Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Roll of the Dice Tournament

HolyHandGrenade is sitting pretty at the beginning of Act III and is level 25. The Duriel fight - as expected - was fairly uneventful after procuring Iron Maiden towards the end of Act II. Just had to have a lot of Mana Pots on hand for the recasting of Clay Golem. It was a very slow fight - literally and figuratively - but he was never in any danger. BlackAlbum is waltzing around with a high level Fissure destroying everything in sight in Act II now. Some half-decent rares have dropped, and he has also gambled a useful Partizan for himself, and a rare Pike for the Moron.

Definitely looking forward to finishing up with him soon!

Here's a fun (theoretical) rules question.

If I throw my Skills/Stats reset at level 18 to try and bumble my way into Blade-Fury and I hit a point where I'm unable to use my skills (due to the rule of not moving backwards in a tree), what happens? Do I:

A) Reroll until all of my lapsed points are spent

-or-

B) Continue distributing my banked points as I level, and then dumping what's left in the pool as additional randomized rolls hit.

I can see a situation where I might roll (for example) Traps - 6 points, but only be able to sink 4 points in at level 18, thus leaving me stuck.

Thoughts?

While I'm waiting for the theoretical funsies, all three characters are now officially in Act 2. Felicity had an easy time, whacking things in the face (even without me trying to respec into Blade Fury). She managed to get Bloodfist and Blood Crescent from Andariel; Blood Crescent made things trivial for Karma to run through the act.

Karma's the most balanced in terms of skills; he's got about a third in defensive (all in Resist Fire), a third in Offensive (all in Holy Fire [and pre-reqs]), and a third in combat; giving him 4 in Zeal and 1 in Vengeance, which I think is what I'll use for him.

The plan for Karma is to continue banking on a nice even distro to boost the all-around elemental goodness of Vengeance. Felicity will eventually become a BFsin, as she just needs one skill point in that tree... unfortunately, the next four are in Shadow Skills, so that might not come.

Kismet? I have no idea. I will likely roll along until I hit a wall, and respec at a higher level, hoping for a plan of attack.

IncGamers Member

Number 2 has reached the outer cloister (my usual stopping point and convenient for this) so onto the paladin next.

Stormy weathers the druid has skills off 4 firestorm, 2 molten boulder, 1 raven, 1 spirit wolf, 4 oak sage, 1 werewolf and 3 lycanthropy with 1 more shape shift skill pt to place. Lvl 16 so far.

Lara Croft the assassin is also lvl 16 and has 2 fire blast, 1 psychic hammer, 5 claw mastery, 1 burst of speed, 7 dragon talon with 1 skill to place there currently which will be dragon talon again

No idea what Robin Hood the paladin will get but his first is for offensive auras

Quote Originally Posted by erimatbrad View Post
    Here's a fun (theoretical) rules question.

If I throw my Skills/Stats reset at level 18 to try and bumble my way into Blade-Fury and I hit a point where I'm unable to use my skills (due to the rule of not moving backwards in a tree), what happens? Do I:

A) Reroll until all of my lapsed points are spent

-or-

B) Continue distributing my banked points as I level, and then dumping what's left in the pool as additional randomized rolls hit.

I can see a situation where I might roll (for example) Traps - 6 points, but only be able to sink 4 points in at level 18, thus leaving me stuck.

Thoughts?
    I would suggest the latter:

Say you're lvl 18 and you have spent 4/6 points into Traps. Obviously you have two left over. Your lvl 19/20 skills would go into Traps, then you'd roll again after that

Quote Originally Posted by PH View Post
    I would suggest the latter:

Say you're lvl 18 and you have spent 4/6 points into Traps. Obviously you have two left over. Your lvl 19/20 skills would go into Traps, then you'd roll again after that
    Good; the latter is what I was thinking about. Which means you can (maaaaaybe?) minmax your way into a skill you want, but it might also mean that you're running around with a ton of banked points for a long time.

Karma is continuing to slaughter everything he comes up on, and has completed act 2. Holy Fire adds a crazy amount of damage early on, that coupled with zeal is bringing death and destruction to everything he touches. I made him a quick Ancients Pledge with some cubed runes and a few countess runs; I put it in the first 3-socket shield I could find, and he's pretty beefy at tanking things. I'm not sure what his ultimate weapon will be... he's running with a Steel Flail right now, which might be the weapon of choice for all three characters for the foreseeable future.

I'm hoping to trick the dice into giving me Blade Fury early, which means that Felicity will have a super-easy time in Act 2.... I'm not so sure about Kismet, as I'm almost at the tipping point where I need to stop bumping up Lycanthropy and start bumping up attack skills.

IncGamers Member

All three of my characters have assembled the Horodric Staff and are preparing to go into the Palace basement. Each is at level 25.

Bandy (Amazon) has thrown the dice for 24 javelin tree and 7 magic and passive. She still has 5 javelin points to spend before she needs to role again. This makes for an excellent build if it continues. Since I always prefer a bow Amazon, this is a good opportunity for me to try my hand with the javelin. It actually seems very good. The skill point assignments are 4 in Jab, 14 in power strike and 1 in poison javelin. The passive points are one each in all the prerequisites for the Valkyrie and one point in critical srike. Bandy intends to continue to max out Power Strike and hopes to continue on to charged Strike and Lightning Strike if the dice continue to cooperate. Of course, passive points will all go into the Valkyrie if they are thrown. Bandy’s equipment includes: a NADIR full helm, a STEALTH Breast Plate, a large shield with three chip diamonds, an Hsarus’s Iron Stay belt, a nice rare set of javelins. She carries a Gull Dagger in the off hand and tries to remember to switch to it before a boss dies. No luck with that so far. She plans to take out Duriel with her Power Strike.

Sleek (Sorceress) has thrown dice for 19 fire and 13 lightning tree. She still has 6 fire points to spend before she needs to role again. I usually go for the cold tree, so this is another major change for me. The skill point assignments are 12 in fire bolt and 1 in warmth, one in charged bolt 4 in static field and 8 in lightning. She has two weapons: A LEAF long staff that has 1 in shiver armor, 3 in fire bolt, 3 in warmth, 3 in inferno, 3 in lightning, 2 in Nova and the 3 in fire skills; and an orb that has 2 static field, 2 ice bolt and 3 warmth. The orb will be used when static field is needed, otherwise, the LEAF is boss. Sleek’s equipment includes: NADIR skull cap, STEALTH ring mail, an amulet with +7 resist all. She plans to take out Duriel with static field and fire bolt.

Bonemeal (Necromancer) has thrown dice for 19 in Curses (ouch!), 4 in summoning tree, and 5 in Poison/Bone. He still has one P/B point left to assign. The skill point assignments are 1 in bone spear and its prerequisites, 4 in Clay golem, 10 in amplify damage, 7 in iron maidon, 1 in weaken and 1 in Terror. This will almost certainly be my first casualty. Bonemeal’s equipment includes: Infernal Cranium cap, Arctic binding light belt and Arctic Furs quilted armor, a Zombie head with 2 in skeleton mastery and 2 in Raise Skeleton, a MALICE grand scepter. The offhand has a preserved head with 2 in Golem Mastery and a wand with one in Bone Spear, one in Clay Golem and one in P/B skills. He also has a Blood Crescent scimitar that he might try to use instead of the MALICE scepter to get the resistances, the Open Wounds, and the life steal. Bonemeal is playing like a weak barbarian with a Golem to keep him company!! He plans on spending about an hour with Duriel and hoping to Iron Maiden him with the Golem. Should be fun (choke/caugh).QUESTION: when he dies can he leave his equipment to a teammate?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolron View Post
    QUESTION: when he dies can he leave his equipment to a teammate?
    I'd say (in keeping with the challenge) when he dies he's d-e-a-d dead, and that means the gear goes with it.

When a Hardcore character's dead, in my opinion, it's DEAD.

Now... Whatever you do on your own machine is perfectly fine, if you want to salvage the items for your own stash (if that's something you do), then go ahead. But don't mingle the items with the other Tournament Characters

IncGamers Member

Ok, I understand. As long as the characters are alive they can give items to their friends, but a true friend would never loot the body of a buddy. I can live with that, but if I should die, don't come around expecting to be included in the will.