Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Is AH mandatory?

Hello everyone,

Old-school D2 player here. I've missed the original release due to some reasons and now I'm thinking of buying the game. I absolutely don't care about the graphics, it's all about the gameplay.

The main thing that bothers me is Auction House. Is AH mandatory for progress? I've read a lot of opinions that without AH the progress is impossible and that the very drop system is balanced around players ability to buy things. This is the main turn off for me, because the most favorite thing in D2 for me was gearing myself on the way. AH makes wonders in WoW but I'm afraid of what it could do to Diablo gameplay.

In general how far is it from D2 in terms of gameplay? Tried Torchlight 2, but it lacks depth for me. The gameplay is very D2-ish, but the rest just lacks substance. I feel like wasting time playing it, because I don't care about the world and the lore. With all due respect to D2 creators that were behind it.

BattleTag kestegs-1550

Re: Is AH mandatory?

Well, I said this in the other thread, but yes, it's very viable.

There's also a D3 single player forum here, so if you decide to play you may want to ask some questions there.

AH is certainly NOT mandatory if you are willing to spend a bit of time farming / leveling your chars. I have beaten Inferno with one of each class (SC on mp 0) using only self found items.

BattleTag Gus-2965

Same as fmulder, finishing the game in Inferno MP0 is totally feasible, even without farming too much.

For higher MP values, it seems difficult to get rid of the AH.

BattleTag Elly-1983

Has anyone gone right to the top without using the AH? I am planning to do it but I am assuming it can be done and perhaps it's just not possible, not without an inordinate amount of farming.
    Elly - Admin,
    Diablo: IncGamers on Twitter on You Tube on Facebook
    DiabloNut.Com (Diablo 3 database) - Blue Post Tracker - Diablo3Ladders.Com

New to Diablo 3? Read this great primer.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, you behaviour does.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    Has anyone gone right to the top without using the AH? I am planning to do it but I am assuming it can be done and perhaps it's just not possible, not without an inordinate amount of farming.
    I am poorer than most players. Perhaps 25% of my gear is self found, that's counting crafts. Perhaps if you're willing to devote literally over 9,000 hours you can find everything yourself, but even basic points such as "a Str Skorn with Lifesteal" will elude you forever I'd suspect.

BattleTag Gus-2965

I do not know someone who has done it. All my friends that are playing in higher MP levels used the AH.

BattleTag Majo666-2473

I play completely selffound and have roughly 700 hours invested in my wizard.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/M.../hero/18986033

I can do MP3-MP4 but often stay at MP1 for speed

Site Contributor

I don't think AH is needed, but it sure does help. Would be interesting iron-born once items are in.

While you absolutely can play without using the AH, you can't play in public games. You can't keep up.