Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Greatest sports moments of YOUR country

It wasn't "MY country" but I adored the body check against the Chinese women's hockey player last Olympics. I got too much nasty when I tried to look up the video.

I can't even remember who the opposing team was, but the girl pulled a tight radial turn and rammed her helmet into the Chinese player's gut. You could almost see her eyes pop out of their sockets.

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

kris, you can already imagine how embarrassing it is to be English, you don't need the English football team to demonstrate that!

However, when Argentina and Germany play, I think there should be a rule change to allow for them both to lose the match. I literally cannot decide which side I hope loses.

Quote Originally Posted by LozHinge the Unhinged View Post
    Botham's Ashes - another English underdog bites back moment in sport. At the time it was nothing short of astonishing and I was moved, even though I'm not a big fan of cricket. Astonishing individual effort that lifted an entire team.
    The 2005 Ashes worth mentioning too. And England may win the urn for the 4th time in a row this year

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LozHinge the Unhinged View Post
    kris, you can already imagine how embarrassing it is to be English, you don't need the English football team to demonstrate that!
    I don't think it's embarrassing to be English.

However, when Argentina and Germany play, I think there should be a rule change to allow for them both to lose the match. I literally cannot decide which side I hope loses.
    Regarding football, I for myself favour England to most other countries, including Argentina
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

henderson has scored for canada!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMf2fAXPS1Q

Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    Seriously, nobody outside of the US seriously cares about the Superbowl. Don't you have epic moments under the eyes of an international audience? My view of #1 may be a national exception, even though it has been a world championship, but I think nobody has beaten my #2 so far .
    Yeah but the only sports i like are football and soccer, and we suck at soccer. I try to watch the european leagues sometimes, but i don't know the players that well or follow it close. It's tough not having a home team.

The MLS has a chicago team, but that league isn't the same as watching these amazing clubs do amazing things.

Plus I answered subjectively, since my favorite sports moments were the bears winning and the bull's first three-peat.

For the whole country, you could put up some feel good stuff. For Feminists, there was that tennis match Where Billy Jean King beat that guy. Or if you're really into Racial Politics you could say Jesse Owens in the 1936 olympics, or Jackie Robinson playing baseball. But I was not yet alive and don't really care so much about those events. They're historical facts like Columbus accidently finding the Caribbean. I'm sure they were great moments for other people, but for me, to be a great sport moment there has to be an emotional attachment to it. You can't have that if it was before your time.

I'm sure I could come up with some more. Anyone that hates the Cubs might laugh and say Steve Bartman interfering with the ball and making the Cubs lose was pretty emotional for them. I'm not really a cubs hater (more of a baseball ignorer). And I didn't even see it happen in real time.

Or maybe you were looking not for greatest impact, but for most athletic, most amazing--that kind of thing. Well, there I wasn't far off with the bulls. Paxson's 3 was indeed pretty clutch, and it won the three-peat.
    http://www.craveonline.com/sports/ar...y-hero-in-1993
    Plus, the first three-peat was a really big deal--even non-basketball fans were into it.

Or the time Walter Payton's Ghost supposedly helped block a field goal to beat the packers. That was regular season, and it wasn't a ghost, but every game against your rival is a big deal.

I'll think about some more.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

I didn't mean winning by being overwhelmingly good, but achieving a remarkable feat or giving the whole nation an extraordinary emotional moment, see also SD's link. US Americans seem to be different to people here with respect to sports. It seems as if they are often cheering about success itself, so local events may have an effect which wouldn't be possible here.

There's no way that all of Germany is going to celebrate the victory of a particular team in the current Bundesliga season or even in an international tournament. This year it's two German teams being in the Europe Champion's League final, so we already had our national moment about it. The most which a sports club can expect here is the acknowledgement of let's say two thirds of the people while 20% may even be unhappy about the outcome.

It doesn't even have to be a victory. Wembley 1966 might be called an epic sports moment for both Germany and England. For Englishmen, it was the victory, of course while for Germany it might be a match it which it needed an irregular goal (or two, for nitpickers) to be defeated.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

The sports that are popular in America are not as popular elsewhere, if the USA were to face another nation in football or baseball or basketball, victory would be expected and defeat would be a great disappointment (this is less the case with baseball in recent years). So there isn't a nationally popular sport where we would have long established rivalries with other nations where we are on equal footing.

I'm not even a fan of USA soccer/futbol, and keep in mind, when they play a team like Mexico on American soil, 80% of the fans (including me) are rooting for Mexico, so there isn't national unity even for the national team.

The 1980 US Men's Hockey Team gets a lot of this kind of attention, they were underdogs and won, and we do like underdogs over here. Its not quite as exciting to see the Dream Team kill everyone by 30+ points as it is to see a bunch of college kids knock off Soviet professionals. That's the only thing I can think of that is in the realm of what you're asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Housewares View Post
    The sports that are popular in America are not as popular elsewhere, if the USA were to face another nation in football or baseball or basketball, victory would be expected and defeat would be a great disappointment (this is less the case with baseball in recent years). So there isn't a nationally popular sport where we would have long established rivalries with other nations where we are on equal footing.

I'm not even a fan of USA soccer/futbol, and keep in mind, when they play a team like Mexico on American soil, 80% of the fans (including me) are rooting for Mexico, so there isn't national unity even for the national team.

The 1980 US Men's Hockey Team gets a lot of this kind of attention, they were underdogs and won, and we do like underdogs over here. Its not quite as exciting to see the Dream Team kill everyone by 30+ points as it is to see a bunch of college kids knock off Soviet professionals. That's the only thing I can think of that is in the realm of what you're asking for.
    That's a good one, but it also feels like a historical footnote and not a "great victory". Perhaps because it too was before I was born.

I agree that we don't really associate ourselves with national teams vs another. I mean if i didn't have a buddy crashing at my place who was into the olympics, I wouldn't have even turned much of it on. Even the coverage is really all about medal counts.

Plus, the country is so big, our rivalries are between states and cities in national leagues. The Bears and the packers, the cubs and the cardinals, etc, so all the great sporting events are those teams, and occasionally, between some college teams. Ohio State and Michigan comes to mind in football. So those are the "big" games with all the emotion. Remember, the US is pretty big, and a lot of our citizens have never left the country. Heck, I've only gone on one international vacation that wasn't just some tourist beach, and that was only because I had family there. I don't even have a valid passport anymore.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22443925

Had to share this one :P
    Freaking huge achievement for us when it comes to tennis and it happened yesterday