Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Fizoo-1366

Ladder reset tips and to-do list for the untwinked!

I'm compiling some tips and tricks and to-do list here to help the untwinked get off the ground!

1. Drognan in Act 2 normal sells 2 socket bone shields to make RHYME.
    2. The best place to get your SHAEL rune to build your RHYME shield is to just run around NM lower kurast popping chests / corpses / logs in multiplayer games. It'll drop fairly quickly, maybe an hour at most if youre quick.
    3. Ormus in Act 3 normal sells staffs with charges of teleport. I think they become available at 18, but can't be equipped until level 22 or 23 or so. Set aside 30 mins to shop Ormus until a cheap one spawns. SAVE ALL YOUR GOLD YOU COLLECT FROM YOUR FIRST 18-22 LEVELS FOR THIS ITEM!
    4. Farm normal cows for a white crystal sword. Use the socket quest on it for 4 sockets guaranteed and build your SPIRIT runeword out of it. ( Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn )
    5. Wealth (Lem + Ko + Tir) dusk shroud: Farm hell cows for white dusk shrouds. Use the socket cube recipe on them to roll for 3 sockets ( Tal + Thul + perfect topaz) You will roll 1-4 sockets each time. If you get a 4 socket one instead, you can toss 4 perfect topaz in for 96% MF (instead of the +300% gold/+100% MF from wealth)
    6. Most people have crappy belts in the beginning. Shop Halbu in A4 hell for magical plated belts with huge +life.
    7. farm hell cows for white monarchs. Use the socket quest on it for 4 sockets guaranteed to build your SPIRIT shield.
    8. Cow King rules: 1) If the Cow King Killer has never killed the cow king on that diff level, when he kills the the cow king, everyone in the cow level (partied or not) will get credit, and be unable to open the portal again. 2) If the Cow King Killer has killed the cow king in a previous game on that diff level, then there is no harm done to anyone in the game, partied or not. (added this info because a lot of the tips I gave refer to the use of the cow level)
    9. Woestave (the unique halberd) is a common item to find early in the game, and incredibly powerful on an act2 merc because of its "slow monsters by 50%" affix. It does a nice job of slowing Act bosses. It usually procs almost immediately once the merc is in position. It is AWESOME to use on Baal, because it also turns off ALL of his specials. Baal afflicted by the "slow monsters" debuff will not teleport, not summon his clone, not cast his ice spear thing that knocks you back, and pretty much sit docile while you beat him down.
    10. The most useful battle.net "tip" that some never notice is that yes, in fact, you can type a game name in the name field, highlight it, press ctrl-c, and save it to your clipboard. This can be pasted back into the name field with ctrl-v. This makes life a lot easier if you are running baal games, as you don't ever have to remember the game name. You just save it to your clipboard the first time and enter. When you exit, you can paste it back, increment the count by 1, and resave to the clipboard. A massive quality of life improvement over typing "killbaal-74" repeatedly...

Best places to level (debatable):

3-15: normal Tristram
    15-20: A2 tombs or solo in canyon of the magi
    20-25: A3 normal council
    25-47: normal baal
    47-71: nm baal
    71+: hell baal

Remember, USWest is best! USEast has failed to join errors! USWest does not!!!!!
    Last edited by Fizoo; 14-11-2013 at 10:50.

Re: Ladder reset tips and to-do list for the untwinked!

May I note something?

Why go for Dusk when that has a max of 4 sockets? There are a ton of decent Def armors with max 3 sockets, in NM.
    And you dont have to wait for Hell to get that Lem rune..

2. Lazy version, due to non-existent cow/travi runs, is that you do Tomb runs until lvl 24. Then do the Ancient quest for lvl 25.

3. If your ping is more suited for the EU server, let me know if you are going to play from the first hours of the ladder. Ill be arranging a list of player to play with!

Nice list otherwise! Now I know better how to get that elusive Shael rune, I always rage about early ladder!

Peace and love

asap when ladder starts its not worth to do exp runs trist/tomb/baal etc... You will get alot of exp just rushing to hell fast as you can. Nightmare baals is first exp place you should run. (if needed)

IncGamers Member

Interesting about the Bone Shield, with its higher block. That would be good for Rhyme; however, bone shield has max 2 sockets, so won't work for Ancients' Pledge.

Are staves of teleport really used by people? I usually play Sorc as my first char. Guess it could be nice for a Necro; expensive to recharge though.

I don't bother with Wealth runeword... I'd rather save the Lem and Ko for item upgrades or other uses. 4 Perfect Topaz armor is fine.

Here's my tip - you need to be at least L66 to purchase any Jeweler's items. I usually level in nightmare to at least L67 (often L70) and then go shopping at Larzuk in A5 for Jeweler's Gothic Plate (with suffix if I'm lucky) and a 3 socket helm if I don't have one already. Load them up with 7 PTopaz and you're ready for some NM Meph grinding.

Just a minor tip: Always keep a Flawless Amethyst in your stash in case u run into a Gem Shrine. Keep those perfect gems and sell em to Juju in packs

Quote Originally Posted by Archone View Post
    May I note something?

Why go for Dusk when that has a max of 4 sockets? There are a ton of decent Def armors with max 3 sockets, in NM.
    And you dont have to wait for Hell to get that Lem rune..

2. Lazy version, due to non-existent cow/travi runs, is that you do Tomb runs until lvl 24. Then do the Ancient quest for lvl 25.

3. If your ping is more suited for the EU server, let me know if you are going to play from the first hours of the ladder. Ill be arranging a list of player to play with!

Nice list otherwise! Now I know better how to get that elusive Shael rune, I always rage about early ladder!

Peace and love
    Untwinked means no help and play with what you find, shop, gamble, and craft, you'll have max 3 socket quests and max 3 imbue quests (and depending on how you want to play only 3 stat resets too). It will be hard to get to normal ancients by level 24 playing untwinked.

- D.J.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Fizoo-1366

Quote Originally Posted by Locohead View Post
    Interesting about the Bone Shield, with its higher block. That would be good for Rhyme; however, bone shield has max 2 sockets, so won't work for Ancients' Pledge.

Are staves of teleport really used by people? I usually play Sorc as my first char. Guess it could be nice for a Necro; expensive to recharge though.

I don't bother with Wealth runeword... I'd rather save the Lem and Ko for item upgrades or other uses. 4 Perfect Topaz armor is fine.

Here's my tip - you need to be at least L66 to purchase any Jeweler's items. I usually level in nightmare to at least L67 (often L70) and then go shopping at Larzuk in A5 for Jeweler's Gothic Plate (with suffix if I'm lucky) and a 3 socket helm if I don't have one already. Load them up with 7 PTopaz and you're ready for some NM Meph grinding.
    Ok, edited the guide to remove the reference to 3os bone shields.

I use staves of teleport until i get my hands on a teleport ammy later. Never had an enigma - ladder seasons are too short to build a legit one. :/

Staves of teleport aren't really expensive to recharge, as long as you keep an eye out for items you can vendor for big monies, like high end armor, 2H staffs, necro wands, etc.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Fizoo-1366

You can find the way out of most dungeons without maphack. There is actually a pattern!

Zath's Map Layouts
    http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/for...howtopic=36294

Here's a copy of a post by Zath from the Amazon Basin (made Dec 17, 2003 - 8:24 AM):

If we draw a diamond shape to represent the generic layout of a map, its notable features will usually be located on the four sides of this diamond. When a player traverses this map by following its edges, we say he is traveling in a left handed manner if he circles around the map in a clockwise direction, and in a right handed manner if he does so in a counter-clockwise direction. This is so named since one who travels in a left handed manner usually follows the left hand wall, and vice versa for right handed travel, as demonstrated by this illustration (http://www.geocities.com/zai_h/d2/map.html). If we arbitrarily number the four sides of a diamond map in a clockwise direction from 1 through 4, we will notice that certain maps will always contain some features in a set order. The following is a list of such maps, where left handed travel will move your through the listed features sequentially (e.g. 3 > 4 > 1 > 2 > 3), and right handed travel will let you visit them in the reverse order (e.g. 2 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 2).

Den of Evil *
    1): Entrance (Blood Moor)
    2): Corpsefire
    3): N/A
    4): N/A

The Crypt
    1): Entrance (The Burial Grounds)
    2): Bonebreaker

The Masoluem
    1): Entrance (The Burial Grounds)
    2): Gold Chest

The Cave *
    1): Entrance (Cold Plains)
    2): The Cave Level 2

Underground Passage *
    1): Entrance (Stony Field)
    2): Underground Passage Level 2
    3): Exit (Dark Wood)

Tower Cellars 1 to 4
    1): Entrance (Previous Level)
    2): Exit (Next Level)

The Hole *
    1): Entrance (Black Marsh)
    2): The Hole Level 2

The Pit *
    1): Entrance (Tamoe Highlands)
    2): The Pit Level 2

Inner Cloister
    Cross shaped garden in courtyard --- Barracks to NE
    Fountain with WP to right --- Barracks to NW
    Fountain with WP to left --- Barracks to SE

Jail Level 1
    1): Entrance (Barracks)
    2): Waypoint
    3): Exit (Jail Level 2)

Jail Level 2
    1): Entrance (Jail Level 1)
    2): Pitspawn Fouldog
    3): Exit (Jail Level 3)

Jail Level 3
    1): Entrance (Jail Level 2)
    2): Exit (Inner Cloister)

Catacombs Level 2
    1): Exit (Catacombs Level 3)

Sewers Level 2
    1): Entrance (Sewers Level 1)
    3): Exit (Sewers Level 3)

Sewers Level 3
    1): Entrance (Sewers Level 2)
    2): Radamant

Halls of the Dead Level 1 **
    1): Entrance (Dry hills)
    2): Exit (Halls of the Dead Level 2)

Halls of the Dead Level 2 **
    1): Entrance (Halls of the Dead Level 1)
    2): Exit (Halls of the Dead Level 3)
    3): Waypoint

Halls of the Dead Level 3 **
    1): Entrance (Halls of the Dead Level 2)
    2): Horadric Cube

Maggot Lair Level 1
    1): Exit (Maggot Lair Level 2)
    2): Entrance (Far Oasis)

Maggot Lair Level 2
    1): Exit (Maggot Lair Level 3)
    2): Entrance (Maggot Lair Level 1)

Claw Viper Temple Level 1 **
    1): Entrance (Valley of Snakes)
    2): Exit (Claw Viper Temple Level 2)

Canyon of the Magi (tomb signs from left to right)
    Circle, Half Circle, Square, Cross, Double Down Arrow, Triangle, Circle with Half Circle

Tal Rasha's True Tomb (Large) **
    1): Entrance (Canyon of the Magi)
    2): Duriel

Tal Rasha's False Tomb (Large) **
    3): Ancient Kaa the Souless

Tal Rasha's False Tombs (Small) **

Flayer Dungeon Level 1
    1): Entrance (Flayer Jungle)
    2): Exit (Flayer Dungeon Level 2)

Flayer Dungeon Level 2
    1): Entrance (Flayer Dungeon Level 1)
    2): Exit (Flayer Dungeon Level 3)

Durance of Hate Level 1
    1): Entrance (Travincal)
    2): Exit (Durance of Hate Level 2)

Durance of Hate Level 2
    1): Entrance (Durance of Hate Level 1)
    3): Exit (Durance of Hate Level 3)

Halls of Pain
    1): Waypoint
    2): Exit (Halls of Vaught)

Crystalline Passage
    1): Entrance (Arreat Plateau)
    2): Exit (Glacial Trail)
    3): Frozen River
    4): Waypoint

Glacial Trail
    1): Entrance (Crystalline Passage) & Waypoint
    2): Exit (Frozen Tundra)
    3): Drifter Cavern
    4): Bonesaw Breaker

Ancient's Way
    1): Entrance (Frozen Tundra)
    2): Exit (Arreat Summit)
    3): Icy Cellar
    4): Waypoint

Worldstone Keep Level 2
    1): Exit (Worldstone Keep Level 3)

*: Directions for the entrance and exit rooms in A1 underground areas can sometimes be hard to recognize as they are slightly larger than normal indoor rooms. The best way to help your memory is to examine the automap after you have explored the level fully, as the layout will be much clearer then.

**: Desert dungeons often have entrance rooms that open in 3 directions. In such a case, the entrance room is considered to be located on the side of the map where none of its paths lead to. If you enter the Claw Viper Temple and notice 3 hallways leading towards the NW, NE, and SE for example, we consider the room to be located on the SW side of the map, and thus the exit room will probably be on the NW side of the map.

Example 1: The fastest way to travel through the Tower Cellars is in a left handed direction.

Example 2: The fastest way to travel through the Maggot Lairs is in a right handed direction.

Example 3: An MF run through the Glacial Trail starting from the waypoint is best done in a right handed direction, as this will usually take you pass Bonesaw Breaker on your way to the Drifter Cavern, skipping the exit to the Frozen Tundra.

Disclaimer: Map features are technically related by their opening directions and not their relative locations on the map. If you enter Ancient's Way from the Frozen Tundra and find the entrance room to open towards the NE for example, the waypoint room will always open towards the NW, but the shortest route of travel will not necessarily be right handed. It is entirely possible for a large map to hook back on a itself, thereby positioning map features in unexpected locations. See the aforementioned illustration for more details.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Fizoo-1366

Courtesy bump for ladder season 2013-2014!

IncGamers Member

Nice list! But what about the arcane sanc? Any tips there?

I'll add a small list for bowazons when I get back from work. Damn you, work. Damn you.