Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Pigford, or what's wrong with America.

Not to throw another log on the fire, but does anybody know what the heck is up with this whole "Monsanto" thing that my liberal and libertarian friends keep plastering all over facebook? I know there was a GMO protection law passed recently, but I can't get anything beyond conspiracy theories out of them. I wasn't following it early on, and now it's gotten to the point where my eyes glaze over whenever I see the name. I find the whole GMO scare numbskull and am loathe to dig through the pages of Google propaganda about it.

Feel free to answer or ignore, just thought I'd ask.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Meh - I think GMO labels are fine if all it's required to do is disclose it's GMO (no crap warnings beyond that or lawsuits for not disclosing that some id10t with no evidence THINKS it MIGHT cause SomeThing without PROOF!.)
    I dislike GMO patients, Genetic patents are cutting edge if done via the lab so OK you can grant it but limit it to 7 years and really look at if they made a change beyond something you can do by breeding, which Farmers have been doing by saving and planting the better producing more resistant seeds since Mendel and the peas or before and that's almost GMO IMHO - All Patents copyrights etc should have a limited time (7 years was the old rule and IMHO that's more than enough) and Disney is the worst offender IMHO but Monsanto gets worse press.

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Stevinator View Post
    Loz~
    Everything was going along fine. I was going to respond to #72, but in the middle he got a little crazy. Apparently, Obama is ***, and Jmerv is going to kill me then try to overthrow the government (or he thinks he already IS the government...the line isn't clear to me). Either way, i submit a proposal to change the plan and have all attempts at my life moved to AFTER the attempts to overthrow the government. I'm more of a dessert than an entree anyhow.
    The standard MervWars dissonance levels leapt up by several orders of magnitude, which triggered an alarm and prompted a goof post from me. It rarely happens these days, I'm guessing the early warning system is worn out.

Anyway, when he recovers, can you let him know that he's really focused on the wrong scandal. Benghazi is trumped up silliness, whereas the IRS deal is a real scandal. One might argue the scandal isn't that they targeted right wing 504s, but that they didn't also target left wing 504s (since 504's aren't supposed to be political). Details, I suppose but either way, it's a real and actual scandal. It may not lead back to Obama, but in the aftermath I feel like no one is really doing anything about it but shuffling some chairs around.
    Oh great, I'm a kid again, passing messages between my parents. Yay!

Then last night I heard that Eric Holder may have perjured himself over the Fox News security leaks thing. The fox news thing was legal but dirty politics, perjury is a crime. So that's potentially an actual scandal. This seems to be the scandal thread, so we'll see if we get a conherent Jmerv on monday.
    There are lies, damned lies, statistics and then the stuff that comes out of politician's mouths. Perjury is merely a mistimed lie.

Tech~

The ruling was that they do NOT have to label food as GMO. The request that they do is pretty dumb, because they're not asking to say how it was modified. Better would be if there was a problem with one of the new protiens, and make them label with that. Just saying GMO is meaningless.

I just can't wrap my head around why some people seem to freak out over it so much. The crap I see, you would think this is a pending extinction event. This is one of those instances where the left (yes, I acknowledge this is a beast of the left) embarrasses me. Just like they killed Steve Jobs. Yes, I said it. Hippy-dippy "western medicine is bad" BS killed him, because if he hadn't went all eastern guru on his cancer, they would have likely been able to get him on real treatment soon enough to beat it back.

@Bob: Yeah, I'm pretty uncomfortable with patenting a living thing too, especially for an extended period of time. That gets uber-creepy and dystopian thinking about it too much.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Meh - if you want to talk about what's really wrong,

U.S. Justice Dept. Fights to Stop Release of Secret Court Opinion on Unlawful Surveillance of Americans

your not allowed to.

Even if it's a Judicial ruling based on the constitution and paid for with tax dollars

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
    Just like they killed Steve Jobs. Yes, I said it. Hippy-dippy "western medicine is bad" BS killed him, because if he hadn't went all eastern guru on his cancer, they would have likely been able to get him on real treatment soon enough to beat it back.
    He died because conventional medicine cannot cure every disease yet - like the kind of cancer he had. Trying out esoteric BS as well doesn't mean that he was talked into neglecting conventional treatments and died from that. If the doctor tells you that you have 6 months left, you may try other ways to save your life. Well, he tried and it didn't help either.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    He died because conventional medicine cannot cure every disease yet - like the kind of cancer he had. Trying out esoteric BS as well doesn't mean that he was talked into neglecting conventional treatments and died from that. If the doctor tells you that you have 6 months left, you may try other ways to save your life. Well, he tried and it didn't help either.
    What you're talking about is what most people do, he did the exact opposite. He refused western (AKA "real") medicine from the beginning and wouldn't undergo traditional treatment until it was obvious the other stuff wasn't working. The people around him were trying to get him to undergo proper treatment, but he let his hippy mindset overrule common sense. They found the cancer quite early and his prognosis would have been really good if he didn't let it go like that. The BS quack medicine brainwashing happened long before he got cancer, and people close to him couldn't pry it away from him quickly enough to save his life.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Well OK, I don't know details, but he was grown up and he certainly had the competence to make reasonable decisions by himself. If it was as you said, it didn't start with others brainwashing him, but choosing to listen to what he wanted to hear. The problem wasn't the others, but him, just as with the issue of all the misconceptions and even nonsense which people tend to believe in.

I doubt that doing something against BS medicine will help, that's just the sypmtom. The problem is the willingness of people to espouse superstitions. It seems the more people turn away from religion, the more believe in some BS pseudo religion. Also, scientific discoveries since Newton are beyond the minds of most people (no offense meant... I mean how many people are able to solve differential equations? Most probably cannot even divide on paper ), so it's a common reaction to reject it out of spite or turn it into one's own esoteric BS out of it, ready to be exploited by the scum of mankind and those who didn't lose their business sense and unscrupulousness during their self-hynosis.

I'm just speculating, but Steve Jobs probably was more a wolf than a sheep in that matter, using it as a means to exert power, consciously or unconsciously, simply because he more a wolf than a sheep by nature.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    Even if it's a Judicial ruling based on the constitution and paid for with tax dollars
    My point is that the true problem isn't intelligent people like Jobs being stupid enough to believe the whole Jenny McCarthy anti-science stupidity in favor of Oriental mythology. My point is that theoretically intelligent people like Steve are led around by the nose like cattle - they're OUTRAGED with the most outrageous outrage outrageable, but only on issues that they're directed towards. Furthermore, they are generally willing and even eager to be led, because it's all about them getting confirmation or free stuff, rather than taking personal responsibility.

It's that whole "Overton Window" principle in practice; Nixon was still the MOST EBIL PREZIDENT EVAH!!!11!! but our lord and savior Obama can do no wrong despite lying over the coffins of four dead officers he was supposed to support. Likewise, militant queers and atheists can suborn the 100+ year old Boy Scouts, and teachers can routinely rape and molest children, but when Geno's Cheesesteaks in Philly posts that they will only serve English speakers, or Catholic priests molest a tiny fraction of the percentage found in Public schools, it's wall-to-wall Goldstein time.