or oxygen or warmth or protection from extreme heat or radiation, so you can build cheap spaceships

IncGamers Member

I found this website, it makes for an interesting read: http://www.manhattanbeachproject.com...Cure-Aging.htm

Also, I think those of us who are interested in everlasting life should try and persuade biotech companies to invest in radical life-extension studies and research..you know, the baby boomer generation is getting older and it's natural that some of them want to live longer, and happier. There is much money to be made in this. Plus the rest of us gets to benefit from it too.

Anybody has any idea how to go about doing this?

IncGamers Member

I think immortality is nowhere near here, just like fusion and (real) AI. They're myths, perpetually "just 30 years out". Sure *eventually*, but not in any of our lifetimes.

I've become pretty firmly against immortality. For anyone. You have the obvious problems like population, dating your great-great-grandmother, etc., but the thing that kills it for me (sorry about the pun) is that old ideas need to die to make room for new ideas. The only way for that to happen is for the people that cling to them to die out. Where would we be if we had to share this world with people who still think the earth is flat, 6000 years old, and that slavery is A-OK? ... Oh wait...

Seriously though, with immortality would come extreme stagnation of knowledge, technology, and progress in general. The individual would benefit, but humanity as a whole would flounder.

One thing I find funny: when I was younger, I was terrified of death. I mean really freaked out. I would have jumped at the opportunity to live forever in an instant. Nowadays, it's merely an unpleasant part of life.

IncGamers Member wolfofbenjamin's Avatar

If you want to be immortal, just eat and drink.

IncGamers Member

You cannot be immortal by eating and drinking unless having chronic illness due to excessive eating and drinking that leads to death.