Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

Re: The Ethics of Warfare, Pt XXII

Hmm.

I see that the Commander of Naval Air Forces Atlantic has come out in support of aircraft carriers; tint me surprised. Not that I disagree with him, the high value of a carrier as a tactical and strategic weapon system is as plain as the nose on your face. Unfortunately, you can't spell "high value" without spelling "high value/vulnerable target". There again, unless it's a stand-up war with a technological near-equal, carriers seem fairly safe. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Let's give the Commander of Naval Air Forces Atlantic a cautious thumbs-up.

I don't know though, call me a stick-in-the-mud ... but I think the decision to kill folks should always rest with human beings - from strategy down to the decision to pull the trigger/pin/plug/whatever.
    By that yardstick though - where is the morality of mines (the first robot warriors of the modern age)? Tricky question.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

A few Quotes.

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

The noblest fate that a man can endure is to place his own mortal body between his loved home and the war's desolation.

Maybe some day they'll get everything nice and tidy and we'll have that thing we sing about, when "we ain't gonna study war no more." Maybe. Maybe the same day the leopard will take off his spots and get a job as a Jersey cow, too.

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."

The meek shall inherit the earth - a 6 foot plot above them.

The most expensive thing in the world is a second-best military establishment, good but not good enough to win.

War is not violence and killing, pure and simple; war is controlled violence, for a purpose. The purpose of war is to support your government's decisions by force. The purpose is never to kill the enemy just to be killing him but to make him do what you want him to do. Not killing... but controlled and purposeful violence.

ROBERT A. HEINLEIN
    Last edited by BobCox2; 19-05-2013 at 22:57.

Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    A few Quotes.
    I think #3 and #7 are from Starship Troopers. Without Google checking. Anyone want to shoot me down?
    Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.
    And that, good sir, would be my new sig if I had one.

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    I think #3 and #7 are from Starship Troopers. Without Google checking. Anyone want to shoot me down?
    well he's quoting Heinlein, so as far as I know they could all be from Starship Troopers

BattleTag What Me Worry?

# 2 3 and 7 are the ones from Starship Troopers.

# 2 3 and 7 are the ones from Starship Troopers.
    So I got 2 out of 3. I'll take it.

I need to re-read more; it's been 30 years in some cases. Sadly I don't have a lot of him in my library.

Back on-thread, Russia apparently announced that it will be building anti-Terror robots. What could go wrong?

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

Are they giant robots?

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

Are they pink robots?

Just keep laughing.

This here's the OBSOLETE version; don't come crying to me if you start hearing the theme music playing one night.

If one considers Breslan, would it be surprising if Russia ignores Human Rights Watch out-of-hand? That's not even taking into account the fact that most of these groups were originally founded with assistance and even financing from the GRU... kind of like being berated by your pet dog.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

If your talking obsolete

1960: The General Electric Walking Truck was a 3,000 pound, four-legged robot that could walk four miles an hour.