Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: A Thread for Dondrei. (BBC Grammar Quiz)

"I was sat in the chair" is perfectly sound. As in: "The guards forced me into the room. I was sat in the chair." However, as pattern recognizing beings, we should look at the other two options and see their simplicity; that is, no sneaky context is needed.

The that/which question is unfair imo. All three are correct depending on context. Was there just one car or were there many? If there were many, you should say, "The car which ran me over was speeding." Use "which" to refer to one thing of many things.

The Churchill one is OK. If you don't know it offhand, it's best handled by rearranging the sentence to its more natural sounding state. You would then notice it ends in a preposition, "with".

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillman View Post
    "I was sat in the chair" is perfectly sound. As in: "The guards forced me into the room. I was sat in the chair." However, as pattern recognizing beings, we should look at the other two options and see their simplicity; that is, no sneaky context is needed.
    I think it looks weird that way. Wouldn't that have to be "I was set/put into the chair"?

I don't think that "sit" can be put into passive because sentences with the active form of "sit" don't have a direct object to be turned into nominative when changing the clause into passive.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

BattleTag kestegs-1550

The that/which question is unfair imo. All three are correct depending on context. Was there just one car or were there many? If there were many, you should say, "The car which ran me over was speeding." Use "which" to refer to one thing of many things.

The Churchill one is OK. If you don't know it offhand, it's best handled by rearranging the sentence to its more natural sounding state. You would then notice it ends in a preposition, "with".
    Yes, that's exactly how I see it. Ironically I made that assumption for the sledding question and got it right, but didn't make it for the the chair question.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    I think it looks weird that way. Wouldn't that have to be "I was set/put into the chair"?

I don't think that "sit" can be put into passive because sentences with the active form of "sit" don't have a direct object to be turned into nominative when changing the clause into passive.
    Well, you had me worried. But I found this:
    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=808910

The fifth comment down:

"The only correct use of I was sat is in the meaning ‘to be placed in a particular seat by somebody’, as in I asked for a seat near the aisle, but I was sat at the far end of the row."

While it does look odd, we should be allowed to use the best sounding verb for the job. In this case it's sit/sat. "Seated" would be good to avoid awkwardness, but people are fussy.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Well, my comment about changing active to passive is missing the point anyway. A phrase in passive form doesn't have to derive from one in active, of course.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Given I don't really understand the last posts, I really wish I had had proper English education. All I can do is guess. It's always been like this with me, even when I was taught German at school - complex grammar rules and the teacher demanded me to tell which rule I applied (was it Dativ or Akkusativ and why) and all I could come up with is "it sounds right." It was right too.

Don't worry vivi, I supposedly had a proper english education, but learned nearly all the grammar I know from taking spanish and the little green line in MS word. Some of those you could have guessed just because one sentence was more awkward than the others.

I got a 8/10. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know that the neighbor lives alone. Certainly there could be and it would be more likely that there would be multiple neighbors. I know the rule, but this neighbor apparently is single, but still bought a place large enough to have a garden.

I also got tangled in the web of the transgendered hilary. I was sure there was no way to tell. Commas be damned! I also knew the comma in the king's clothing one made it a misplaced modifier, but I can never remember how to make it not so. I usually just rearrange the sentence instead.

I was super proud of getting the semi-colon one right. i think someone from here made me learn that to stop annoying them, Borty maybe.

I legitimately didn't know the answer to at least three of them.

(Nobody ever remembers but I was actually a malapropism Nazi, not a grammar Nazi. Sometimes spelling. Like all native English speakers my grammar is appalling.)

Totally didn't get here because I googled my old profile and this was the first thread that came up. I'm way too cool to do that.

*EDIT* Oh yeah this forum doesn't auto-append posts. Ah, nostalgia.

I wondered that as well, but as it turns out the correct form is "I was seated in the chair.", the use of "sat" as a substitute for "seated" in this context is informal.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Dondrei!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dondrei View Post
    *EDIT* Oh yeah this forum doesn't auto-append posts. Ah, nostalgia.

Time to Dance in the OTF Buddy!

How's the Wife and the ladyboys - Wink wink - nudge nudge

BTW is the current game site down?
    or are you visiting ? if so visit the bar and the OTF in the OTF
    Last edited by BobCox2; 30-10-2013 at 05:43.